Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

[New Template] State Template suite

Post by
After some significant input and feedback from champs and selected area managers, I am pleased to announce the availability of the new common State Template for the USA.

Its purpose is to create consistency between all 50+ states and territories in the USA. The templates are complex in the back end to enable some simplicity on the user side, but still allow all state/territories to be updated with a single change to a linked template. It was designed to be updated by people with little to no Wiki editing experience.

Parts of the template are common to all states, some parts are unique to individual states.

If you would like to see what it looks like, check out these pages already using the new template: If you would like to set up your state on the new template, please post your desire here so we can be sure we don't have multiple people setting up the same state. Then I can point you to the instructions for getting started.

Other states being tested now: EDIT: The test phase is officially over. The template is ready for use by any state that is so interested in using it.

All current state pages not yet on the new template have the template {{UpdateToStateTemplate}} already added. If you start working on a test page for the state template, consider updating the UpdateToStateTemplate template on the original page to include a link to the test page. The link above provides the information necessary to format the link. Do not include the full URL, just the page name like {{UpdateToStateTemplate|Arkansas/Test}}.

I updated the template to include two different tracking categories.

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Category:Upd ... e_template
- Pages in progress with a link to the test page.

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Category:Upd ... e_template
- Pages that do not yet have the test page linked in the template.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Template Deployment Status

POSTER_ID:7009939

Send a message

Post by Inactive user -1697532064-
Sorry for the necro-post (and a common speed limit section would have been nice :D). We have a request to add information about the passageway type into the template in the drivable roads section. Any thoughts on this addition? I'm not sure if it fits, since the bullet points there are not about Waze road types per se, but rather common real road situations. The road types page abundantly addresses the passageway type, but new editors often do map these, and it could be helpful to have the prohibition on the state pages.
Inactive user -1697532064-
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32

Default language for new editors in the US is US English, so Passageway is the proper term to use.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

Kent, another thing we've been discussing in Discord is finding a way not to display the info on camera identification for states where both types of cameras are illegal. If a state cannot have either type of camera installed anywhere, there's no reason to know anything more about them, so we should not include that info. Renee and I have been trying to figure out how to make changes to the template that turns that common text into optional but default text. I haven't been able to come up with a simple way to do it, since I am a novice when it comes to parser functions. Could you help, since you wrote all this?
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

Post by aemfield
I'm ready to set it up for the Idaho page.
aemfield
Send a message

Post by bart99gt
I'm ready to get the Mississippi wiki page moved over to the new format. Just point me in the right direction.
bart99gt
Send a message
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by bart99gt
I'm trying to create a table of other editors in the state, but I can't get any of their information to appear. Anyone want to take a stab at what is wrong here?

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... pdate*/%20

I've put the information into both areas (I know it only needs to be in one spot, but I'm out of ideas) but nothing appears in the table. I stink at coding stuff like this, I'm sure it is some syntax issue, but I just don't know enough to troubleshoot it without it taking me an hour.

Also, I'm more or less ready for this to be the official page, how do I change it from being "Test"?
bart99gt
Send a message
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by bart99gt
Fredo-p wrote:
bart99gt wrote:I'm trying to create a table of other editors in the state, but I can't get any of their information to appear. Anyone want to take a stab at what is wrong here?

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... pdate*/%20

I've put the information into both areas (I know it only needs to be in one spot, but I'm out of ideas) but nothing appears in the table. I stink at coding stuff like this, I'm sure it is some syntax issue, but I just don't know enough to troubleshoot it without it taking me an hour.

Also, I'm more or less ready for this to be the official page, how do I change it from being "Test"?
Resolved.

The issue is the AM template you were using. For some reason is was this:
{{Editor|YOUR_USER_NAME|YOUR_RANK#|YOUR_AREA|ANY_COMMENT}}

When it should have been:
{{AM/Editor|YOUR_USER_NAME|YOUR_RANK#|YOUR_AREA|ANY_COMMENT}}

It was missing the "AM/". Regardless if they are AM or not, this must be included as it's part of the template code.

Also, you said you added it twice. Try not to do that. I removed that extra part. By forcing a table where the template didn't have one before, you can run into more errors than expected. If you ever have any questions, ask first and we can walk you through it so you can learn. It took me a while to get used to it. Heck, I'm still learning. :D

Thanks. I just put it in the second area just to see if it would work there instead and was going to delete the unneeded one once I got it to work.
bart99gt
Send a message
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by BlueTiger68
Missouri is ready to move to the new state template. How do we get started?
BlueTiger68
Send a message

Post by bummerdude69
Suggested addition wrote:The "Area Managed" field should indicate only the permanent editable area assigned in response to a formal application, not any additional editable area resulting from drives or MapRaid participation.
I still have my NYC MapRaid that was informally requested (which I edit as my local area allows). Would that fit the description?
bummerdude69
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by bummerdude69
DwarfLord wrote:The problem is that "Area Managed" means different things to different people.

Usual Editable Area:
How about Usual Editing Area instead?
bummerdude69
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message