Forum rules
Welcome to the Belgium Community forum!

Ask us any question here. Or if you want to chat with us, join the Waze BeLux Slack:

https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeopedia-files/b/be/Slack-invitation-banner.png
(click the image to join the Slack)

Under Tunnels

Post by Lionsauvaga
Hello,
I was wandering if in a near future Waze will adapt it's localisation mode for underground navigations (tunnels).
In Brussels we have actually some tunnels and when we get under the GPS signal is lost (that's normal) but it would be great to have a kind of tampon memory that can adapt the car location under the tunnels to show the right way always (as the motion car movement). Because most of time it tries to keep us over the tunnels and it isn't the easiest way. And it would also be great for the others to update the actual situation under tunnels too :)
You are doing a great job and if I can help to improve by adding some idea, I will.
Thanks to you!
Lionsauvaga

POSTER_ID:6617772

Send a message

Post by maantje76
Nobody can give you a correct answer on your question I think. For tunnels there are à few tricks so they work a little better. I don't think someone did that in Brussels...
maantje76
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by yoho
It was one of the things I wanted to take up to the waze meeting. If I manage to join, I'll talk about this.

My ideas :
* Have waze automatically detect tunnels or areas were there is no GPS coverage : most of the time this is feasible because you still have data connection and all wazers should loose GPS in the same area (so detection is relatively reliable after you have this lack of coverage for 3 or more wazers)
* Have waze notify you you're entering such an area a few hundred meters before it starts (warning you that waze won't be able to follow you)
* Notification should also include instructions to follow the route when there is no GPS coverage (for instance : "In 300m, a non-covered GPS area begins. In 800m, in the non-covered GPS area, turn left and in 1km, in the non-covered GPS area, exit right.", of course this is a proposal which can be adapted). It can lead to quite long instructions, but is better than nothing (which is the case currently).
* It is possible to detect if the lack of coverage corresponds to a tunnel based on the height of the road in the map.

Also :
* Very short and easy workaround in the meantime : make a warning sound when there is no GPS reception. It is not the case currently, so that when you have turns in a non-covered area and you don't have your smartphone in front of you, you don't get any notification and you tend to always go straight...
yoho
Send a message