Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Landmark - Best Practices US

Post by
Is there a plan to produce a best practices guide for landmark editing for the US servers? Last time I checked the wiki it was blank.

The reason I ask is because I see more and more large blocks of area marked off as parking lots by various editors. They will include entire buildings, parks and more as a parking lot. Similarly, I am starting to see equally large area's being tagged as gas stations where no gas station even exists.

Some of these are created by admin(6) which I assume is an automated bot, but most are not.

I am also curious what effect landmarks have on waze when attempting to route to a gas station via your current route? Does it use landmarks for this purpose, or does it perform some other method of identifying these landmarks? If the latter, what purpose does identifying landmarks on waze have on the actually routing system?

Thanks

POSTER_ID:3081882

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
skbun wrote:Actually from what I understand, there is, because in the beta version of the WME, editors CAN 'add information about gas stations beyond the fact that it exists', and at some point this will be made production as well.

Best practice at this point: if it's a gas station, create a landmark for it with its brand name, and more magic will happen later.
Not in the US, though.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
PhantomSoul wrote:What's the relationship between landmarks and POI's?
In Waze? There is no relationship because there is no POI database. It's only landmarks, which are, often, being "abused" to input POIs. And "abused" only in the sense that we simply do not have another option.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
vectorspace wrote:That's interesting. I thought landmarks would be accessible in a POI search. I read or heard somewhere from Waze that they would like to expand their internal database of search information too.
Some landmarks are searchable and "function" as a POI, but a POI is just that, a "point" and not a space. Waze doesn't have an actual POI database, but something that sort of functions like one.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by alarlo
If I understand right, other than the those actual parking lots (The that's a public or paid) all other can be deleted?
Like the one next to malls, businesses or schools etc.

Is it OK delete them?

Thanks.
alarlo
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by alarlo
Thank you
alarlo
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
CBenson wrote:My understanding is that when routing to a gas station from the gas station category list in the US the current landmark layer is not used. In other words the imported gas station data is currently separate from the landmark layer. It also my understanding that the gas station data will be made available in WME for ongoing maintenance by the editors, but that this has not happened yet. Until we see how this is done, it seems to me that it is premature to develop best practices guidelines.
See: http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23354
Adding a new landmark of Gas station type will NOT add the station to the list. It will add it to the map, and if you enter a name, you will be able to search and navigate to it - just like any other landmark - but won't be able to update prices.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
skbun wrote:Actually from what I understand, there is, because in the beta version of the WME, editors CAN 'add information about gas stations beyond the fact that it exists', and at some point this will be made production as well.

Best practice at this point: if it's a gas station, create a landmark for it with its brand name, and more magic will happen later.
Not in the US, though.

What I quoted above was from the US guidelines in the post I linked to... It seems that the landmark will allow Waze to search for the Name of the station & navigate to it, but not enable gas prices. The gas prices come from a different database...

I've been adding gas station landmarks in the US because of the gas price function that is on the way & the simple fact they suppress traffic jams & problem reports of people looping through the station...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
General rule in the US - don't create landmarks for individual businesses.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
There is CURRENTLY no connection between Gas Station Landmarks and the gas Price system.

The locations (& non-user submitted prices) are provided by a third party - there is currently no way to add/edit/delete gas stations in the US. Waze has told us to landmark gas stations as they plan on bringing the US Gas Price system in line with the ROTW system at some point.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
skbun wrote:Sooo.... '[USA] Landmark Guidelines - Request for Comments' is now a locked thread with no further action mentioned, and I see no further discussion of this anywhere else in the US forums. Is the CT landmark standard now the national standard, or...?
The comments in the locked thread are still being reviewed... Final decisions will be made soon...

I apologize for the delay, but the real world (and my real job) has kinda stacked up on me...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager