This forum is a place to discuss new ideas and also new wiki updates will be placed here.

[New Page] BeNeLux Places

Post by moweez
Open for discussion: Benelux Places
moweez
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

POSTER_ID:4565555

Send a message
Last edited by moweez on Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by annickdw
werkt er iemand toevallig bij een telefoonmaatschappij?

Ik kan mij voorstellen dat in Belgie de noodnummers ook nationaal zijn (al zijn er pogingen om te internationaliseren), maar geen idee voor welke nummers en hoe...

EDIT: gaan we die vermelden in places???
bedenking: misschien wel... bij de consultatiebureaus (bij ons op 't werk) vermeld ik ook de nummer van de K&G-lijn (algemene nummer die nationaal geldt)
annickdw
Send a message

Post by annickdw
petervdveen wrote:
annickdw wrote: bedenking: misschien wel... bij de consultatiebureaus (bij ons op 't werk) vermeld ik ook de nummer van de K&G-lijn (algemene nummer die nationaal geldt)
Welke lijn? :P
Jullie hebben een andere organisatie : de consultatiebureaus ;)
annickdw
Send a message

Post by Dutchdirt
I kinda like the [P] for all parkings. It's short, thus saving a lot of typing and mapspace, and everybody understands the symbol.

Sent from HTC_M8
Dutchdirt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Dutchdirt
For gas stations my vote is to draw them as big as reasonably possible. To improve their visibility on the map. So an area encompassing building, canopy and forecourt.

Sent from HTC_M8
Dutchdirt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Dutchdirt
Shouldn't we add some remarks about industrial estates like Bedrijventerrein Het Klooster or Industrieterrein Moerdijk. They cover a lot of mapspace but imho most people want to navigate to individual businesses on the estate instead of the estate themselves.

Sent from HTC_M8
Dutchdirt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Dutchdirt
I don't see the point (!) of a bedrijventerrein.

Sent from HTC_M8
Dutchdirt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Leorenaud
Dacht dat gas stations area moesten zijn, omdat ze dan file meldingen voorkomen.
Leorenaud
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by moweez
Thanks for your comments!
stelling28 wrote: Places
Churches are not mentioned as area-places. Can I suggest to add them? For navigation-purpose a church is often a good landmark, also because of the height.
Most churches will have an area size of more than 500 m2, and thus should be added according to the guidelines as they are now. Also, the table explicitly deals with churches at the category `Religious Center`. If there is a need for another mention, where would you like to see it?
stelling28 wrote: Gas station
In the past I learned that that the area of a gas station should only contain the building. I understand that this is now changed to the full area. Do I understand this correctly? And do I need to change the existing gas stations, when applicable?
There has been a lot of debate about it, nationally as well as internationally. It appeared that the area, contrary to what we all thought, is not bound to a gas station for keeping the data like gas prices, or for separating traffic data. Also, gas stations even could be a Point Place to work well. The only valid argument of drawing an area, is the visibility in the app. Users complain when they don´t see a gas station in the neighbourhood. So, when drawing gas stations as area places, the area´s should be as large as possible, to have a fair chance of showing in the app. Another advantage could be that perhaps users now are more likely to update prices.
We could also decide to have area places follow the same guidelines as other places, thus a Point place for smaller area´s, and an Area for larger places, only covering the building. Open for discussion.
stelling28 wrote: Parking lots
When I read the first principal of a parking lot, I think people could interpret that a public paid parking lot should not drawn. May be it is good to explicitly mention that they should be drawn.
Where in the text would you suggest?
stelling28 wrote: I'm surprised about the naming. I currently have habit of parking lots with a name to add [P] before the actual name. Names of PL's are often the same of a building of street and then you will see a grey area in live map and app with a name. I don't know how a user can see otherwise that it is a PL. And more or less the same goes for leaving the name blank. Then you will only see a grey area, no clue what it is. If this is the agreed guideline of course I will start to follow it, but I want to be sure about is.
In the past, the [P] symbol would yield a Parking Lot symbol in the app. Nowadays, these symbols will be shown for every Parking Lot Area in the neighbourhood of your destiny. Thus a [P] is not necessary anymore to generate that symbol. However, the symbols don't appear when you are just driving around, and grey area's are not very informative either, neither are uninformative names. Do you (or anybody else of course) have suggestions to the naming of Parking Lots?
moweez
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by moweez
I will make separate topics for the ongoing discussion in this thread in a few days.
moweez
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message