Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Odd routing decissions

Post by jstrangfeld
So can someone educate me what to do about the report filed at the center of this
(hopefully its still there):
https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-96.78 ... TTTFTTTTFT
...essentially the person was traveling South on Ohio Dr.
Waze wanted him to turn west on W Park Blvd go about a mile do a u turn come back to Ohio Dr. and turn south.
I checked turn restrictions, level, road type and did not find anything that would cause this to happen.

Many thanks in advance.
jstrangfeld

POSTER_ID:16791549

Send a message

Post by CBenson
I don't see the UR. I wish I did.
Waze sometime will route right/U/right. Frequently this is where there is a long red light, so there is some argument that on average (especially with little data on the U-turn) waze may calculate that the right/U/right is faster. I'm increasingly skeptical that some of these routes can ever actually be faster. Your example of going a mile to do the U, would be a prime example to provide to the developers. But, it seems to be gone.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
So is the U-turn at the service road right before you get to Preston?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I believe this is waze's penchant for routing right/U at long lights as discussed here: http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=44220 . It typically only happens sporadically at an intersection. Presumably when waze detects that those going straight/left are taking a long time to get through the light, but does not detect that the right turns are slow.

The reason that waze does not make the U until the service road is that waze does not route through U-turns where the cross-street is 15 meters or shorter. In your example the service road is 16m between W Park, while all the other cross-streets between Ohio and the service road are 15m or less.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
The is no way to consistently deal with this issue. In essence its a routing algorithm problem rather than a mapping problem.

If the U-turn is not required for other routes it can be restricted as you propose here. But frequently the U is completely legitimate and may be required for other routes.

When this happens to me, I take the right/U that waze recommends. After taking it a few times waze stops giving me the right/U. I presume because it learns that the U is actually slower than waze was assuming.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jstrangfeld
I captured a screenshot of the instructions but the smallest I have been able to shrink it down to was about 700k which is still to large to post as an attachment here.
Also looking at the scale in my screenshot its about 500 meters it was tracking to the west before doing the u-turn. Sorry for overstating the distance, but in either case I would guess one would really have to time that right and hit traffic just right (not having to wait for traffic at the u-turn and having no traffic to turn right on red twice) in order to make that faster....
jstrangfeld
Send a message

Post by jstrangfeld
CBenson wrote:So is the U-turn at the service road right before you get to Preston?
Indeed it is, the way you are asking I assume you might be on to something?
jstrangfeld
Send a message

Post by jstrangfeld
So is there an "endorsed" way how to deal with this? (read through the topic you referenced but did not find a solution)
For the time being I dragged W Park Blvd a little south thus making the service road now 14m instead of 16m.
jstrangfeld
Send a message