The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Right U Right on Mapcat Bowtie

Post by HandofMadness
Hi guys, I believe this problem is due to traffic data making Waze think a right, and U and a right is quicker than going straight through the intersection. But since I've been seeing a LOT of these lately, I thought I'd post one up to make sure I'm not overlooking something.

- Just tried to reproduce in live map, failed.
- Checked for soft turn restrictions, none.
- This isn't one of those cheap Chinese Mapcat knockoffs, but a 100% Authentic Mapcat Bowtie hand crafted by the man himself back in May

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... 7,63371016
righturight.jpg
(88.66 KiB) Downloaded 1376 times
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:6884845

Send a message

Post by CBenson
I don't see anything amiss. I have been seeing many of these as well. I'm very interested to see you are getting them at bowties as that kills my theory that this might be caused by waze not distinguishing between left turns and straight through movements.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by cdombroski
While you're at it, make sure that no one can turn left from this segment
cdombroski
Send a message

Post by HandofMadness
Timbones wrote:Can this problem be fixed (or at least moved elsewhere) by making that U-turn segment less than 15m and un-named?
Probably. I just wanted to see if there was any other explanation of why Waze wasn't routing straight through (but only some of the time), other than traffic data. I've been seeing these a lot lately, guess Waze has changed something on the routing server to make these more frequent.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by khaytsus
I'd also make that second left restricted. There's no reason someone should turn left from that connector.
khaytsus
Send a message
USA Country Manager
Central Kentucky Area Manager
AT&T LG G2 (AOKP 4.4.4)
Nexus 7 2013 (Cm 13.1)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/334 ... ze-500.gif

Post by ncc1701v
khaytsus wrote:I'd also make that second left restricted. There's no reason someone should turn left from that connector.
Digressing from the original intent ... suppose I'm coming to the bowtie from the south and I miss my turn? There are definitely reasons why someone might turn left up there.

As to the original post, has this intersection worked correctly before? If so then the problem might not be fixable in the map. Could the routing algorithms have changed?
ncc1701v
Send a message
... and the "v" is for Volvo.

Post by Timbones
Can this problem be fixed (or at least moved elsewhere) by making that U-turn segment less than 15m and un-named?
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries

Post by WeeeZer14
ncc1701v wrote:Digressing from the original intent ... suppose I'm coming to the bowtie from the south and I miss my turn? There are definitely reasons why someone might turn left up there.
Catching up on the forums so I'm late to the party, but I'd say that situation (missing a turn) should NOT be directly handled by Waze. If a driver missed a turn, it is up to them to find a place to turn around -- or just follow a new route. What if the road at the bowtie was blocked off for construction or an accident? Sending the driver back to it won't help. Heck, they could be set into an infinite loop passing through that bow tie over and over again as the driver ignores the turn and Waze just tells them to u-turn and try again.
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator