Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Un-dividing divided roads

Post by
Now that single roads have the option for a U-Turn at junctions, would it make sense in some cases to un-divide roads, at least at intersections? The goal is to eliminate erroneous "roads are too far apart" problems caused by U-turns too far away from the street junction.

POSTER_ID:3268737

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Be sure to not delete any main street segments as addresses will be removed!

Take both sides, change to 2-way, disconnect from opposite ends of a section, then junction together in the middle.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Borgholio wrote:Not sure what you mean...leave the road divided but change to two-way?
No. :)

Example:

http://imageshack.us/a/img19/2448/undividestep1.jpg

Step 1: Turn both sides to 2-way
http://imageshack.us/a/img198/5207/undividestep2.jpg

Step 2: Disconnect both segments from one side of the section being undivided
http://imageshack.us/a/img10/9525/undividestep3.jpg

Step 3: Bring the two disconnected ends together in the middle (and relalign roads as needed)
http://imageshack.us/a/img405/4787/undividestep4.jpg
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I made a little video of this process. Watch it in fullscreen or at least 720p to see details. No cursor capture was working, sorry.

AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I have also verified that this process works even when the two sides of the split road have different names.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
ncc1701v wrote:I think it would be better to pull away the side roads, remove center connectors, remove junctions and geometry nodes in the two roadways to make very long segments, and then do the merge and reconnect the side roads. First I suspect that would be faster, and second the resulting road would be smoother. No?
Aw, man. Stop it. I'm about to sob with happiness reading such things! :cry: :lol:

That's the exact way to get perfectly straight streets! (No mucking with the junction after of course.)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
bgodette wrote:Uh it has a potentially bad, or good depending on your objectives, side effect; it averages all the time-slot speeds of all those segments together.
That is one potential downside. Depending on the segments, this may be negligible.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
An editor who came and saw two divided roads meeting each other in which a previous editor added every single right and left turn lane might have made a good call to dramatically simplify, IMO.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by bgodette
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
ncc1701v wrote:I think it would be better to pull away the side roads, remove center connectors, remove junctions and geometry nodes in the two roadways to make very long segments, and then do the merge and reconnect the side roads. First I suspect that would be faster, and second the resulting road would be smoother. No?
Aw, man. Stop it. I'm about to sob with happiness reading such things! :cry: :lol:

That's the exact way to get perfectly straight streets! (No mucking with the junction after of course.)
Uh it has a potentially bad, or good depending on your objectives, side effect; it averages all the time-slot speeds of all those segments together.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I made a little video of this process. Watch it in fullscreen or at least 720p to see details. No cursor capture was working, sorry.

bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
bgodette wrote:Uh it has a potentially bad, or good depending on your objectives, side effect; it averages all the time-slot speeds of all those segments together.
That is one potential downside. Depending on the segments, this may be negligible.
It also, no matter what you do, destroys all accumulated turn timing as well simply because the segment IDs of the newly merged segment will be different. Fortunately that information gets built back up rather quickly.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message