Disambiguation pages

Post by kentsmith9
{EDIT} You can always see the most current list of pages that include the {{Disambig}} template by following this link:
http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php?titl ... e:Disambig

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I started down the path to create disambiguation pages for the Wiki. I tried to replicate the system used in Wikipedia. Unfortunately there is a bunch of very low level templates used in Wikipedia that {EDITED} require special Wiki extensions (parser functions) that we are working to get added through Waze.

Either way I found that we can get close enough to help users simply using a basic format. I created the first one (that I know about) with Level.

For those unfamiliar with a disambiguation page, the idea is sort of like a dictionary entry for a single term providing links to the articles that cover different aspects of that one term. Level was a good example where I found at least three types of "levels" in our nomenclature.

I would recommend we follow the general Wikipedia rules of disambiguation formatting to provide consistency for us to follow.

If anyone finds a term that they believe has more than one meaning in the Waze universe, post the term here and we can create the necessary disambiguation page if the process is not fully understood. Otherwise feel free to create the disambiguation page directly.

For now I ask that anyone creating a disambiguation page include the template "{{Disambig}}" at the bottom of the page. Note that currently that template actually does nothing visibly on the page, but will enable tracking and better management of disambiguation pages in the future.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

POSTER_ID:7009939

Send a message
Last edited by kentsmith9 on Fri May 02, 2014 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved link to where used template to first post

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I'd like to see vets clearly referring to "Level" only related to a segment Level value, and to NOT use level when referring to rank. "Road rank", "Editor Rank" etc. should be used, and not phrases like "Editor level." I think this will help clear the messages users are getting from us.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by kentsmith9
I have added a few more Disambiguation pages. You can always see the most current list of pages that include the {{Disambig}} template by following this link:
http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php?titl ... e:Disambig

When I add more I will try to remember to link them here. If anyone else adds any, please edit this entry (or just post in this thread and someone can add to this entry).

These entries by default are actual disambiguation pages. When they are something else we will note that in parenthesis at the end. Many pages may be ''hatnotes" meaning they are standard pages most commonly associated with the article name with links at the top of the page to similar pages.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Last edited by kentsmith9 on Sun May 19, 2013 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added hatnote description

Post by kentsmith9
Wolfeye wrote:"Node" is a common word.

Junction node
Geometry node
End node
Good one. Actually in this case since we had to define it as well, so I have it Disambiguated in the Glossary under Node. That links to each of the definitions in the glossary and the Glossary links to the Wiki pages that get into more detail.

[Added to OP]
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
A number of additional disambiguation pages have been added since about one year ago.

Today I added =https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Area_%28dis ... ion%29Area.

See the original post for a link to see all the DAB pages.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by orbitc
kentsmith9 wrote:I added Map updates and updated OP.
Nice work...
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Regional Coordinator for Northeast & New England
•Tier1 •USA Coordinator •Global Champ & Mentor
•iOS & WME ßeta Tester •Beacon, CCP & Wiki Master
•Master Raiders •Localization •Content Raider

USA | MapRaid!

Post by Wolfeye
"Node" is a common word.