Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Road Locking Description

Post by kentsmith9
In this other thread bgodette indicates the current locking mechanism behaves differently than we have in the Wiki.
Current Wiki wrote:The lock feature does the following:

*Locking segments will prevent lower users from changing it only if it is close to their driving area. A locked segment cannot be edited by an editor with a lower editing rank than the lock's level (defined by the level of the segment's most recent editor, not by the first locking user.)

The locking function may still perform some of it's legacy functions:

(1) Disables any automated geometry changes - i.e. GPS tracks will no longer drag the road towards some average of all GPS tracks on a segment. Manual editing is still possible.
(2) Disables any automated driving direction change - i.e. if you set the road as one way, even if someone drives the opposite way, it will remain one way. (This has some unlocking to it - if a lot of people drive the opposite way, or only the opposite way, eventually it will unlock)
(3) Sets the routing to 'obey' the connectivity on the segment. That is, if a turn is not allowed in Waze Map Editor, usually the routing algorithm will give such a turn a penalty of x points and will try to avoid it, as much as possible. If the segment is locked, the penalty to make a turn against what is defined in WME grows a lot, and the chances of getting a turn instruction that is against what has been defined is almost non existent.

Segments that are locked will affect the turn restrictions for all other segments connected to either end of the locked segment at those junctions. Therefore when changing turn restrictions for another segment you find the turn restriction is not changing, check the other segments at that junction. It is possible another segment is locked at a level higher than your current editing level. You will need to post a request to the Unlock Request Forum to get it unlocked to enable making the change to the other segment's turn restrictions.
I moved this discussion here so we can review what exactly needs to change. I think the intro is worded in a convoluted way that is hard to follow and I can fix that, but I am unclear what bgodette is saying is different or no longer true. I am pretty sure the last paragraph is still true.

I added the numbers above to make it easier for us to discuss here. I believe he is saying #2 above is no longer true, but I thought I would get confirmation if we think all the rest is still accurate.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

POSTER_ID:7009939

Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
I'm on board with bgodette's wording...

Since there is the information on the Unlock Request forum, it may be a good idea to 1) link to the forum & 2) either link to or repost the directions on how to format the unlock request.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
kentsmith9 wrote:Complete.
You linked to the Update Request Forum instead of the Unlock Request Forum... Semantics, I know, but the UNLOCK forum has the instructions in it...

I also added a final sentence that reads "Please see the Unlock Request Instruction Summary post for information on how to format your request."
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by bgodette
The very first sentence isn't needed, or needs to be reworded if its intention was to refer to a user's driven area and the old permissions system. Since the current permission system is such that you cannot edit higher level locks, only the second sentence matters.

Legacy #1 and #2 are now really gone. Up to a couple of months ago some segments would be affected by the automatic processes when they should not have been. If the segment was locked, the segments wouldn't be modified, if the segment attribute allowNoDirection was False, the segment would not be modified.

However since Waze fixed whatever internal flag was supposed to be set on any segment that was editor modified it no longer is relevant. All modified segments since about 2 months ago, and all future modifications, now correctly prevent the automatic systems from adjusting geometry and direction as originally intended.

Legacy #3 hasn't been the case for over a year since Waze separated that function out of the locked attribute and into two independent attributes for each end of the segment (fwdTurnsLocked and revTurnsLocked). These attributes are set to True whenever a turn restriction originating from that end of the segment is modified. (Soft Turns)

So basically all that's left of it is:

Code: Select all

A locked segment cannot be edited by an editor with a lower editing rank than the lock's level (defined by the level of the segment's most recent editor, not by the first locking user.) 

Segments that are locked will affect the turn restrictions for all other segments connected to either end of the locked segment at those junctions. Therefore when changing turn restrictions for another segment you find the turn restriction is not changing, check the other segments at that junction. It is possible another segment is locked at a level higher than your current editing level. You will need to post a request to the Unlock Request Forum to get it unlocked to enable making the change to the other segment's turn restrictions.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
:lol: I just turned on the link that was originally there. It has been wrong for all this time. I'm glad you checked it out.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message