Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Forum rules
The place to ask for help when editing in the UK.

Map Editing Guidelines . Join the UK Discord Server

Do you agree?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:02 pm
Yes
71%
No
12%
Undecided
18%

Total votes: 17

The (County) Suffix

Post by
I know this is opening a fairly large can of worms, but I'd like to see the advice in the Wiki changed so that the "(County)" suffix is only added when absolutely necessary. My supporting arguments are as follows:-

Smudges: The map editor does not allow a new town to be created that is too far away from an existing town with the same name. This was the primary reason for the suffix, and so we no longer need to be adding it 'just in case' there's another town with the same name.

Searches: The suffix doesn't appear when searching for a town in the Waze app, so it's no use there. I also expect most users to be searching for a specific address anyway.

The Map: Towns with suffixes look simply horrid on the map, and is unnecessary clutter.

Cities: There are 53 cities in the UK [1], all unique and well known. Many of which are large enough to need split up into smaller sub-regions. No room or need for the suffix here.

Towns: There are 929 towns in England [2], and all bar 14 of them have unique names. Let's keep the town names clean, and only add the suffix to those 14.

State field: The suffix is just a hack until we get a proper state (county) field in the editor (which may never happen). If it does magically appear, then we can ask Waze to set the field using geographic data, rather than parsing them out of city names.

Now, I'm not suggesting that we have to go and rename all the towns manually before the next map update, but we should at least consider changing the rule for new towns that get added, and gradually work on the existing ones over time. We can ask Waze to help too, if there are specific towns that need tidying up.

My tuppence. :)

POSTER_ID:1445148

Send a message

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

Sounds reasonable. Whenever working through a village I always check to see if there is duplicate to it and don't add the county whenever possible. Would be handy to know what 14 towns you have.

There are a couple of villages/suburbs that clash. Finchley and Beaumont are two I have come across.

Suburbs though really hack me off!!!

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,
xteejx wrote:As long as roads in that vicinity have City set, the Major/Minor road would show that anyway.
Most roads passing through any village/town will have defining signage to say that you are now entering x town/village. Ergo you add the city field at this point. Obviously some towns/villages are tight fisted buggers and forget some of the signs on more minor roads entering the town/village! In which case best guess or common sense needs to be employed.

Most, if not all, roads also have a road/street name. This should always be included wherever possible.

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,
Dave2084 wrote:
xteejx wrote:Agreed, *except* where a boundary cannot be defined easily, or setting a whole segment will cause a creep, so basically high streets etc only imo.
If naming a segment will cause creep, I always split the segment.
Yep, adding a junction where the sign is or where it is obvious that the town/village has ended (that good old "best guess" or common sense approach). Breaks the segment and allows the correct naming to be completed. :)

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

This forum needs a thank you button! :)

Thank You!

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by Dave2084
richardjeeves wrote:I don't mind either way. At the moment I use the (County) suffix for my editing. I don't mind changing all mine over but, we need it enshrined in the wiki, so others follow (and soon). I am willing to go with the flow, but personally i'm not changing any thing until we have all agreed :) (or we get to use the state/ county box). Whichever is first!
+1
Dave2084
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
iPhone 12 Pro Max • iOS 15.x • Waze 4.x
Level 6 Editor • iOS Beta Leader • Waze Global Champ (Retired)

Post by Dave2084
xteejx wrote:Agreed, *except* where a boundary cannot be defined easily, or setting a whole segment will cause a creep, so basically high streets etc only imo.
If naming a segment will cause creep, I always split the segment.
Dave2084
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
iPhone 12 Pro Max • iOS 15.x • Waze 4.x
Level 6 Editor • iOS Beta Leader • Waze Global Champ (Retired)

Post by ditchi56
Timbones wrote:There are 929 towns in England
robin1979 wrote:If you deliver a file with all towns to Waze, Waze can import them, and lock the addition of new cities.
Not arguing against the proposal for removing the (county).

However, many of the entries in the "city" field in England are neither cities nor towns but villages. So restricting possible values of "city" using a predefined list of cities and towns would be a much bigger change. Using a predefined list of cities, towns and villages would be fine if someone could find such a list - or we could continue to allow editors freedom as now.

Incidentally, the use of "city" for village names is entirely consistent with usage in the homeland of Waze. In the US, "cities" frequently have less than 100 inhabitants.
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 5
Send a message

Post by ditchi56
Timbones wrote:Given the general support for this, I propose the following new wording for the Wiki (at the bottom):
> http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/How_ ... es_-_DRAFT
I would suggest that the largest place in the UK with any given name should have no suffix, then others would need a suffix to distinguish. Thus the Lancashire town should be simply "Preston" and the Dorset village "Preston (Dorset)".

Which I think is what you intend anyway, but it is as well to spell these things out to avoid ambiguity.

Now which Sutton is the biggest???
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 5
Send a message

Post by dknight212
I am content with the proposed change. I would prefer to go with a predefined list though that will open a new can of worms about which list to use.
dknight212
Send a message

Post by dknight212
I think we must keep villages in the mix.

David using Tapatalk
dknight212
Send a message