Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Jughandles

Post by
So the topic of jughandles bugs me every time I edit one or near one. I've been on the road almost constantly the past 2 months so I haven't edited one recently, but a conversation with orbitc got me thinking again.

Of course road types in general are up in the air right now as we wait on Waze to refine the routing engine, but I still think we can at least start to think about this topic.

So what is the best road type to use for a jughandle? I'm starting this conversation in the NJ forum since NJ must have the most jughandles per capita in the country ;)

There are 3 main options I think:
  • same as the road it is serving
  • Ramp
  • Street
But each as pros and cons:
  • same as the road it is serving
    • Follows wiki guidelines for at-grade connectors
    • no routing penalty for street type changes
    • does a short curved loop of asphalt with slow transit times that is mainly used by local traffic really deserve to be the same type as the main road?
    • May look sloppy or confusing on the map
  • Ramp
    • Against current wiki guidelines for at-grade connectors
    • allows "hiding" of long names which may be on signs for the jughandle
    • does a short curved loop of asphalt with slow transit times that is mainly used by local traffic really deserve to be a HIGHER type than the main road?
    • May "look" better since it is visually different from the main road
  • Street
    • Against current wiki guidelines for At-grade connectors
    • May hinder use of a jughandle in the middle of a long distance route (I am not sure of a specific example, but I wouldn't doubt one exists)
    • May "look" better since it is visually different from the main road
I've definitely SEEN all three approaches in use. And I bet I have personally USED all three approaches at different times.

Does anyone have any other approaches? Any personal experience of how an approach works or doesn't work in real life? Any pros or cons I neglected to list?

POSTER_ID:283192

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Since these are, for the vast majority, an at-grade connector, I think we should follow the same guidelines and just use the parent type. Like at-grade connectors and other guidelines, I do not think we should have per-state guidance on this. I'd hate to have another fractured set of rules.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Street type is valid if the parent is a street. That's what the current at-grade connector guidance says, too. Jug handles can exist on non-highway roads.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
kentsmith9 wrote:This may be wrong, but the Wiki claims otherwise here.
Unless something has changed recently, this is wrong. It's been discussed at length in the past and I even had a thread where folks were testing for me.

TTS says "exit" whenever the parent segment is mH, MH or Fwy and the angle of departure is as stated. The road type of the departing segment has no bearing on TTS.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CBenson wrote:I must not be understanding what you are saying, because that's not how waze has ever worked for me.
mH, MH or Fwy splits don't say "exit" for when the angle of deflections is less than 45 degrees, they "stay to left/right at . . ." on my phone. However, if departing a mH, MH or Fwy segment with a deflection of less than 45 degrees to a PS, S or R, I do get an "exit right" instruction.
I wasn't totally clear in my description. The parent type must be greater than the child.

I had to go back to the thread I started in Dec 2011 to find your response which still matches with what you just wrote: http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 41#p122841

So:
- Fwy to MH, mH, ramp, St, PLot, etc.
- MH to mH, ramp, St, PLot, etc.
- mH to ramp, St, PLot, etc.

Will all say "exit" rather than "keep right." But if it is a split, you are correct and you do get a "keep right/left."
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CBenson wrote:Maybe this discussion needs its own thread, but I'm currently looking for examples of Fwy to MH, Fwy to mH, and MH to mH. I had thought these said "keep right" rather than "exit."
It wouldn't surprise me a lot. A little, but not a lot.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
PhantomSoul wrote:As far as jughandles are concerned, this latest development would, to me, support keeping the ramp type, since an "exit" TTS instruction is undoubtedly more appropriate when approaching one regardless of what type of road it connects to or from.
But ramp has nothing to do with it saying exit.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Yeah, we covered that a few posts up.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CBenson wrote:Alan amended his theory to say any lower road type will cause an "exit" instruction but that is not correct in my experience either. A minor highway off of a major highway at a lesser angle gives me a "keep right" instruction.

The bottom line is that using ramp type has everything to do with getting an exit instruction. If you use a major highway or minor highway type for the jughandle, I do not get an exit instruction (if the main road is a freeway or highway). If you use a ramp for the jughandle, I do get an exit instruction.
It looks like "lower type" must be limited to non-Freeway and non-Highway. Streets, ramps, primary street off of a highway/freeway will give an "exit" but other freeway or highway do not?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
PhantomSoul wrote:If the cross street is a primary street, then the standard at-grade connector rule says to use primary street for the connector, regardless of the main road type. Would that primary street fork approaching the connector say "exit right" or "keep right"?
As noted above, the "exit" rule only applies to highways and freeways.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:TTS says "exit" whenever the parent segment is mH, MH or Fwy and the angle of departure is as stated. The road type of the departing segment has no bearing on TTS.
I must not be understanding what you are saying, because that's not how waze has ever worked for me.
mH, MH or Fwy splits don't say "exit" for when the angle of deflections is less than 45 degrees, they "stay to left/right at . . ." on my phone. However, if departing a mH, MH or Fwy segment with a deflection of less than 45 degrees to a PS, S or R, I do get an "exit right" instruction.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902