The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by harling
I still think we're setting ourselves up for a huge headache by approaching this in terms of where U-turns are legal (or not prohibited), vs. where they are specifically recommended/provided for routing purposes. We should try to keep this simple--which in this case means not having to enable U-turns on two-way roads throughout a state simply because it isn't a moving violation in that jurisdiction.

I'll leave it at that.
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by harling
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
harling wrote:I still think we're setting ourselves up for a huge headache by approaching this in terms of where U-turns are legal (or not prohibited), vs. where they are specifically recommended/provided for routing purposes.
I agree. In my neck-o-the-woods, I'm only enabling them in places where they are necessary due to things like parking lot entrances only available from one side of the road due to barrier/signage, so the next best option (and recommended) is to go ahead one block and u-turn. I'm not enabling them on every 2-way neighborhood street where it is legal, because there's simply no reason to do so.

The wiki should definitely have this kind of guidance.
To me, it is so obvious as to be beyond debate--but as far as I know, it is still an open question. Until it has been settled, I have given up arguing for it. It's just too frustrating that some people still don't get that recalculating, or handling dead-ends, are mere distractions from the real purpose of this feature; i.e., to address those places on the map where correct navigation is impossible otherwise. That is where our focus should be.
harling
Send a message

Post by harling
It has been my contention that the primary motivation for creating this U-turn capability is not for the beginning or end of the route, but mid-route. For example:

You're northbound on Hammond Pond Pkwy, and need to get on Route 9 (Boylston St) westbound. Without this U-turn feature, you have to split the road just to add this U-turn segment for proper routing.

Near the beginning or end of a route, being directed to go around the block rather than making a U-turn probably isn't much of an inconvenience. Mid-route, as in the example above, becomes a huge detour.
harling
Send a message

Post by harling
CBenson wrote:
harling wrote:Mid-route, as in the example above, becomes a huge detour.
My problem is that I have very little confidence that enabling a U-turn on a unsplit road is going to solve this kind of routing issue anytime in the next year or so.
Right: which is why the road in that example is (still) split. But once this new U-turn feature is released, that is the first place I am going to use it.
harling
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Alan, for some reason I was under the impression the U-Turn functionality was not going to be active in the navigation engine immediately. I thought there was going to be time to allow editors to update maps now that they have the controls to change it and the routing was coming sometime in the future.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:Alan, for some reason I was under the impression the U-Turn functionality was not going to be active in the navigation engine immediately. I thought there was going to be time to allow editors to update maps now that they have the controls to change it and the routing was coming sometime in the future.
The engine does use the "uturn" junction at the end of dead ends already and has for a long time.
I assume that implies the uturn is not used on other segments yet.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Should we create a table in the Wiki for the US (and other countries) with a breakdown of each state and the law for u-turns?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I propose we comment on the following outline for the Wiki:
Proposed Wiki on U-Turns wrote: 1. The primary purpose for U-Turns is to enable routing where navigation is otherwise not possible to reach the destination; often at the beginning or end of a route.

2. Many locations have different laws on U-Turns with some locations allowing them unless marked as restricted and others restricting them unless marked as allowed; see the table (linking to a separate page) for a quick reference for your state or country.

3. Consider only enabling the U-Turn where it solves a UR or MP.

4. How to set U-Turns through the new UI

5. Dead-end streets...

The page name will be "U-turns" and we will add redirects to this page for:
* U-Turn
* U-turn
* Uturn
* u-turn
* uturn
* U-Turns
* Uturns
* u-turns
* uturns
* U-Turn restriction
* U-turn restriction
* Uturn restriction
* u-turn restriction
* uturn restriction
* U-Turn restrictions
* U-turn restrictions
* Uturn restrictions
* u-turn restrictions
* uturn restrictions
I'm not clear what we said on dead-end streets. Do we need to set it, or will the routing engine turn you around no matter what? For example you turn down a dead-end street by mistake, won't the routing engine turn you around because the "penalty" for the disabled U-Turn is overridden with no other route possible?

I am pretty sure that unless we add all those redirects, any of these entries will unlikely find the page we list.

Anything else we want to add? Comments on what I have for the outline are welcomed.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by linus71
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
twist3r wrote:So on dead-end streets is it better to leave the U-turn soft restricted as it is default now or to turn it on ? Which of the two performs better in terms of routing from a dead-end street ?
Some of us are doing some tests to see if there's a difference in routing with un/locked u-turn at the dead end.
in Italy, someone has already done some experiments.
The problem is (just as I feared) that Waze uses a dead end street as a shortcut to some routes
I think it's better to set off the U-Turn
linus71
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Machete808
I'm hoping this will suppress routing down cul-de-sacs and back. I'm not entirely clear on how to make the best use of this addition, although I think it would be useful to have on some primary streets where U-turns are allowed.
Machete808
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/on9 ... i.png?dl=0https://www.dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s ... x.png?dl=0
U.S. Local Champ
Hawaii State Manager
California State Manager
Country manager, U.S.
Welcome, new editors:
Here's a good place to start!