Coordinator: ottonomy & ARC: tonestertm | jemay
------------------------------------------------------------

Road naming convention for whole SW region?

Post by
I wonder if everyone in this region would agree to the shorter naming convention, US-xxx, SR-xxx, and CR-xxx for US highways, state highways or state routes, and then country roads?

It would be nice if neighboring states would do this so editing would be more consistent. I am not sure if there are local state issues that might detract from such a standard. I am going with this in NM. From my travels in the SW area, I would assume this could go through CA, AZ, NM, CO, NV, etc.

See this location in the Wiki. I don't think everyone has chimed in. Some states have strong feeling on a state-specific approach for various reasons. I don't see that from what I know in the SW. There used to be (and could still be) some basemap names in New Mexico like NM Highway XXX, but that is not the standard. Remember, shields is a different topic from this.

http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Road ... g_by_state

POSTER_ID:4612247

Send a message

Post by bgodette
TruckOttr wrote:
jemay wrote:Well, CA,NV,UT,AZ, and NM have the shorter standards adopted, but I don't remember anybody asking CO... And I can not forget HI, nobody has questioned for them.
I don't know of any local editors for CO. The CO forum has been empty. Doing a search on the forums there hasn't been any update requests, unlock requests or even messages referencing the Denver area or CO that I can find.

Looking at the map, it appears that bgodette(6) made a pass thru Denver in the summer of 2012. There's been no real editing since then except the occasional rogue Level 1.
Mostly because Denver has been "done" since spring 2012. Any edits inside the metro are keeping up with construction and parking lots. Boulder is also "done" inside its city limits. Longmont is mostly done except around its edges. Johnstown/Milliken is done.

Gunbarrel, Niwot, Lafayette, Louisville, Erie all need work. Estes Park and Lyons are only done in the areas surrounding the US highways. Loveland, Ft Collins, Greeley has mostly been worked on by the locals, but looks a mess. Castle Pines has a local, and looks mostly OK.

Everything south of Castle Pines basically needs a lot of work and the locals have been doing some bizarre work.

Grand Junction, Silt, Rifle, No Name, Delta, Hotchkiss, and Paonia were victims of vandalism and are basically 90-100% done and all segments locked at 5 and should remain locked at 5. Basically that means fix it if you're 5+ or PM jasonh300 or me.

Short names are a go, tho I wish Waze would make SH-XX say State Highway as we don't use State Route here. aubie1988 seems to be doing northern Colorado and eastern plains. troyv does maintenance over the same area I cover (Denver/Boulder/Longmont). Chris_CA seems to be in Colorado Springs. And of course tgfathergoose moved in somewhere near BAFB.

There's currently a mix between Functional and Simple (US=Major/SH=Minor). Functional is used outside of the mountains, with no numbered route dropping below Minor, and no un-numbered being promoted above Minor. Mountains/foothills are done with the simple Typing, however a large portion of US-285 should probably be upgraded to Freeway as it's been converted to ramped access to at least Bailey and likely on to Fairplay and Buena Vista.

Any paved CR out on the plains should likely be Primary. There should be zero Service Road typed segments. Anything you think should be typed that is either a Parking Lot, Street, or Primary. Pretend that type doesn't exist.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
Most of the mountain towns are a complete mess from basemap import in addition to the old auto-geometry that drive analysis used to do doing additional damage. Fortunately our DOT maps are reasonable good and very usable: http://dtdapps.coloradodot.info/otis

Don't use the map visible in Traffic Data as an information source as that's NavTeq's tiles. MapView is government GIS being displayed with ESRI's viewer so it valid source material. Windshield is CDOT produced as well and is a good source for all BGS imagery for any numbered route in Colorado.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
shawndoc wrote:From this point on, all roads are to be named Steve. No exceptions.
N/S is Your and E/W is Mom
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
FYI I have a mostly complete bookmarklet that does this conversion. Only thing left to do is conversion of fractions to decimal.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
Panther37 wrote:
irowiki wrote:Just so I'm sure, Co Rd 250 becomes CR-250?
If Co = County, then yes
If Co = Colorado, then no, it should be SR-250 (State Road)
SR is state route, CR is county road.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
Yes the direction should be updated since it was written prior to a lot of recent TTS updates. SR/SH/XX- usage should be specific to each state as to which to use.

Colorado happens to call them State Highways and the signs have SH-### if they don't have the shield graphics. I've also not heard anyone say "Colorado 128" so using CO-### doesn't make sense.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Chris_CA
I am updating central east & SE Colorado with SH-XX & CR-XX
Chris_CA
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Chris_CA
kentsmith9 wrote:
Chris_CA wrote:I am updating central east & SE Colorado with SH-XX & CR-XX
Chris_CA, your plan appears contrary to the current Wiki guidelines for CO of SR-XXX and CR-XXX. Do you have a typo?
Yes, it is a typo. Just seeing if you are awake! :oops:
SR-XXX & CR-XXX
Chris_CA
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Chris_CA
Now in the Waze app, I am hearing a bunch SH (State Highway) that used to be SR (State Route).
Has this been changed?

bgodette has gone through and changed a bunch (all?).

I prefer SH so the app calls out the directions according to the signs.

This page has not been updated...
-> Highway naming/USA - https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Highway_naming/USA
Chris_CA
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Daknife
I'm good with this, already I and a couple AM's have started working on renaming the US and state highways in Utah to this cleaner more compact standard. I personally am not going to worry about most CR's yet as almost all of those in Utah are dirt.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint