Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Welcome

Post by CBenson
I've had a bunch of recent PM discussions with Maryland editors where the need for a Maryland forum was raised, so I requested that this one be created. It seems to me that discussions regarding highway naming, city naming, etc. should be public so we have a chance to work together in a consistent manner. We seem to have a lot of wazers here and a good number of editors. If anyone needs any help with any Maryland issues, please raise them here and I'll be happy to help.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:1005502

Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
I don't really know of consensus. Some of the problem stems from the fact that you have a city like Baltimore, next door to a county like Anne Arundel, which has only two incorporated towns, next door to a county like Prince Georges that has 27 incorporated towns. I personally don't think ZIP codes are the best way to go. I'm also in Anne Arundel, so I don't have much problems with using CDPs and don't have much problem with including white space as well. The census places are shown here.
I am bit a leery of making any solid decision on what we should do long term until we know how searching using the house numbers we enter is going to work.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
nzahn1 wrote:What we need to avoid is areas like Severna Park where "Cities" have been designated for each suburban community.
Some of that is my early editing. Currently in Anne Arundel county, I've kind of been sticking with the census map, for areas outside of Annapolis and Highland Beach. However, that leaves the airport homeless. People really seem to like to add Harmans, Hanover or Glen Burnie around BWI rather than leave it blank. Which makes sense to me.

It will be interesting to see how the house number searching is ultimately implemented.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
nzahn1 wrote:I agree that the census map is a great base for suburban areas. I was referring to communities like Chartwell, Chartridge, West SP, Carrollton Manor, etc...
Understood, feel free to change cities like those to Severna Park (or whatever else may be more appropriate). Certainly, Carrollton Manor was my early work, not sure about Chartwell or Chartridge (however I just changed some of those to Severna Park when looking for my fingerprints in the area).
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I have also been going by the CDP boundaries. Mainly because marking everything that has an Annapolis ZIP code as Annapolis is very deceiving.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Sounds fine to me. But do we need boundaries for Gibson Island, Hanover, and Millersville?
Is Gibson Island just everything beyond the gate?
Is Hanover all the white area on the census map between Elkridge and Severn that is not BWI?
Is Millersville bounded by Odenton, Gambrills, Severna Park, and Arden on the Severn on the census map and then essentially Sunrise Beach Rd, Generals Hwy, Waterbury Rd, Severn Chapel Rd and St. Stephen Church Rd?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I'm not sure at this point how often the city layer updates, but as you've seen its seems fairly regular at this point. I'm also not sure that the deleted names ever completely disappear without intervention from waze staff. If we get a list of names that need to disappear together, I believe we (or at least Jon) can get them taken care off.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
trooster10 wrote:There are large ones such as Green Haven and South Gate that will take more time and effort to fix, but at least the smaller ones are now correct.
I've been wondering where Green Haven and South Gate came from. I've seen plenty of URs complaining about the Green Haven/Pasadena distinction, but I don't really know what Green Haven is. I've just realized that Green Haven and South Gate are CDPs on the 2000 census map that was the basis for the base map. These CDPs however were not included on the 2010 census map.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Well for Anne Arundel County it looks to me like:
Selby-on-the-Bay should be changed to Mayo,
Hillsmere Shores should be changed to Annapolis Neck, and
Green Haven should be changed to Pasadena.

South Gate should go, but I'm not sure that it isn't split between Glen Burnie and Severna Park.

Pumphrey should go, but it seems to be split between Linthicum and Brooklyn Park.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
That was just from glancing at the maps. Lets look at these a bit more closely before considering this a formal request.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message