Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

[Page Update] How Waze determines turn/keep/exit maneuvers

Post by
After reading and rereading this page many times to understand how to better edit junctions and control navigation instructions, I think I finally understand it. I wanted to make it easier for new or non-technical editors to understand.

I copied the page to my name space and modified it there. I went through the entire page, fixed and added links, removed outdated (papyrus) references, added new descriptive images, changed some formatting, and added clarifying (I hope) text. You can see the proposed updated page here.

Please let me know if you think this is an improvement, or if it still needs work.

Thank you

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2

POSTER_ID:16413809

Send a message

Post by Inactive user -1697532064-
Falkonir wrote:Hi Dear friend
i have a matter
when we have 2 different segment in junction
if we drive in highway and we want go to a primary street
waze doesn't say " keep prompt "
it just says "exit prompt "
if i have your email i can send you 3 image

sincerly yours
Falkonir
This is the default behavior. If you want to override it, just change the turn using a turn instruction override.
Inactive user -1697532064-
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
PesachZ wrote:I have no idea how to, but if you'd like to show me if be happy to, or you can do it for me.
There is, FYI, an Upload a File link in the left sidebar of every page.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I can't verify, but is it possible this is related to getting alt names used for detour prevention? I know there was a detour I reported that Waze stated they "some turned off feature in the detour mechanism." Because this has to do with alt-names and the recent discovery of best continuation using alt-names... I feel like these are related, and there has been some unexpected byproduct of the "fix."
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Is there full confirmation from Waze that this is operating as designed? I think this is a bug.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I posted my concern thread in the GC forum.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sketch wrote:Alan, would you mind bringing this to DA? If not I can try to carve out some time.
Certainly. I doubt we're going to get a response until late this week or maybe next.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I cannot wait until we get the Junction Box so we can remove wayfinder segments completely.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I have some comments.

First, this page was created by waze staff and has always contained some errors. I think the best course of action is write a new page and revert the old page (which I can't currently access) back to the way the staff provided it for reference as the guidance we actually received from waze.

Despite what the original page states, there doesn't have to be a "best continuation." In other words, in the right circumstances you can get an instruction for every exiting segment for a particular s-in.

"The angle between this segment and s-in is smaller than the angle between s-out and s-in" is a bogus requirement. I've never found an example where the relative angles have any effect at all.

Basically, if s-out is the only exiting segment with a turn angle of less than 45 degrees then you get no turn instruction for s-out. If there are multiple exiting segments with turn angles of less than 45 degrees, then if one has a better street name & road type match then it will not get a turn instruction. If there are multiple exiting segments with turn angles of less than 45 degrees and there is not one with a better street name & road type match, then you get a turn instruction for each exiting segment.

You get a "turn" instruction if the turn angle is over 45 degrees regardless of whether the street name and road type matches.

I have never seen an actual example of the turn instruction not given at a T into a one-way road.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
qwaletee wrote:Just to give an example of how the angles work that may be counterintuitive. Say you have a girl in the road, but both forks are right of 180 degrees. The main road is bent at a 140 degree angle (call this northeast for simplicity). The branch is a few degrees right of center, call that NNE. Even though you have to turn slightly RIGHT to take the branch, the instruction is to keep LEFT, because it is left of the Best Continuation. That's the whole point of the best continuation, to provide a reference point compare to for right or left. It says nothing about how sharp the driver maneuver is.
But there are no* examples of instructions that actually work this way. A route from any s-in to any s-out that gets an instruction and deviates to the right, gets a "right" instructions. A route from any s-in to any s-out that gets an instruction and deviates to the left, gets a "left" instructions. Where the "best continuation is (if there is one) has no effect.

*The only exception may be where the angle is zero, in which case whether you get a keep/exit/stay right or keep/stay left may depend on whether there is another segment to the right or left.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
PesachZ wrote:Thank you very much for the detailed feedback.
CBenson wrote:I have some comments.

First, this page was created by waze staff and has always contained some errors. I think the best course of action is write a new page and revert the old page (which I can't currently access) back to the way the staff provided it for reference as the guidance we actually received from waze.
This is a possibility, however if we know the page has errors, how hard would it be to get an updated accurate version from Waze staff?
In my experience, extremely hard.

Here is my take on the process:
turn_instructions (4).png
(135.77 KiB) Downloaded 2790 times
EDIT: I changed the chart slightly.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message