Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Off ramps back on to on ramps

Post by
Is there a best-practice-policy/reason why 'turning' is not normally set to go from an off-ramp directly back onto an on ramp (assuming it is allowable)? I could see it being confusing if someone accidentally get's off the freeway and then waze has them do some convoluted set of turns to get back on, instead of going straight...as an example:

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&lat ... ts=5672508

I was able to find one other case where it came up on the Forum, and the AM that dealt with it set the restrictions the same way (no direct off back to on).

POSTER_ID:16269787

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
It may not be illegal everywhere (almost positive on that), but it is generally frowned upon. What it does is to possibly unduly affect the traffic on the over/underpass crossing roadway by keeping traffic lights allowing that off-ramp traffic longer than if only cars going onto the over/underpass rather than cars traipsing across the intersection.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
When it's below speed and bumper to bumper, it will cause a shorter (distance) backup if you keep the parallel lanes as long as possible and merge where the dashed lines between lanes end, which is where the lanes actually merge and where you should too. Otherwise, you get exactly what @Riamus just posted with people getting made other people are trying to use the whole lane (which makes intellectual sense to me), and that ends up making a much longer backup, possibly impeding traffic and other intersections.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AndyPoms
Mrrlyn wrote:I figured that...and is that such a bad thing :)? I guess not. Oh well...
In most places it is illegal to route that way to avoid traffic...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
Mrrlyn wrote:Illegal to route that way or illegal to do it? I'm just curious at this point. I don't do it personally, but I didn't know that was illegal. Good to know!
Illegal to do it.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by CBenson
TruckOttr wrote:In California, it's illegal and here is the relevant CVC.

21461. (a) It is unlawful for a driver of a vehicle to fail to obey a sign or signal defined as regulatory in the federal Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, or a Department of Transportation approved supplement to that manual of a regulatory nature erected or maintained to enhance traffic safety and operations or to indicate and carry out the provisions of this code or a local traffic ordinance or resolution adopted pursuant to a local traffic ordinance, or to fail to obey a device erected or maintained by lawful authority of a public body or official.

It's an exit. If you aren't using it as an EXIT to EXIT the freeway, then you're not obeying the sign. I've used it before and it's been upheld every time someone's challenged me on it. :lol:

It's what I usually call a shooting fish in the barrel citation.
That would require a an actual sign or signal as defined as regulatory in the MUTCD, something that isn't at every exit.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
I agree with Riamus. The Minnesota page is based on the assumption that there will be a back up. If there is a backup, then there is no reason not use both lanes until the merge is required. However, if traffic can maintain speed then it is better to merge early.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by erablian
Mike-1323 wrote:I know it is illegal (around here) to use parking lots that way. A friend got a citation for going through a gas station to make a right turn at an intersection with a poorly timed light and no dedicated right turn lane. I think the legal term was traffic avoidance or something like that. I was a nuisance fine, but the taxes and added fees made it expensive. I think that the ramp to ramp traffic bypass falls into the same category.
I can understand why cutting through a gas station is illegal – that’s private property and trespassing if the owner does not want you doing that. But I don't get why ramp-to-ramp driving would be illegal. If it gets a vehicle where it’s going faster, that’s good for everybody: one less vehicle in traffic. And if too many people start taking the shortcut, traffic builds up on it and it quickly stops being a time-saver, but it does not make traffic worse overall.
erablian
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message
[img]https:///b4c5Sh[/img][img]https:///ubk1Zx[/img]

Post by HandofMadness
Because Waze will route people off the freeway and then immediately back on to avoid traffic.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by harling
On a related note: http://trafficwaves.org/seatraf.html Interesting web site in general for people who do a lot of thinking about driving (especially while driving).
ncc1701v wrote:Finally, in Boston you should merge suddenly and alarmingly at the point where it makes the most room for you to do your next lane change.
Turn signals forbidden.
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by jondrush
It may be a little faster for you, but it actually worsens a traffic slowdown at the entrance ramp. Once a certain traffic density is reached, cars entering the highway cause additional slowdowns beyond that if everyone stayed in line.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message