The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Cartouche retirement

Post by
Hi Wazers,

As many of you already know, we would really like to start working with the new editor (WME) only and we're doing our best to expedite the retirement of the old Cartouche.

The fact that some of the important features were still missing in the WME delayed this retirement and this is why the old Cartouche is still active.

The missing features in question were:
1) Ability to edit alternate street names
2) Ability to add street numbers
3) Update requests from the livemap were still going to the old Cartouche.

Item #3 was fixed already.
Items #1 and #2 will be released soon.

The plan is to disable the access to the Cartouche as soon as the WME version is released to production. We hope that this will happen in ~ a week.

Thanks for all your help and patience during this transition period!
Shirli

POSTER_ID:94099

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
chrysrobyn wrote:Isn't Cartouche the only way to see the area manager overlay layer?
Yes, but that isn't considered an essential editing function.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Shirli,

The beta editor is not, in its current state, ready for release. There are several pages of feedback and needed changes and there have been NO comments or replies from anyone at Waze. If it is released in its current state, it will be a mistake.

Please have someone reply to all the bugs and change requests in the appropriate thread.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: This is definitely an editor feature we never want to see in the new editor. Too many roads have already been needlessly split by editors who don't care what the guidelines are for having a split road. As has already been mentioned, it has been very time consuming already for many conscientious editors who are unsplitting roads which should not have been split in the first place by the well-meant, but abused feature of Cartouche. If a road should really be split and complies with the guidelines, then it is worth taking the time to do it the manual way.
I disagree quite strongly with this statement, but you knew that already.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
jasonh300 wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: This is definitely an editor feature we never want to see in the new editor. Too many roads have already been needlessly split by editors who don't care what the guidelines are for having a split road. As has already been mentioned, it has been very time consuming already for many conscientious editors who are unsplitting roads which should not have been split in the first place by the well-meant, but abused feature of Cartouche. If a road should really be split and complies with the guidelines, then it is worth taking the time to do it the manual way.
I disagree quite strongly with this statement, but you knew that already.
You quoted yourself, and are disagreeing? Where did that quote even come from? I think one of us needs some sleep...not sure which. :lol:
jondrush just edited my post instead of replying/quoting and deleted all the good stuff I had to say. Grr. (I've done this before too.)

I responded to 3 different people's comments and had the list of requirements for WME in order to retire Cartouche, etc.

I checked my browser cache and the contents of my reply are not available. Perhaps he may still have it and could restore it if so...
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
shawndoc wrote:Why spend time on the alt names? They don't show up in the client and don't affect navigation. As far as I know (and please correct me if I'm wrong) they don't current serve any purpose.
Map accuracy and local naming conventions for highways. It's a pretty standard part of any mapping system and it may be used in the future (Waze wouldn't have put it in the new editor if there were no plans for it). Where there are multiple overlapping routes and local street names, as well as highway names, it is nice to have them recorded for accuracy. Adding alt names is a labor of love or instability, we're not sure, as you get no points for this type of edit.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
shawndoc wrote:Oh I absolutely think it would be useful information to have.

In my mind, many of the other issues brought up in this thread should take higher priority from Waze's dev team, since they directly affect the experience of current users/editors, rather than porting a feature to WME that Waze hasn't yet figured out how or if they will ever use.
I do agree. I was actually surprised to see it show up in the beta, mostly because we've been told they are working on a field specific to generating the shield, and then if that alternates with the primary name, we've taken care of a good number of the situations where we'd like to have more than one "name" (shield+local name). If I could generate 2-3 shields and also have a written name or two, I'd be so happy.

I don't think any other issues brought up in this thread are necessarily more pressing, though, either. We had the list, and here it is again, for those who didn't see it before it got deleted:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
  • Alternate names
  • House numbers
  • No Name street identification/layer (gettingthere was the only one supporting this one)
  • Resolve near-border editing issues
  • LiveMap URs need to go to WME
  • Link LiveMap to WME and vice versa
  • Finalizing of permissions scheme
  • Fix reverse connectivity (done)
A lot of the veteran editors/mega mappers were in agreement that alternate names were important, though they served no immediate function.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
bgodette wrote:Link Live<>WME isn't done and is low priority IMO if you mean switching between the two.
It is done, actually. I tested it earlier. I used LiveMap to go to a new spot and the Update Map link now opens the editor to that location. This is due to them adding code to the LiveMap which adjusts the Update Map link just like the editor Permalink update.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
rleejr79 wrote:I can't understand the reasoning to kill cartouche and start the WME asap posts.
I didn't get the impression that many people were saying to kill Cartouche now and release the new WME regardless of the bugs in the beta, but more were supporting the need to get rid of Cartouche soon, so please fix the bugs and get the WME out to everyone.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Thanks for the feedback Shirli. It would be very helpful to the testers to get feedback on the bugs and changes requested so that we understand what the direction is from Waze. Sometimes we request a change that doesnt make sense given a strategic direction Waze wants to go. We can do better to support that if we understand it.

--
If it looks strange, or I used bad grammar or misspelled anything, it's my phone's fault.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Froggypwns wrote:I'd hate to see the Cartouche go, WME is missing too many features...
It actually isn't missing the features which are required to do map editing. There are some "nice-to-haves" like Move Road (love that one!) but nothing is missing from WME today which wholesale prevents a specific type of editing required for Waze to operate.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message