Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Default road is one way

Post by Geriaan
Hi. How do I permanently change the editor to draw two way roads instead of one way roads whenever I draw new roads. I have to chang every single road I draw from one way to two way.

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I couldn't find anything on the forum after a brief search.
Geriaan

POSTER_ID:6667557

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Mike-1323 wrote:Unless you've just selected a road type in the dropdown box then pressing "r" will cycle you through all the road types that start with "r": "Ramp", "Runway/Taxiway", and "Railroad"
It will only do that if the focus is on the Type control. Proper road drawing order is 1) i, 2) click, click draw the road, shift+click to end, 3) select the segment, 4) rr to set to 2-way, 5) e to open edit details, 6) update details, 7) click Apply, 8) update turn restrictions, 9) save
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Mike-1323 wrote:And that's what I said. If Type control is the target (type was just selected) then pressing r will cycle types. Maybe you have a set procedure that you follow every time you draw a new segment. I don't. So the shortcut of using r to change segment direction sometimes causes the type to change for me. I think that others should be aware of this behavior and that just telling somebody to press r to change direction has the potential to cause erroneous road types to be selected.
Well, yeah, what you've written is pretty obvious. Any time a control (text box or drop down) has focus, any keypress will act on that control and nowhere else. Can't get around that. I'm unclear why this is unclear. :?

Would it be easier if roads drew 2-way by default? Sure. Is it likely to happen soon? No. We've requested it since WME was in alpha.

So, with that info, the numbered steps I wrote work great. As soon as you select a segment, 'r' will change direction, including newly drawn roads.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by Bigbear3764
You can't change it. Defaults to one way from where you start to end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I will add something in the Wiki on this topic and link to the shortcut.

Do we get any other questions on defaults?
* Maybe state name or country name?
* Road type
I guess we can cover all the create road settings and note none of them can be changed.

Then is there any default setting that CAN be changed?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Mike-1323
sketch wrote:I highly recommend utilizing the "R" keyboard shortcut. Two quick presses on a new segment will make it two-way.
Unless you've just selected a road type in the dropdown box then pressing "r" will cycle you through all the road types that start with "r": "Ramp", "Runway/Taxiway", and "Railroad"
Mike-1323
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

[img]https:///L6ziL[/img] [img]https:///0NAfp[/img]

Required reading: Quick Start Guide, Best Practices, USA Road Types

Post by Mike-1323
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
Mike-1323 wrote:Unless you've just selected a road type in the dropdown box then pressing "r" will cycle you through all the road types that start with "r": "Ramp", "Runway/Taxiway", and "Railroad"
It will only do that if the focus is on the Type control. Proper road drawing order is 1) i, 2) click, click draw the road, shift+click to end, 3) select the segment, 4) rr to set to 2-way, 5) e to open edit details, 6) update details, 7) click Apply, 8) update turn restrictions, 9) save
???) set road type

And that's what I said. If Type control is the target (type was just selected) then pressing r will cycle types. Maybe you have a set procedure that you follow every time you draw a new segment. I don't. So the shortcut of using r to change segment direction sometimes causes the type to change for me. I think that others should be aware of this behavior and that just telling somebody to press r to change direction has the potential to cause erroneous road types to be selected.
Mike-1323
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

[img]https:///L6ziL[/img] [img]https:///0NAfp[/img]

Required reading: Quick Start Guide, Best Practices, USA Road Types

Post by sketch
I highly recommend utilizing the "R" keyboard shortcut. Two quick presses on a new segment will make it two-way.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: So, with that info, the numbered steps I wrote work great. As soon as you select a segment, 'r' will change direction, including newly drawn roads.
Right. Do it a few times and it becomes second nature. Select a segment fresh and hit R immediately. Easy.

On the off chance that you do mistakenly press R a couple times when the road type selector is in focus, it's easy to fix, anyway.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
It would be nice if the default state and sometimes country settings were fixed when multiple new segments are selected...
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message