Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

[New Page] State Manager (SM)

Post by Fredo-p
As posted by Orbitc in this thread: Subject: New Community Role: State Manager (SM)

[Update]
The new page is live. State Manager

As the exact details are being worked out, I have gone ahead and placed what I could into potential sections. Once the official definition and responsibilities have been ironed out, this page should be finished very quickly.

EDIT Aug 2, 2014: A poll was created to get input on a new state manager forum badge. Be sure to go to that page to vote.
Fredo-p

POSTER_ID:16781248

Send a message
Last edited by Fredo-p on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

Arizona Wiki | @Waze_Arizona Twitter
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S8+

Post by banished
The draft wiki page https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/State_Manager presently says an SM can be nominated by a Champ. The Regional Coordinator (RC) -- with whom the SM will have to work -- must be solely responsible for the final decision, taking into consideration the input of other RCs, CMs, and Champs.

To that end, I'm thinking along the lines of a more business-like "hiring" process [in the Southeast] and selecting from among interested (those that take the time to apply) and qualified applicants.

Once hired, the RC that hired them is responsible for them. They will be the group the RC primarily mentors. The RC has a more vested interest in the success of those they hire, rather than someone foisted upon them, because each SM's performance then reflects upon the RC. If it turns out the RC hired the wrong person, then it's on the RC to figure out how to handle it. (I'm uncertain exactly what that means, just yet.)

With this new SM position, now seems the time to implement a more structured approach. In this situation, where the SMs are responsible for working with the RC, hiring by the RC with community input is a better approach. It may be a small matter of semantics.

In my professional life, I've had success hiring the right people, and usually involve colleagues, immediate senior management and subordinates to rank-order resumes' as a means to mitigate any personal biases, though in the end the decision was mine.
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
GC, ARC, Veteran, CISSP, MCP

Post by CBenson
We must document the various ranks, their prerequisites, their perquisites and their duties somewhere better than we do now. I simply do not understand the system and it seems that I am supposed to be managing the system through the role of SM in my region.

What is the role of CM now and are there any duties that go along with it?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
The chart could visually represent the prerequisites for each community role, assuming that some roles are prerequisites for others. But we also need to set forth the duties and perquisites for each role. We also need to set forth the same for editing ranks. And set forth any relationship that exists between editing rank and the community roles.

I suppose we also need to decide if we give any lip serves to the expert roles at this point. I tend to consider them them dead. But we don't really have any localization issues in the US and the localization role appears to me to be only one that was included in the expert framework that has survived.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by crazycaveman
It seems that more countries are getting SMs (Brazil, Italy, possibly France). Should the US specific SM list be moved to a separate page in order to make this a general catch-all page for any country that has SMs? I am thinking it might be better to have a general overview of what the SM role encompasses for all countries and then have links at the bottom for things specific to each country, such as who to contact (RC/Champ), who the current SMs are, etc.
crazycaveman
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
nhanway wrote: Do editors who are interested in becoming a SM have to already have editing rights to the whole state? Or will they be granted Editing rights when they become a SM?
If the later is true. Will SM show up in the Area Managers Layer?
No. If they are approved, they will be "upgraded" to access to the entire state.
nhanway wrote:Will there be some sort of formal Application or do editors seeking to become SM have to ask a champ to endorse them/ ask the RC?
As far as I know, it's by recommendation right now. If an editor feels qualified, they request it via their local champ or RC. But I think it might become/move towards an editor being nominated and asked if they would like the title by a local champ.

Either way, one or more champs will have to nominate a local editor. They will have to convince the RC that the mentioned editor is qualified via examples and personal experiences.

If you feel as though your ready to become an SM, then send Alan a PM and request to be on the SM list. I'm sure he will gladly select you as an SM once the program is given the green light.
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
banished wrote:The draft wiki page https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/State_Manager presently says an SM can be nominated by a Champ. The Regional Coordinator (RC) -- with whom the SM will have to work -- must be solely responsible for the final decision, taking into consideration the input of other RCs, CMs, and Champs.

To that end, I'm thinking along the lines of a more business-like "hiring" process [in the Southeast] and selecting from among interested (those that take the time to apply) and qualified applicants.

Once hired, the RC that hired them is responsible for them. They will be the group the RC primarily mentors. The RC has a more vested interest in the success of those they hire, rather than someone foisted upon them, because each SM's performance then reflects upon the RC. If it turns out the RC hired the wrong person, then it's on the RC to figure out how to handle it. (I'm uncertain exactly what that means, just yet.)

With this new SM position, now seems the time to implement a more structured approach. In this situation, where the SMs are responsible for working with the RC, hiring by the RC with community input is a better approach. It may be a small matter of semantics.

In my professional life, I've had success hiring the right people, and usually involve colleagues, immediate senior management and subordinates to rank-order resumes' as a means to mitigate any personal biases, though in the end the decision was mine.
A good portion of this looks great as part of the intro. We'll have to try and reword some of the page to get a more "professional" appearance.

I like a lot of what you have and would like to get it integrated with the trst of the page.
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
SuperDave1426 wrote:I showed the State Manager signature icon that I'm using below to my RC (Jemay) and asked if I should create a set to cover every state. He loved the idea, and I'm working on that project now.

What I'd like to do when they're all completed is to upload them to the Wiki and add a table to the State Manager page with those icons. This way, we've got a standard icon to use in forum signatures (like the edit count shields and rank cones, etc., that are elsewhere in the Wiki) for those who want to put them in their signatures.

Anyone have any objections to my putting them on the page?
I have another suggestion. The SM icons could be added to the signature page. This way a link could be added, directing editors to the signature page to choose their state icon.
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
kentsmith9 wrote:With 50 entries we should create a table of the 50 entries alphabetically. I also recommend we put it on a subpage of the signature page.
Added State Manager to the Forum Signature Banner page. Created sub-page called State Manger Icons, located at Forum_Signature_Banners/State_Manager_Icon.

Also, SuperDave1426, I have already created a table that is 50x3. This should help make it quicker to build the table, unless you already have one. If you do, go ahead and kill mine.
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
I added a link to the sub-page. It should have displayed.
Fredo-p
Send a message