Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Time-of-day-based turn restrictions

Post by
Is there some way to indicate that a turn restriction is only active at certain times of the day (and on certain days of the week)? For example, some busy intersections on narrow streets don't allow left turns during the business day (or during school days).

POSTER_ID:4255912

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
The onus is on the driver to follow real-life turn restrictions before listening to a nav device. I'd rather impact the fewest number of people and that usually means leaving it open.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by bmitch3020
I agree that disabling the turn makes the most sense, as long as there are other ways to get between the two points without a long detour. However, some directions I leave enabled because navigating around it would be a mess and it's only restricted for a few hours during rush hour. E.g. all lanes of I-66 inside the DC beltway are HOV during rush hour, but turning all the entrance ramps into HOV lanes (parking lot roads) would make a navigation mess for any other time of the day.

The other thing to consider is if you disable the turn, Waze will likely raise a map issue there because people make the turn often enough to signal an invalid restriction. Because of that, I often point the user over to waze.uservoice.com and ask them to vote for the time based restrictions entry. Otherwise, you'll have other editors and IGN's constantly undoing this restriction.
bmitch3020
Send a message
Brandon
Northern Virginia Area Manager

Post by CBenson
Hmm. Maybe we need an agreed upon policy on this issue. My default has been to leave the time base restrictions unrestricted. In fact in downtown Washington, DC I would guess that over half the update requests I respond to I'm telling the requester that waze doesn't yet handle time based restrictions.

Clearly I haven't reached the conclusion that it is better to get a UR complaining that waze didn't give the shortest route than a UR complaing of being cited for making an illegal turn. It seems to me that it is a lot easier to decide not to make a time restricted turn when being routed than it is to decide make a turn that is currently open. There are also the cases where the restrictions are incompatible - such as for a road that is one-way into town in the morning and one way out of town in the evening. In such a case, the restriction can't be enabled as there are two incompatible restrictions. Waze is going to route someone into oncoming traffic.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by dmcconachie
jhfrontz wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:There's no way to do this, however it's on the to-do list.
OK, thanks. So what's the conventional wisdom on how to handle them? Just act like they don't exist?
That's about your only option at the moment I'm afraid.
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
The best practice is for the AM to make a judgement as to what would be most useful.
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
So you edited the wiki, last edited by a Waze Champ in August, to reflect a thread that was last updated in January?
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
I wasn't questioning your ability to do it so much as whether or not you should!

It is both a pro and a con that the wiki can be updated by anyone hence why we have a dedicated sub-forum to discuss proposed wiki changes now.

via Tapatalk
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
Would appear to require discussion rather than gung-ho editing then.

via Tapatalk
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
Right, first things first, I wouldn't, and I don't believe any one of the other Waze Champs would, warn "newbies" to ignore the wiki - a significant amount of work has gone into it and it should be the first resource of any new user or editor. I refer to it daily as do many others. Is it perfect? Absolutely not! Should it be protected? Absolutely! Which, again, is why we've set up the wiki changes forum to discuss matters that are difficult which this is a prime example. To suggest it's in a sorry state is a bit extreme.

Secondly, there really is no need to get defensive. I have no doubt that your motives were well intentioned. If I suspected for a second that any editor's actions were anything but I would be recommending to Waze that their wiki account be suspended! Well intentioned people still make mistakes, myself very much included.
jhfrontz wrote:Keep up the good work!
Thanks, I will.
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by gerben
I wouldn't expect it soon though...
gerben
Send a message
Nokia Lumia 920 (WP8 3.7.6 client)
Countrymanager The Netherlands
[img]https:///EcBKq[/img][img]https:///WS6zp[/img][img]https:///Y17fx[/img]https://img69.imageshack.us/img69/35/luiconring.png