Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by Calopez78
geotom wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
Upto a few days ago I have updated so many street names, marking a street part, then Edit Address, then edit Country: City: Street: and Apply, then save.

Now nothing happens when I press Apply...
Same for me, issue began a few days ago
Calopez78
Emeritus Local Champ
Emeritus Local Champ
Send a message
Carlos A. López-Calopez78
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/69/W ... 00k_5c.png
CM: Colombia
"Experto" en Colombia: Navegación/Ruteo
Moderador:Foro de Colombia.
Wiki: Waze en Colombia

Post by CBenson
R4CLucky14 wrote:
top_gun_de wrote:As of today, the street direction "no entrance" is gone, I see only "two way", "one-way" (2x) and "unknown". How can I set a street to "no entrance" to prevent routing through the street?

Best regards,

Detlev
No Entrance never stopped routing. It only made the road unknown. Delete the street if it's unroutable. Why have a unroutable street to begin with? Waze is about routing vehicles from A to B...
I simply don't believe this. No entrance never stopped routing on its own. But there have been plenty of examples of where waze routed over a non-routable segment and then didn't route over it when changed to "no entrance."
Why have unroutable street types if your not going to use them? Clearly the waze developers think (thought?) they would have some use even though waze is about routing vehicles from A to B. That being said, as they are routeable, I tend to delete them unless they help prevent automatic map problems.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
bgodette wrote:
CBenson wrote:Why have unroutable street types if your not going to use them?
They exist because they were in the TIGER data set, same thing for all the different Landmark types. Far easier and safer to import everything you can, than to throw out something that might be important because it was mislabeled in the data you're importing.
Sure. I'm assuming its not just TIGER data, but an approximation of other map data sorces as well. So the waze developers saw fit to include this data in the waze database. Its not like they included all the data in the TIGER database. It seems that simply saying non-routeable segments are not useful and deleting them is contrary to some initial waze decision. I'm willing to do this if the data are causing problems. But I'm not going to second guess the developers decision just because I don't see how the data fit into the mission of waze.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
gettingthere wrote:The TIGER (or any other initial source) data was only a starting point (over 2 years ago now). It's very likely that things have changes in the minds of Waze since then.
Sure. Then they should tell us. I'm not going to delete thing based on likelihood of changes in the minds of Waze.
gettingthere wrote:As it stands now, there are no plans to enable a pedestrian mode in Waze. So the best recommendation now is to delete non-drivable road types if there is no purpose for them to be on the map for commuters driving a vehicle If they are needed to stay for some other function (such as to avoid jams on adjoining roads for people who are using Waze out of scope from it's intended function - trains, bicycles, etc) - keep them mapped and be sure they are not junctioned to the road network..
But I don't know what functions they may or may not be serving. So it difficult to make that call. What the waze road map is for map problem generation, map display, etc matters.
gettingthere wrote:Sorry, but I feel that it is silly to leave mapped elements on the map that are serving no purpose for commuters driving a vehicle.
Sorry too, don't know why I'm feeling this ornery this morning - I have had my coffee. But I feel it is silly to eliminate valid information just because I don't see its purpose.
gettingthere wrote:Are you also leaving roads in your area that are not even valid,
No.
gettingthere wrote:don't exist,
No.
gettingthere wrote:don't go anywhere
Yes.
gettingthere wrote:just because they were imported from TIGER? Why?
Because I don't feel qualified to delete valid information that does not cause any problems. All things being equal (or unknown) the more data the better.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
BrianCanFixIT wrote:
gettingthere wrote:Really, there is no valid reason to have a true, don't route me onto this road 'no entrance'.
So for a college campus with some roads restricted (unless you work on campus), how do you suggest I restrict access?
If people using waze actually use the restricted roads, I would suggest putting a little segment of parking lot road near the entrance of each entrance to the restricted area and setting the turn restriction on and off of the parking lot segment to restricted (like here). If no wazer will ever use the roads, I would suggest unconnecting them from the unrestricted roads.

Yes a working don't route on me road segment would be very helpful. Although even in these circumstance its really don't route on me unless there is an alternative. If you are routing to or from the the restricted roads they can be used for routing, otherwise they should not be used in routes.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
petervdveen wrote:For a school campus you can indeed use private road.
This doesn't prevent routing through the school campus (at least at the present time on the NA server).
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
But will they destroy turn restrictions like parking lot roads do now in the future? ;)
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
While that would work, shouldn't you be able to address your own reported map issues with becoming an area manager?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Daknife
Okay, I'm seeing something new that I don't really care for. Problem reports where the system reports a possible disconnect between two roads. It used to give you the options to leave it open, close it as solved or close it as Not a Problem. I frequently see problem reports regarding parking lots. Someone drives into a parking lot and then back out and the system reports it as a possible problem due to there being no road mapped through the parking lot.

I haven't had time to edit for a couple days, so today is the first time I noticed that the close options have been changed to Open, Solved, and Not Identified. Marking a problem report for these parking lot issues as not a problem seems to me to be a much better resolution than marking it Not Identified. As I have identified that it is not a problem, unless we want to start mapping every possible route through every parking lot that is.

What is the logic behind the change and how does it affect how we should be treating such reports?
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
Will do, thanks for the quick response.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA