Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Road Closed - Waze becomes useless

Post by DerekErb
I'm driving home from somewhere I've never been before. That's one of the reasons I have a GPS app. I get to the autoroute (highway - motorway) and it's temporarily closed for construction.

I can't figure out any way to tell Waze that this road is closed. I drive off the obligatory exit. But Waze keeps trying to take me back to the autoroute which is closed. I drive a few kilometres heading in what I believe to be the direction home. But Waze still will only take me back to the closed autoroute.

After losing a half an hour I click over to the new Apple Maps on my iPhone 5 and they get me home. But, as everyone knows, the interface is awful and, due to numerous reports, I have difficulty fully trusting the directions. It's now 1 AM, black outside, and I'm lost. Apple Maps got me home (barely). My TomTom was in the glove compartment where I have kept it since using Waze for the past couple of months. I came very close to putting my iPhone and Waze away and putting my TomTom back on its holder...

Is there some way to tell Waze when a road is temporarily closed?

Is there some way to tell Waze to avoid a given road on the route it proposes?
DerekErb

POSTER_ID:10651919

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
DerekFrance wrote:Is there some way to tell Waze when a road is temporarily closed?

Is there some way to tell Waze to avoid a given road on the route it proposes?
Not from the app, no. Did all 3 alternate routes use the same closed route, too?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
DerekFrance wrote:Is there an easy way to get to the alternate routes when in the middle of one?
Main menu->Routes.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
davipt wrote:
andrewkjs wrote: +1 I've also been annoyed with only being given one route for destinations that are a few KM away when I press the Routes button, even when I know that the single route is closed / unavailable.
Or even worst in my case, it always gives me the last 500m route that is never the one I take every single day to arrive home,
Remember that you have to drive the routes Waze wants you to in order for it to route you most efficiently. It likely doesn't have the right data for the route it is recommending yet.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by andrewkjs
davipt wrote: Unfortunately according to my tests and usage waze provides only a single route when the destination is nearby enough, which makes this road-close case even worse. Waze should always provide three alternatives, even if the 2nd and 3rd one may be, according to the client algorithms, much worse than the first one. Give me the alternatives, let me choose where to go.
+1 I've also been annoyed with only being given one route for destinations that are a few KM away when I press the Routes button, even when I know that the single route is closed / unavailable.
andrewkjs
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/2/2a/W ... 00k_5c.png
Area Manager: Petaling Jaya, Malaysia.
Waze Malaysia: FB | G+ | Forum | Wiki

Post by AndyPoms
lakeyboy wrote:I think Road Closures should be able to be added on the website. My idea would be for the Map Editor to have a new Road Closure tab or option where you can highlight road segments which are going to be closed, and set the local time of when the road will close and re-open. This information would get transmitted to the app separately from map tiles so it's available to Waze users ASAP.

For example, in my city a couple of weeks ago a whole 40km freeway was shut down so they could hold a cycling event. It would have been nice to go into the editor, highlight the whole freeway, set the closure times and for Waze to not route you onto that road. And the app should give you a warning when it detects a closed road, for example when that freeway is normally the fastest route, so you know why Waze won't route you down that freeway at a particular time.

I can't see this being implemented well in the app itself as you can't put a road closed icon on a road you can't drive on. Perhaps a "road closure in area" option in the app and you can type what the closure is.
This is being worked on... http://www.waze.com/blog/waze-wishes-bo ... -closures/ If you search the forum for "marathon", there are some more details... Despite the UK Area & Country Managers practically begging for this system for use in the last Olympics, it was not used.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by CBenson
jasonh300 wrote:I've experienced this where Waze didn't see any other route besides the one that was closed. In my case, the alternate route would be 10+ miles out of the way and Waze isn't ever going to offer that as an alternate.
I've experienced this where the three alternative routes all used the closed road and a valid alternative route would be going around the block. (Of course in that situation I didn't have any problem finding my way home.)
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by darkneon
Somewhere in the future there will be an option to report closed roads so Waze will avoid it.

Verzonden met Tapatalk op mijn Samsung Galaxy Note(GT-N7000).
darkneon
Send a message

Post by darkneon
petervdveen wrote:Normaly there are deviation signs on the side of the road, right?
You wanna try that theory out in Belgium? I dare you :twisted:

Verzonden met Tapatalk op mijn Samsung Galaxy Note(GT-N7000).
darkneon
Send a message

Post by DerekErb
Is there an easy way to get to the alternate routes when in the middle of one? I had to change the destination to somewhere else and then go back and change the destination back to Home to see the 3 routes. But all of the routes used the, temporarily closed, autoroute.

I come upon a closed road and the app becomes useless makes me unlikely to use and rely upon it.
DerekErb
Send a message