Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Feed The Waze - United States Version

Post by
Are there any plans to allow reporting in the US for Feed The Waze? If so, do we know when we can expect it? This is something that would benefit the Waze community here in the States tremendously! 911 centers & police can report accidents as they come in, News media outlets can add traffic reports to the map as they receive them. All I've been told so far is that it is not possible, if it is not planned anytime soon, any reason why it is not? Why Int'l but not the States?
Use Feed The Waze
http://feedthe.waze.hu/ - (Int'l Only)
The Waze client only allows you to report things such as Police, Accident, Hazard, Camera, etc., based on your current GPS location only.

POSTER_ID:4659062

Send a message
Last edited by MGODLEW on Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by APettyJ
This seems/seemed like a good idea. I realize it may have fell on the back burner, with speed limits being added and a number of countries being spruced up via map raids, so here I am to bump the thread and the idea!
APettyJ
Send a message
WME L3: Junior Editor
App Beta Tester Waze v 4.22.1.901
Sprint
Samsung Galaxy Note 5
Android 7.0
Philadelphia, PA, USA

Post by aplycon
I also work in a 911 center and would be able to report such closures and accidents remotely. I think this would be a very beneficial feature added to the US server.
aplycon
Send a message
-AP

Paramedic|Denver, CO
Nexus 6P, Android 6.0.1, Waze 3.9.8.0[/size]

Post by CBenson
I'll just put my two cents in. There are plenty of reports on the map where I am. Just adding more of them from external sources seems unlikely to help me. I actually find that the reports on waze to be more accurate than reports for the authorities. There are plenty of times the DC police twitter feed just gives the wrong location. Seems there is just less places for errors to be introduced when the report is directly from reporter to me and the location of the reporter is automatically recorded.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by doctorkb
I've sent a PM to the maintainers to ask if it could be used on the US / Canada server. I suspect that if it's on for one, it would be trivial for it to be on for the other, so as long as the US Champs are on-board with it, that should be easy.

I'll report back when I hear anything.
doctorkb
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
CBenson wrote:I'll just put my two cents in. There are plenty of reports on the map where I am. Just adding more of them from external sources seems unlikely to help me. I actually find that the reports on waze to be more accurate than reports for the authorities. There are plenty of times the DC police twitter feed just gives the wrong location. Seems there is just less places for errors to be introduced when the report is directly from reporter to me and the location of the reporter is automatically recorded.
I'd like to think that while it may slightly increase quantity, it will drastically improve quality of reports. I know that *I* don't report all I see along my route, as it's just not possible to do while keeping complete control of the vehicle. I do remember the potholes that nearly eat my car, though, and would enter the report when I got to my desk.

Same thing with map errors. I can be more descriptive at a computer, so it would improve the quality of any report I might give.
doctorkb
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by Fedelosa
I requested an area on the site few weeks ago, but no response :(
Fedelosa
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by goldmanns
Any idea how Feed The Waze got the data over to Waze servers? I could find no official API that would allow that.
goldmanns
Send a message

Post by hikerguy
...I know that *I* don't report all I see along my route, as it's just not possible to do while keeping complete control of the vehicle. I do remember the potholes that nearly eat my car, though, and would enter the report when I got to my desk.

Same thing with map errors. I can be more descriptive at a computer, so it would improve the quality of any report I might give.
I'm in 100% agreement with doctorkb. I had an instance last night where there was a big piece of carpet in the road, but of coursse, I couldnt report it right then and there because I was in motion (and nowhere convenient to pull over). Had there been a way to report this when I got home, I definitely would have done it. We really need this feature in the States.
hikerguy
Send a message

Post by Hipska
Has anybody contact with the developers? I really would like to know how they get the data into Waze client, so I could make a new version. Which API they use, ... And why don't they OpenSource it? So we can all help and add features.
Hipska
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by karlcr9911
Yes, I would love this feature. I work for a public safety agency that covers 16,000 square miles in Texas and could easily and quickly report traffic collisions as they occur.
karlcr9911
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Answers: 3
Send a message