Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

WME Defect: Missing Road Map Problems

Post by bmitch3020
I've seen a bunch of bad "Missing Road" map problems that are invalid in Alexandria, VA. I suspect a few are from Wazing on a plane since National Airport is nearby. But this one (permalink) is averaging two different streets (note the drive up S Washington St) where the individual drives line up well with each street. Looks like a defect in the automatic problem system. Any devs watching the forum?

bmitch3020

POSTER_ID:5048107

Send a message
Brandon
Northern Virginia Area Manager

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Submit this via the Support page nanorep form. As CBenson wrote already, we've seen this happen with parallel roads. This is the first time I've seen this happen with opposite corners of a rectangular area like this, but that is clearly what is happening: waze is averaging across two completely different routes. This is a defect for sure.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CBenson wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:This shows an actual GPS trail going straight across those blocks.
But shouldn't it take more than one errant GPS trail to generate a map problem.
Yes, it should, and this has been a topic of conversation before. I/We had been assured that the algorithm was adjusted, and it appeared to be fixed.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by bmitch3020
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Submit this via the Support page nanorep form.
I sent it in. Hopefully it gets escalated to the devs.
bmitch3020
Send a message
Brandon

Post by bmitch3020
No response from nanorep yet. But came across another one today. In this case, a single bad GPS track threw the algorithm off. permalink

http://i.imgur.com/4WRkG.jpg
bmitch3020
Send a message
Brandon

Post by bmitch3020
fvwazing wrote:Do I see high voltage lines parallel to Dominion Bike Trail? (faint greyish lines)
Yup, there's a substation just north of S Sterling Blvd adjacent to the trail. I'm not trying to figure out why there's a bad GPS track, things happen, we're dealing with cell phone GPS's. But like CBenson says, one bad track shouldn't generate a report.
bmitch3020
Send a message
Brandon

Post by bmitch3020
fvwazing wrote:High voltage or a tunnel would create problems again and again, is there really only 1 track that caused the problem?
WME only shows 1 bad track, but who knows if there's more. To your point, I'd like to see Waze use the accuracy value from the GPS fix to determine if the GPS data can be used by the servers. If there's a bad fix from a tunnel or power line, then ignore the data.

That said, if there are multiple tracks that closely match the existing streets, then there's no need to suggest realigning the roads. That would solve this defect without require a new app release.
bmitch3020
Send a message
Brandon

Post by bmitch3020
jasonh300 wrote:I think there's more than one track there. That line looks a bit thick.
The GPS layer only shows a single line of arrows on this path, and multiple sets of arrows going on the existing streets. There are also a lot of other errant arrows in this area, and I'd hope that each one isn't opening (and reopening) map problems.
bmitch3020
Send a message
Brandon

Post by bozwell
Surely the point of this automated system is to highlight potential problems to be reviewed by a human. Just mark it as solved and move on. To me a few false positives are better than it not picking up anything at all.
bozwell
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I too have been seeing some similiar issues, but not as clear as the your example. This did come up last year and waze acknowledged that was a problem. But they claimed to have fixed it at the time. I have not seen any like this between last Decemeber and the last few weeks. I wonder if the fix has been undone for some reason.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902