Road Closures and Construction

Post by kentsmith9
In a recent thread from a user, the topic of road closures came up. A reply linked to this page of the Wiki on road closures.

With the recent Road Closure feature we now have two methods for marking roads as closed. I think this page on road closures should be updated to reflect the two options so I will start making those changes.

Note that I cannot seem to locate anything in the Wiki on the new Report:Closure feature in the client. Did we really not yet create a page on that? The current Report page does not include it. There is a pretty detailed thread on the topic, but I guess we have not created a page yet.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

POSTER_ID:7009939

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
When is reads "disconnect" that what it really means. Turn restrictions are still just a penalty and can, based on other calculations performed by the routing server when building the route, be used to route through. A disconnect is the only 100% cure.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Haydenray wrote:Perhaps an official definition of the word "disconnect" in order here.
Hmmm... Disconnect != Delete :o

Disconnect means take the road which is closed and drag the endpoints away from junctions which connect it to other streets. Hence the phrase "disconnect." :mrgreen:
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AndyPoms
ncc1701v wrote:I like to add the expected finish date when I know it eg "construction until 15 July".
Notes in the editor are currently under development.

If may be helpful to log construction in either the state forums or even in the Wiki. In CT we keep track of things in the wiki using the Connecticut Construction page.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by CBenson
The problem is that for major routes especially on freeways and bridges where alternate routes aren't as readily available, waze will route through turn restrictions in some circumstances. I don't see a change that needs to be made.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
petervdveen wrote:Renaming roads will add a lot of crap into the waze DB.
Although what you say makes sense, it would also make sense for the waze address DB not to include ramps or freeways and for theses types to simply be defined as roads without destinations on them.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by DwarfLord
The wiki on "How to Report" includes, of course, a subsection on reporting closures:

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/How_to_Report#Closure

however this is nearly at the end of the wiki and it is followed a paragraph later by a concluding statement that reads "These reports do not affect routing...a road full of 'reports' on its own will not affect the route selected by the server."

It took me a few takes to realize that this concluding statement applied to all the other kinds of reports but not the closure report. Even now I am not certain, because the concluding paragraph seems so straightforward and clear, almost blunt. On the other hand it would make no sense at all for a road closure report not to affect routing.

Can the language be improved for clarity?
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
Want to make sure this thread is aware of the other that I started on updating the Road Closures page. The discussion is already to the point of adding information on the US road closure form.
[Update]Road Closure
Fredo-p
Send a message

Arizona Wiki | @Waze_Arizona Twitter
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S8+

Post by jondrush
Should we update this page with the new event closure mechanism Waze now offers? Or should that be a separate page.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message