Would you like to see this revised Glossary be adopted for the Waze Wiki?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:00 pm
Yes
94%
No
3%
Will comment first (votes can be changed)
3%

Total votes: 34

New Glossary concept and format

Post by GizmoGuy411
GizmoGuy411 wrote:The new Glossary is release! Please read more here:
viewtopic.php?f=276&t=125960&start=70#p1099935
I have been working on a new format and concept for the glossary since last summer, and additional content for over a year.

A demo of this has been shared with a few Wazers, including a number of Champs. kentsmith9 reviewed, and gave his blessing to the initial content last year and to the revised format a couple months ago.

The revised format uses a sort-able table with an Abbreviation or Acronym, a Description, a Revision Date, and most importantly a Term column for each entry row.

A Table of Contents remains for direct alphabetic linking to the Terms.

One use for the addition of the Revision Date will be to easily allow non Wiki savvy users to view the latest entries and changes without referring to the Wiki history.

Part of this new concept is to allow the inclusion of all the abbreviations, acronyms and initialisms, that we inevitably, naturally and regularly use in all the Waze related communication mediums. The inclusion of these will greatly help new and old users reference everything in one location. Our use of these is a major problem for new users. One link to this revised glossary would help solve some the alienation and confusion we unintentionally cause.

To facilitate the maintenance of the glossary, and to avoid duplication of content, the other facet of this concept is to reduce the Description content to a minimum whenever possible and especially if other resource pages exist within the Wiki or external resources. This could also include an increased use of the Wiki disambiguation pages.

Note that in the current Demo, the entries do not yet all follow the proposed "Description" format rules. All links should be defined as to what type of resource they link to, whether it be an internal Article or Section, the forum, a spreadsheet, or some other external web link. Links should also indicate if they are "See....." or "Also see..." in nature. This method is very inconsistent in the existing Glossary and work will be needed to make the transition.

Note that this is VERY English language centric. Other non-English speaking Wazers may want to create their own such glossaries that would link to their own language pages. However, this glossary would still be a very useful tool for them in their communications in the many English speaking communication mediums.

The request for your vote here will be shared with the newly formed Waze Wiki Masters to make the final decision for its adoption.

When viewing the Demo, please login to the Wiki to insure you are viewing the latest revision of the page. Please do not edit the Demo.

Link:
Glossary Replacement Demo

(This is a new demo page with location moved to PesachZ's user space using is tempate code.)
Technical considerations:
The following is the Wiki markup format for an entry:

Code: Select all

<!-----------------------BEGINNING OF ENTRY, SEPARATOR BAR----------------------->
|- valign="top"
| (glossary term)
| (abbr.)
| (description)<br />THIS IS A TEMPLATE ROW <br /> Copy only. Do not edit or delete.
|<small><small> (date) </small></small>
<!--------------------------END OF ENTRY, SEPARATOR BAR-------------------------->

This is how an actual entry would look in the Wiki editor:

Code: Select all

<!-----------------------BEGINNING OF ENTRY, SEPARATOR BAR----------------------->
|- valign="top"
|{{Anchor|WME Color Highlights}}WME Color Highlights
|WMECH or CH
|A browser extension script for WME.

See the [Community_Plugins,_Extensions_and_Tools|Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools] Wiki page for more info.
|<small><small> (date) </small></small>
<!-------------------------END OF ENTRY, SEPARATOR BAR-------------------------->
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:871703

Send a message
Last edited by GizmoGuy411 on Mon May 04, 2015 11:22 am, edited 7 times in total.
Reason: Added second Glossary code

U.S. based Global Champ Emeritus
U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
U.S. Great Lakes ARC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
(and past GLR RC)
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Google Pixel XL3 & iPad "3"

Post by bummerdude69
For those of us who need it, here's the link to (what I hope is) the current Glossary. https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Glossary

I like the format of the old one, seems clearer and easier to find the subject I'm looking for. I don't know if it's doable, but have the subject big and bold with the other columns underneath it, would also open up more screen width.

Could all the disambiguous pages link that glossary instead of pages of their own?
bummerdude69
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by GizmoGuy411
I am all for an alternate idea to make the glossary editing task simpler and less error prone, I had figured that maintenance would have needed to be limited to a team regardless to vet new entries.

For any of the solutions suggested, please insure that they keep the ToC and sortable column features intact to preserve the overall concept.

As far as the old format is concerned, I agree it may have looked cleaner and simpler. However, it is not sort-able or as cross-referenced, and content is not as consistent as it can be in table. Experiment with the new table sorting and the links in the new format to see what I mean.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
Good questions.

I am moments from needing to be out the door, so I'll return and answer in better form in question order.

Many references are not yet created, so some issues will be ironed out as we complete them. I spent 10 hours working on it last night, and once that version is uploaded it may look different yet.

The (U) and (A) additions to the dates are not added to the templates yet. I sprung this on PZ, just when he did not have time to add them. He did manager to get another change into the templates to add a blank line between description text and the links. This should show with the next upload.

The jump back was an attempt to accomplish my goal of showing how everything interconnects. We'l have to look at that in more detail including the "^" character click-ability.

The "~" character is for sorting, and SHOULD occur any time those cells are empty. When sorting on that column, it puts the empty entries at the end so that non empty entries are shown first.

The (abbr.) and (alias) entries are triggers for those non primary entries. I'll leave a better explanation to PZ. I originally did not intend on having abbreviations or alias' in the Term column. We need to add them there to get things to work.

A couple of your other questions I did not understand, and will have to look closer at the sheet to see what you meant. PZ may see the answers to those quicker.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
Wow.. that was a lot more than I was prepared to write. And explained much better!

Thanks PZ for letting get some sleep tonight!
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
I would like to announce the release of the New Glossary concept and format which occurred at the North American Champ Meet-up in NYC on May 26th.

PeseachZ developed major enhancements to my original new glossary developing spreadsheet and all of the Wiki templates used for the back-end support of the new glossary as well as the Google form to submit additions and changes to the Glossary.

PeseachZ also helped significantly with the difficult job of content organization and the presentation for the meet-up.

I would like to thank him for is incredible support of the concept, his tireless work to make it function as intended, and his patience with my long list of changes as we built the system.

Given that I had three major projects to announce at the meet-up, and with my extremely weak voice, I requested that PZ give his very well received presentation.
Glossary presentation.jpg
(10.74 KiB) Downloaded 1297 times
Please be sure to commend PZ for all his work on the new Glossary concept since I announced the project last October!

I would would also like to thank AlanOfTheBerg for the Glossary Search Bookmarklet, and to Kentsmith for his ongoing expert Wiki advice since 2013.

Since starting this project in late 2013, I had doubled the original 87 entries by October 2014.

As of today there are now:
500 Entries including
134 Abbreviations
68 Alias and
326 Main Terms

Although many new terms now include descriptions and links, we only consider the total content to be 55% complete as of this post.

Glossary:
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Glossary

Glossary Presentation:
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Talk:Glossary
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by jromer
I reviewed the new and the old format. I mostly prefer the new format.

I must start with I am not a HTML editor nor Wiki Editor expert, I can edit, sorta, so I am responding as a "viewer" of the information first and foremost, with limited consideration as an editor.

As a "user" of the information, I prefer the bold larger type face of the old format - I would like to see the first column have bold face larger type like the original.

I like the layout of the new format better. I prefer to see a Glossary not mix acronyms (e.g. AGC) and terms in the same column. You need to be able to search for a topic either using the acronym or the full term, and I believe both are searchable in the new format?

Regarding acronyms, if for some reason an acronym is not a simple abbreviation and thus may not be in a true alphabetic sort when reviewing the acronym column when the table is sorted by full term, then sorting the column should allow the terms to sort into an alphabetic order, so that issue is handled by the new format, allowing an easy review in either order.

I like the sorting capability of the new format, including the Last Edit date, so that is a big plus for me.

Those are my first thoughts.

As to edits, I did not think the current format was any easier or more difficult to update than the new format and could use either. Editing a long list with all terms can be confusing (and allow a simple editing error to take out the entire table), but there are issues with other methods and approaches too. I defer to Wike and HTML experts on these matters.

Thanks for all the work.
jromer
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message
The roads don't go there, And the signs stay home, And nobody knows it but me.
- Patrick O'Leary

https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/7/76/W ... 00k_4c.png

Editor: Southwest Ohio |

Post by kentsmith9
Great work here. I think the new format is great with the ability to use the index to get to the content. I like the index still being available when sorted by first column.

I see the anchors work great in the table. We just need to create an anchor for each entry.

PesachZ's template would be good to simplify the formatting. Not sure we need a whole edit per line setup, but if someone wants to build that it is certainly doable. Probably just make the transclusions from subpages of the glossary to keep everything together.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
PesachZ wrote:If you want me to try, I can attempt a transcludable template which can be used per entry, and include an edit link.

Taken a step further, we could have a template link to create new entry subpages preformatted with a blank entry template, so its easier for newer editors to add items
If you have the time and want to try, I think it would have benefit for users with less wiki ability.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
bummerdude69 wrote:I like the format of the old one, seems clearer and easier to find the subject I'm looking for. I don't know if it's doable, but have the subject big and bold with the other columns underneath it, would also open up more screen width.
Formatting is possible, but then you could not sort on the different columns. I think that is a bigger loss than the gain of the current formatting (IMHO).
bummerdude69 wrote:Could all the disambiguous pages link that glossary instead of pages of their own?
Not sure what you mean.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message