The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Adding Directional Marker to Interstate Lost Shields in Clie

Post by
That is about all there is to say, but to be more descriptive, when I has I-520 listed as such, the shields showed up in the client, but when I listed I-520 E & I-520 W, the shields disappeared. Did I do something wrong or is it just a fault of the client between what the wiki suggests as to name the freeways and the limitations of the client?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

POSTER_ID:1283477

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
LiveMap doesn't update worth a crap. The latest attempt at shield generation was for client only. Livemap still has a smattering from previous updates, years ago...
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I-20 is properly labeled, including segments last edited by you, such as this one using the standard naming convention with the space, and that is likely why you have a shield there.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
gettingthere wrote:Although proper labeling should also include the direction, yes? 'I- 20 E' and 'I- 20 W'.

http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/How_ ... s#Highways
The directional stuff is nice for reporting purposes only. In that interstate's case, I didn't want to spend time renaming it for the direction labeling as I have loads of update requests to tackle.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Here's a new tidbit on shield generation: while many roads will get them automatically, if there are exceptions, such as appears to be the case with any directional-specific segment names (S, N, E, or W suffix), a manual process must be kicked off to get the segments to generate shields.

That much we knew already. What I learned today is that this manual process doesn't force a tile rebuild in the server. So... and you vets know where I'm going already :D, in order for the client to show the shield for those manually-processed areas, the segments or segments in the same tile must be edited slightly, such as a minor geometry change, so that the server rebuilds the segment.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Yeah, I really don't understand why the process is the way it is. It's easy enough to use a regexp to find out what shield to generate for most any segment. This is very much a workaround and should be an exception, not the rule...
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
jenncard wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Wait, so when we follow the naming standards according to the wiki, that breaks the shield?
Not always, no. It's not broken until you notice it is so. ;)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
mapcat wrote:
gettingthere wrote:Instructions to turn right onto a ramp marked "to US 23 S" came out "Turn right on U S Twenty Three South", apparently as a result of the ramp bug. Now I just have to find some with hyphens.
On-ramps are not announced as the normal configuration of TTS. Waze set it up so that it only mentions the name of the road you are going to. At least, that's what I've been told. Now, I have not done extensive testing on this.

The ramp bug requires two consecutive ramp segments for the first one to not be announced.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
mapcat wrote:The road it was leading to was named "US Hwy 23 S". I don't think I heard "highway" in the instructions. So I'm pretty sure the TTS was reading the ramp name. The missing "to" was the bug I was referring to since (I think) someone called that a bug here before.
Very much possible about the name. However, the code specifically drops the "to" from the ramp name, so it doesn't say, "Take a right at to U S twenty-three south."
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Follow-up: I have verified with several segments that shields have properly generated after making minor geometry adjustments to force the tiles to refresh.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
From what I understand with some communications back and forth with Waze support - the shield functionality is 'semi-automatic' at this time. In order for the Waze client to show the shields, the road segments must be somehow marked on the back end with the shield type. We as map editors don't have direct access to being able to directly control whether a road has shields or not.

I believe that when this functionality was rolled out with version 2.4, Waze did something on the back end to enable the shields on road types of Interstate, US Highway and State Highway - based on road names. As you found out, it seems that renaming the road segment can break the current shields.

I don't know that there is something scheduled to run on the back end that continues to add/re-add road shields based on road naming of the road types listed above. This does not appear to be the case since in the area that I manage some Interstates still don't have shields for many weeks - Waze support has not been notified on all of the roads missing shields in my area.

For roads, in my area, that were not showing shields - I sent a permalink with ALL of the road segments (in your example I- 520 E and I- 520 W - all segments selected) that should have shields to Waze Support and they added them manually. The shields then showed up in the Waze application after a few days.

Short answer - create a permalink with all segments selected and email to support@waze.com stating that you need Interstate 520 shields added.

Per mapcat's response - We have Interstates in San Diego that do have the space after the 'I' and shields still have not been automatically generated.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico