Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Too many incident reports

Post by
I am new to Waze, but so far, I am loving it. One thing that I have noticed, is that I get many incident reports that are very far away (many miles away), and not even on my route.

Is there a way to limit event notifications only to those on the route?

Rob

POSTER_ID:8069441

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Waze is supposed to be working on that. Perhaps for the next version... maybe not. We won't know until the beta is released. They are working on v3.5 now, feature set or changes not released yet.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
The only workaround for now is to turn off "download traffic info." This does have other side effects, but that's kinda the definition of a workaround...
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
xxlogistics wrote:I asked to Waze about this directly, why I have an alert from 36km from city what I left about half an hour ago while alerts are set by 5km, and they answered that this is by design, so we can just sit and hope that some day it will be redesigned in more reasonable way...
Is the notification from 36km away within 5km of your route? If so, that is by design that the alert radius applies to your route.

Also, if you have popups for groups turned on in Settings, you will get those regardless of distance. Again, by design.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
OldGnome wrote:You haven't seen the Dunkin Donuts locations in Waze?
And those are just the latest. The first ones started last December. 2011.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Bigbear3764
You can reduce the radius down to 5 miles in your settings. That is what I like to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by Bschorr
I agree - would be great to limit the alerts to just your intended route or to a narrower radius.
Bschorr
Send a message

Post by CuppaTea4Me
I would like to also advocate for route only info. I live in the LA metro region with a 25 mile commute. I will get 50-100 alerts in a half hour, mostly on roads that are not near me and that I have no intention of driving on. I have set the radius as low as possible but I still get tons of alerts, some days I don't use waze just so I can listen to talk radio.
CuppaTea4Me
Send a message

Post by Darthreflon
Even set at 5 miles I get reports that sometimes ten miles plus away that aren't even on my route.
Darthreflon
Send a message

Post by Darthreflon
gettingthere wrote:It is believed that the radius limit is x miles from anywhere on your route. So in reality you will see events more than x miles from your current location.

There are lots of requests to filter to only on route. Waze has stated that they will add this filter in the future...
If that's the case then they need to specify that and explain that to everyone. I've noticed that a lot of things people put on here aren't that well explained our they are at all. A lot of the stuff in the wiki is either wrong or missing info. I've tried to info there without any luck. I know waze is free and understand that and they are working to make it better but at the same time they need to get some things fixed like the wiki so new and even seasoned wazers can find answers to a lot easier and that maybe a lot of people wouldn't be posting so many things on here. All they gotta do is when they work on a feature is either during or when it's finished is to write up a manual for the wiki on that particular feature then post it. I don't think it's that hard. That way they will never forget to put something in the wiki.
Darthreflon
Send a message

Post by deftdrummer
I gotta say I too am annoyed at this. There are a few things I just wish to God Waze would fix.

For example turning off event radii would be fantastic. The second pet peeve of mine is the "OK / Passenger" warning when you attempt to type while driving.

The Waze developers should know by now that most of us have the ability of Voice to Text, and in all reality having a message pop up like that actually makes my drive less safe not more.
deftdrummer
Send a message