Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Road category policy for India

Post by
As seen, the base map appears to have most roads categorized only as 'Street' or 'Freeway' except for a very few shown as 'Primary Street' which may be a result of editing. Where several levels of definition are available, this limits the information available to a Wazer new to that part of India.

I propose the following policy, knowing full well that it will take several months to make significant changes and may never be 100% complete.

Freeways: Expressways such as Mumbai-Pune and Vadodara-Ahmedabad (please post here regarding other expressways in your part of India) and also GQ (Golden Quadrilateral) and NSEW (North-South East-West) trunk routes. Possibly include Mumbai's Western and Eastern express highways, Kolkata's Eastern Metropolitan Bypass and some of the Ring Roads in different cities.

Major Highways: All other National Highways, arterial roads within cities and the best of the State Highways.

Minor Highway: Remaining State Highways, other well maintained and well traveled inter-city routes and city bypasses.

Primary Street: Major through routes from one part of a city to another, also well maintained and traveled rural roads.

Street: All other roads except private and service roads.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Line Road vs two one-way roads
Waze has provided a guideline that only roads separated by a generous median should be shown as two one-way roads. In the base map for India, however, city streets and highways with a minuscule divider are shown as two one-way roads instead of as a single road with a line. This has resulted in one side or the other reverting to a two way road wherever not locked, due to GPS being insufficiently accurate to determine on which side of the road a Wazer happened to drive.

I propose that all city roads less and highways than 3+3 lanes be identified as 'line road' instead of two separate one-way roads. Where a 2+2 lane road has a flyover with parallel roads, it can be split in three parts showing a two-way flyover with line and two one-way roads alongside. This will actually improve the navigational capabilities and help those Wazing the road for the first time.

Road geometry at junctions
In the base map, a large number of road junctions show short curved roads at the four corners. A few of these are actually free left turns, but the majority are just a widening at the crossing. The indirect result of such mapping is that sometimes Waze instructs to 'Bear Left' instead of 'Turn Left' which can be confusing. I propose that, with due reference to satellite imagery and/or ground reality, these curved roads can be removed to clean up the map and the navigation.

Thank you for reading these suggestions, and do please post your opinions along with other possible map improvements that may come to mind.

POSTER_ID:1125075

Send a message

Post by cherianchris
SV Road cannot be a Freeway in any situation. In fact, the only freeway of international standards in India ATM would be the Delhi - Agra Expressway.

Waze does prefer to route through primary roads, depending on the total distance of your route. There is a Forum thread explaining it. I'll get you a link to it Paritosh.

MB526 - > Tapatalk 2
cherianchris
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
“It is not power that corrupts, but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it, and fear of the scourge of power, corrupts those who are subject to it.”
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/1/13/Monster.png

cherianchris
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
“It is not power that corrupts, but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it, and fear of the scourge of power, corrupts those who are subject to it.”

Post by cherianchris
Please go ahead and mark it as a Minor Highway. A similar procedure is being followed in Chennai, where arterial roads are updated as Minor Highways. And the roads, which link them to each other, are marked as Primary Streets.
Please ensure that you turn on the GPS Points before changing the road type. It will give you a very good idea of the amount of traffic using the road.
In India, All National Highways are Major Highways, and State Highways are Minor Highways again.
As you are in Maharashtra, while naming State Highways please use this format. MH-SH-**.
You might want to take a look at Chennai (The mapping is far from complete) to get a better idea. Use the GPS Points layer and compare the traffic density and the type of roads, which have been updated.

MB526 - > Tapatalk 2
cherianchris
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by cherianchris
lunarplexus wrote:Since service roads are almost never accessed, should one keep them around or get rid of them?
Service Road

Also often known as a frontage road.

A smaller street found running alongside a limited access highway or other primary street.
Service roads allow local traffic to enter and exit driveways, parking lots, and intersecting streets without congesting thoroughfare traffic.
(NOTE: Service Roads should NOT be confused with what is often called a "service alley". Service Roads will not prevent routing.)

We need to maintain Service Roads, as they are a means to enter/exit major/minor Highways.
lunarplexus wrote:And also, if I may digress just a bit, I'm having a little trouble figuring out how to authorise U-turns on single two-way roads. All turns seem to be authorised at the junction but when I need to take a u-turn, Waze tells me to take a right and then another right and then right again.

For example, the junction in question is in this permalink: https://world.waze.com/editor/?zoom=8&l ... =171690759
Is Waze asking you to take three right turns ?

Chris
cherianchris
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by cherianchris
lunarplexus wrote:Exactly. Instead of a u-turn, it asks me to take three right turns until I get back to the original road going the right direction. Of course, it wasn't a problem when this was a double line road.
Split the segments and make them two directional again. Do not combine roads or split them without thinking twice. Segments have tons of data stored in them, and when you delete a segment, routing becomes wonky.

Chris
cherianchris
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by cherianchris
lunarplexus wrote:Oh man, I've had that so horrible wrong. Thanks for clearing that up. So, service alleys - can they be deleted?
Why would you want to delete Service Alleys ? Try to determine the POI in which these are situated, and map them if they satisfy the guidelines.
cherianchris
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by cherianchris
lunarplexus wrote:I was considering deleting them if they have no access since they would not be consequential to routing.
They are purely for local traffic to enter and exit. For now, if the segment does not have any speed data, delete it. We can come back at a point in time when Delhi is sufficiently mapped, and draw them wherever needed.
lunarplexus wrote:As for double-line roads, I only change them if they are relatively short and have a lot of unrestricted junctions as per best practice guidelines. Maybe I should narrow my parameters a lot more? I do consider it a lot before changing them but I guess I just got to think a lot more eh :)

India will have its own Wiki, in some weeks time. It will specify the detailing required. For now, avoid changing segment composition unless absolutely required.

Chris
cherianchris
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by cherianchris
lunarplexus wrote:When would it be absolutely required, do you think?
In the case mentioned earlier by you, where Waze was asking you to take three Right Turns.
cherianchris
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

cherianchris
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by cshubhra
I personally find that having roads with dividers as two one way roads is better. It automatically restricts U turns, except at allowed places. The problem mentioned above, I have seen as well, did not know that it was because of inaccurate GPS points!!! I will keep the two one way roads locked, to avoid turning them to two-way roads!
Another problem in Kolkata ... most people don't respect one way roads, and often drive in the other direction!!!

I am trying to connect to other users in Kolkata, so that we can come up with better maps together, but unfortunately they are very few, and very non-regular.

Regarding the road classification, I agree and had started doing that since last 1-2 days, before seeing your post.

Shubhrajit
Area Manager: Kolkata
cshubhra
Send a message
Area Manager: Kolkata, India
Twitter Handle: @cshubhra