The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Parking Lot with a 'P'

Post by leocylau
Just a suggustion. I put a 'P' for a parking lot. It shows on livemap and client nicely. What do you think?
leocylau
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 3

POSTER_ID:524814

Send a message
Attachments
UK WikiUK Forum

'For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.' 1 Cor. 10:33b

GC•Newcastle upon Tyne AM•HK CM•Localisation Coordinator

Post by bgodette
bigbear3764 wrote:I looked in MUTCD for US, and they didn't come out and say you should use blue and white or green and white. Basically said both are acceptable. Been looking more since this thread started, and I do see more white P on blue.
MUTCD should have something on coloring of Informational Signs which is what these and Hospital and Mass Transit signs are. But as far as I can recall I've not seen anything but White on Blue around here for any of them.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Bigbear3764
Once this is approved, can Waze create a shield of the P with a circle around it colored green? In the US, that is our universal parking lot sign. When it typed as [P], that would create a green P circled. What do other countries use as their universal sign?

Ok, start the jokes about green P.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by Bigbear3764
I looked in MUTCD for US, and they didn't come out and say you should use blue and white or green and white. Basically said both are acceptable. Been looking more since this thread started, and I do see more white P on blue.
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by Daknife
On this one I'd just be happy with a standard shield and think we would have no issue using the white on blue. While the Green mentioned above is common on signage in some parts of the country it's not universal and I have seen the white on blue and other random color combo's to indicate public parking.

Personally I like the look of the White P on the blue square, it's crisp, clean and not likely to be mistaken for a road shield. And it's not that different from the White H on Blue for Hospital which is a nationwide standard and the White Bus or Train on blue that you commonly see for bus, trolley or train stops/stations.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by dknight212
Is that a cue (geddit?) for a pee joke?

David using Tapatalk
dknight212
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
Timbones wrote:
leocylau wrote:Just a suggustion. I put a 'P' for a parking lot. It shows on livemap and client nicely. What do you think?
Good idea. I like it. An alternative label could be [P] to help it stand out.

I would suggest, however, only using this for public carparks (run by the council or NCP or whatever), rather than all customer carparks at supermarkets and other businesses. This will help tourists who are looking for places to park.
Nice idea. And Tim, I was just about to write something along those lines too!
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
bigbear3764 wrote:Once this is approved, can Waze create a shield of the P with a circle around it colored green? In the US, that is our universal parking lot sign. When it typed as [P], that would create a green P circled. What do other countries use as their universal sign?

Ok, start the jokes about green P.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blue square with white 'P'

via Tapatalk
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by iahim
Perhaps they can expand the new Gas Station feature to Parking. So if you look for parking, you can see what's available near you and the cost. I'm not sure if there is an app that can do that now.
iahim
Send a message

Post by leocylau
With car park's name will benefit somehow.

I prefer the first example:
Timbones wrote:- [P] Marygate
- [P] Woodhouse Ln
or just [P] in case there is no name for the car park.

Should we put this in the wiki once there is no objection?
leocylau
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
UK WikiUK Forum

'For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.' 1 Cor. 10:33b

GC•Newcastle upon Tyne AM•HK CM•Localisation Coordinator