Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Forum rules
The place to ask for help when editing in the UK.

Map Editing Guidelines . Join the UK Discord Server

Using Landmarks for Railways

Post by
[Split from UK Guidelines topic]

I think using landmarks for railways is a big mistake. There is no upside that I can see over using segments marked as "Railroad" (which is surely why these are here). Issues:
  • They merge into other landmarks, including stations.
  • The word "Railway" keeps appearing on the map, mostly for no apparent reason to the user.
  • It's abuse of the landmark feaure, given that Railroad is a segment type.
  • They look rubbish
  • Long landmarks are hader to manage than segments.
  • They look a mess in WME
The counter argument about how Railroad type segments appear (or don't) on the client is a separate issue and should be addressed directly.

POSTER_ID:3044308

Send a message

Post by Dave2084
mrgrumpy wrote:"I really need to know where the best vantage point is to get the number of the Liverpool express!"
Isn't the trainspotting functionality going to be the killer feature in Waze 4.0? ;-)
Dave2084
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
iPhone 12 Pro Max • iOS 15.x • Waze 4.x
Level 6 Editor • iOS Beta Leader • Waze Global Champ (Retired)

Post by ditchi56
When I worked in IT, I learnt that mis-recording data for temporary convenience such as working around a system problem has a habit of causing bigger problems later.

So on principle, I think if railways are going to be recorded, they should "railroad" rather than "walking trail", "landmark" or anything else.

I would imagine it would be a fairly trivial change to the client to display "railroad"s as a thin black line if that is what we want, has anybody tried asking Waze HQ?
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 5
Send a message

Post by dknight212
But it used to do something, remember some of the map problems?

David using Tapatalk
dknight212
Send a message

Post by maantje76
Use 'walking trails' instead of the landmark. Nice tiny and clear line, can give it à streetname. Result:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343665917.579911.jpg
(70.27 KiB) Downloaded 672 times
maantje76
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by maantje76
mrgrumpy wrote:I agree with Tony. We already have segments for railroads, what's wrong with using them?
Last time I marked some walking trails on, Waze tried sending me along them!
Wouldn't it better to concentrate on getting the roads right and just leave off the railroads if they're not already marked? If we're driving, surely we want to know where the stations are, and maybe mark on level crossings, but is it important to mark the tracks?

Just my two penneth. Probably get loads of abuse now from trainspotters! "I really need to know where the best vantage point is to get the number of the Liverpool express!"
;)
it is important for locking wazers that are traveling by train. We can't forbid them to do that. Adding railroad is enough to do that, but we know it doesn't appear on the map. That's why we are using walking trails. There are lots of users that keeps paving those tracks. With bad gps reception, you can imagine what à mess this going to be. Yes, every few weeks egain we have to deal with that. since I added them in à large area over here, I have never seen that anymore.

It takes some time to add, if railroads aren't allready present, but they are almost straight, so it's pretty fast to do...don't connect them anywhere to the normal road network. Routing on them is then almost impossible.

Changing railroads to be vissable as a small black line is probably better, but we have to do it with what we have...
maantje76
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by NinjaKid2002
With dirt tracks, isn't there a risk of Waze thinking you're on the dirt track if you're running parallel?
Surely using railroad allows Waze to switch them on when they eventually decide to so users can see them on the maps.
Also, it'd be a good way to soak up Waze polluters who decide to turn it on when they're on the train.
I like the walking trails approach though, very tidy.
NinjaKid2002
Send a message

Post by NinjaKid2002
I'm dead against the landmark option as it looks so fugly. They're practically indistinguishable from rivers. If you create the, as walking trails and then Waze creates a use for the railway road-type, then they're easy to convert, but landmarks could be a total waste of time.
NinjaKid2002
Send a message

Post by thelight1
Personally I really dislike them, especially the way Waze randomly places the landmark name somewhere on it, as opposed to on it, it's very hard to make out.
thelight1
Send a message

Post by Timbones
I don't agree with them 'looking rubbish', but I take your point that this is a hack that really should not be necessary. I would like to see Waze make Railroads a) appear on the map (thin black line) and b) never raise traffic reports on them.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries

Post by Timbones
maantje76 wrote:Use 'walking trails' instead of the landmark. Nice tiny and clear line, can give it à streetname.
I've used Dirt Tracks in the past with similar effect, though they don't show up well on the map.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries