Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
1. Include the city and state in the "Subject:" line of your post
2. Include a Permalink to the segment(s) you wish to unlock or have updated
3. Provide a short explanation of why you need the unlock or update done.
4. Thank the user who solved the request and mark the thread Solved.

Please note that a higher level editor may choose to fix an unlock request themselves so higher value segments will remain protected at their level.

Forum rules
1. Include the city and FULL state name in the "Subject:" line of your post
2. Include a Permalink to the segment(s) you wish to unlock or have updated
3. Provide a short explanation of why you need the unlock or update done.
4. When completed, THANK the user who solved the request and mark the thread SOLVED.

Level5 Update: California - Oakland (I-980)

Post by DwarfLord
This UR filed in San Jose concerns what the driver considered bad instructions for the I-880/I-980/17th St area of Oakland.

The problem appears to be that drivers exiting I-880 on this ramp are told they must "stay to the left to I-980E". HOWEVER there is no need to stay to the left at the end of this ramp segment, since both lanes continue; one need only NOT take Exit 1A.

Normally, NOT taking an exit does not warrant a voice instruction. So the driver (quite reasonably, in my view) interpreted "stay to the left" as "do not remain in the right lane" and got over to the left lane, though there was no reason to do so.

335 m later the driver encountered the instruction to "exit right" and had to return to the right lane to comply, since he or she had previously been directed to the left lane.

I recommend moving this ramp from the fork at the end of the offramp from I-880 and placing it a bit later, so it exits from I-980 rather than being one of two choices at the end of the offramp. This will remove the unnecessary instruction to stay left to I-980.

This is the result of a UR (and some interpretation). I am Rank 4 but do not have the editable area to do this even if the locks were lowered, so I recommend the responding editor resolve it directly.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

POSTER_ID:16850907

Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
Thanks! Can you help me understand a bit better -- near as I can tell, in a logical sense, that actually is the solution I proposed. That is, the I-880 offramp "ramp" type becomes I-980 E "freeway" type first, and only after that does the Exit 1A "ramp" type depart from it.

But, your construction places the transition of the I-880 offramp "ramp" type to the I-980 E "freeway" type after only 17 m of ramp. In other words the offramp from I-880 to I-980 is only 17 m long, and Waze considers I-980 to start even before the exit-only lane striping turns solid.

My naive reaction is that this seems pretty early, at least, most of the ramp segments I see are longer than that, but I'm not heavily practiced at freeways. Can you explain the thinking behind making the offramp segment so (relatively) short?
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by sketch
Better solution, and more in line with the guidance for freeway splits. Check it out. :)
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
Really, the only thing functionally that I did differently from your proposal was that I retained the segments and nodes and at the same places, thereby retaining their speed/time data.

Other than that, it's pretty much aesthetic. The Interchanges wiki guide shows this construction for certain freeway splits (I think). The other side of it was already set up this way, so I followed suit. It allows for a continuous look where a freeway is a natural extension from another one – for example, when a bypass route clearly envisions most of its traffic in a particular direction, or where a numerical designation veers off from a continuous freeway (usually a historical name). There are examples of both near each other in New Orleans, first at both I-10/610 interchanges (especially the western one) and the interchange between I-10 and US-90 BUS (the straight, SSE-ward path is the continuation of the Pontchartrain Expwy whereas I-10 veers in a more ENE-ward direction).
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!