Forum rules
Welcome to the Belgium Community forum!

Ask us any question here. Or if you want to chat with us, join the Waze BeLux Slack:

https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeopedia-files/b/be/Slack-invitation-banner.png
(click the image to join the Slack)

"Local traffic only" streets

Post by
How should we handle streets in the editor that have a "local traffic only" restriction? If it's not a dead-end street, waze can route through there. Of course you can drive on and it will plot another route, but still...
Making it a private road will give it a penalty so the routing will probably avoid it, but that is not really correct. Or make a short "private road" segment on both sides of the street?
Is there a policy how to handle this? I couldn't find anything on the wiki or the forum.

Here an example of where a user request complains about it (i think):
https://world.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&l ... s=88631775

POSTER_ID:2736722

Send a message

Post by babraknemozny
Perhaps there could be a setting in the application that can allow the user to set the level he wants to obey traffic rules. I find very useful that Waze runs on Symbian also and tried it yesterday for the first time. I was very surprised to be routed into Konijnenhoekstraat in Haasrode, while the entire area between Expresweg, Blandenstraat and Haasrodsestraat is limited to "Plaatselijk verkeer".

The routing should by default follow valid rules and avoid turn suggestions into streets where entry is forbidden and users risks a fine.
babraknemozny
Send a message

Post by babraknemozny
petervdveen wrote:Which city is it?
Haasrode
Probably there is a map error.
I have marked some streets here around as private in the map editor and also fixed some turn options. Probably it needs to be approved as I am a new user.
babraknemozny
Send a message

Post by elixdreamer
How are the settings for a road that is "Pedestrian zone". You can drive for example from 18h till 11h in these roads. And they are just for deliverys.

Any sugestions? they are common in the most cities.

http://www.mobielvlaanderen.be/figs/con ... 1_bord.jpg
http://www.ukmotorists.com/signs/9a.jpg
elixdreamer
Send a message

Post by fvwazing
Private road will help. Read "Private" like "restricted access", not like "owned by someone". If there is not just one street but a neighborhood that is restricted - think a gated community, campus or military base it is a good idea to map only the entry points ("gates") as private (but all of them!) or, if the layout is more simple, set all streets involved completely to "private road".
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
As the primary target for Waze is commuting traffic - home to work and back - it is a safe bet to ignore the 1% of traffic that makes deliveries in these areas. However.... if the citycentre is defined as " Pedestrian Boardwalk" and connected to the rest of the streets Waze will TRY to direct traffic over these streets as well, but only if there is no other option. But bear in mind that there is always the possibility that "regular traffic" can be sent into these areas as well... also, the routing over pedestrian boardwalks SEEMS to be very different from routing over regular streets. It can be observed that the routing in these areas does not try to find the "fastest" route but a route that uses a minimum of closed streets - which is not necessarily the same.

For better results Waze should offer more options to configure roads, like "closed for trucks", "closed from .... till ...", "open for taxis and buses only". Also the Waze client should be able then to define the nature of the drive - like "I am driving a taxi" or "I am a truck doing deliveries". These are often asked for but there is no word on if or when these will be implemented. Again, 99% of Wazers do NOT need these and it is very much unsure if Waze will put in the effort.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
Definitely not. Your hack will sent muddy suvs right THRU the pedestrian zone. Private road will let them IN or OUT but not THRU.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
And that is exactly why you should not use the same type for both. The suvdriver that enables dirtroads will drive into town and get directed where he does not belong. The deliverytruck that drives into a pedestrianzone and has to enable dirtroads for that will find himself stuck in the mud when Waze sends him over a dirtroad on his way to the next town.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
Lol, I must have been confused on some point as well. Thought you proposed dirtroad for citycentres.

So... Using dirtroads for dirtroads is... ok of course. Private road can be used for roads you cannot even maneuver with a suv - too narrow, steep, dirty or simply forbidden.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
yoho wrote:As a waze user I love the fact Waze can route you through restricted roads (like the examples you mention). Many GPS will avoid these roads so it's an advantage for Waze. It's not because you're using waze that you're blind : you are still paying attention to signs and if you don't want to take a road, just don't take it ! Waze will recalculate your itinerary in a few seconds.
Getting routed through a pedestrian zone does not come cheap here. Also, when exactly do you notice that you should not have left the cityring? And then you ask for a recalc and get a route proposed through the next pedestrian road, in 200m. And again. Routes through restricted roads are never what you want, in my opinion. Just like illegal u-turns.

babraknemozny wrote:Perhaps there could be a setting in the application that can allow the user to set the level he wants to obey traffic rules. I find very useful that Waze runs on Symbian also and tried it yesterday for the first time. I was very surprised to be routed into Konijnenhoekstraat in Haasrode, while the entire area between Expresweg, Blandenstraat and Haasrodsestraat is limited to "Plaatselijk verkeer".
The routing should by default follow valid rules and avoid turn suggestions into streets where entry is forbidden and users risks a fine.
Lol, a setting where you can enter the maximum fine you are willing to pay today? Well, if you are not "plaatselijk verkeer" (local traffic) you CAN get fined. It is all a matter of statistics, but police in a village near me does extensive controls a number of times per year. The village is close to a trafficjam-hotspot and can get jammed if traffic is diverted, but this traffic is not allowed to cut thru the center. Setting up the four or five entryroads around the center as private did the trick. No fine needed.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by maantje76
milkyway35 wrote:For ultra-local traffic, in France, we choose "service Roads" which are, by definition, build to desserve ultra-local destinations.
But If your agricultral Road is not paved, use "dirt Road".
It's just the name 'service road' that differs. For routing, service road doesn't do anything different then a normal street...but you know that ;)

For Netherlands and Belgium the behavior of a private road fits the best to avoid unwanted routing. Only if the private road is your destination you will be routed on it (on a penalty base, so if there's no other possibilty it will be ignored).

City centers (pediatrian boardwalk), where delivery traffic is allowed, can also marked as a private road. If your destination is in this area, you will be routed there, otherwise you will be routed around it...in other navigation solutions you get a message like 'your deatination is in an area where traffic isn't allowed'. With Waze it's possible in this way ;-)
maantje76
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message