The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Phantom Landmarks

Post by heylance
Hi All,

In my neighborhood, we have a large man-made lake (aka. a fake lake, or a "flake"). When I first joined waze, I saw strange landmarks near the flake which did not accurately represent its size or shape. I've never seen these landmarks appear in either Cartouche or Papyrus, just in Live Maps and my Android client (all production and beta versions). I assumed that another editor had already deleted them and that they would disappear from the Live Maps at some point.

Since getting into editing, I've added an accurate landmark for my flake (yes, I call it "my flake", because I row on it and bike/walk around it regularly). While the post-1/1/12 map updates are progressing today, I'm noticing that the old, phantom landmarks are remaining on the map even while my newer, accurate landmark is appearing on the Live Maps. In fact, they are overlapping each other. Still, the inaccurate landmarks do not appear in Cartouche or Papyrus.

Since I can't permalink the Live Map, here are links to the areas in question in Papyrus. Please find the same location in Live Map to see the issue (search for "4000 W South Jordan Pkwy, South Jordan, UT"). As of this post, the issue is evident when toggling between the 3 lowest zoom levels.

Upper Oquirrh Lake: https://www.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=4& ... TTTTFTTTTT
Down the road from Oquirrh Lake: https://www.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=5& ... TTTTFTTTTT (there is no flake down here, these shouldn't exist at all)

I'm not sure where these phantom landmarks are coming from, but they are eyesores and I want to get rid of them. Any thoughts?
heylance

POSTER_ID:4702057

Send a message
mickeyb1ueeyes
HTC Thunderbolt • Android 2.3.4 (BAMF Forever 1.10 ROM) • waze 2.9.99.119 beta
Macbook Air 13" • Mac OS 10.7.2
2010 Toyota Camry Hybrid (avg 39 MPG)
Salt Lake Valley, UT Area Manager

Post by gettingthere
They come from a source that we don't have access to in the Waze Map Editor. Waze support may be able to remove them if you provide them with details and coordinates.

www.waze.com/support
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico