Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

[Support] Routing through a service road

Post by rlpl
I have noticed that waze does not route through a service road. This also includes that it can't find a route if the service road is at the end or at the beginning of my route. This has happened since a month or two now, before waze routed correctly. Is this a bug or a new feature? If a feature then does it mean we should not use the Service Road type for the roads which should be drivable? In my country we use this type for the roads inside the housing estates, by the gas stations, shopping centers, drive-through fast food restaurants etc.
rlpl

POSTER_ID:931386

Send a message
My previous login name was rl_pl.

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
rahulmaindargi wrote:Parking road also shows up on client but never get driving direction up to it.
Parking lot roads currently have a pretty high penalty for traversing. If Waze thinks it can get you to the right place without going through a parking lot road, it will do it. It will even do this by using restricted turn.

See a related thread, [SUPPORT] Waze routes through a turn explicitly not allowed.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by hallmike
Can you post a permalink to the area?
hallmike
Send a message
https://photos.imageevent.com/hallmike/ ... llmike.jpg ...when you care enough to Waze the very best

Post by rahulmaindargi
Parking road also shows up on client but never get driving direction up to it.
rahulmaindargi
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by rahulmaindargi
Hi Here is the peramlink
Map Link

The POI "Shree Krupa Shrusti Apartment" has some roads to Parking lots. those are only for vehicles that needed to be parked (so marked as parking Lot Raod).

but Waze force user to travel till "Jambhulwadi path" Only, not on Parking road.

Please note House numbers will be on Parking lot road.

If destination is on/near Parking lot, waze will timeout the Routing or will giude till "Jambhulwadi Path".
rahulmaindargi
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by rlpl
In my case waze not only tries to avoid routing through a service road but if the only road is through (from, to) the service road then it tells it cannot find a route. So either the penalty is infinite or that routing is disabled totally. Recently waze team announced that the routing will be disabled if the road crosses the parking place but (1) they meant the landmark of type Parking lot and (2) they announced it for US server only. They did not tell anything about routing through the roads of type Parking lot or Service road in the world server. What Timbones says is exactly same problem. This is definitely a bug because waze cannot navigate directly to our places and businesses, it stops at the nearest main road which is often really close but not the place where we can stop the car.
rlpl
Send a message

Post by rlpl
I confirm that it really works. Now my way to work with waze is much more comfortable. ;-)
rlpl
Send a message

Post by Timbones
I've noticed this too: a little service road near my house is always the way I go out to work, yet Waze stopped navigating me that way about a month or two ago.

I have a similar problem with the private/service road where my office is. Waze can't find a route home for me, until I've driven out on to the main road.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries

Post by Timbones
Well, here's the bit near me: Permalink. There are three service roads that provide shortcuts from one road to another. These are genuinely service roads, as they have no street names or properties, and are only wide enough for 1 car.

To give you an example, I might want to drive from North Lane down to South Lane. The route I would naturally take are the two service roads that go down the middle, and this is the route that Waze used to show:
route2.png
(24.29 KiB) Downloaded 961 times
However, the Waze client doesn't want me to go down the service roads any more, though it was happy to do so a couple months ago. Something was definitely changed to the routing algorithm...
route1.png
(26.21 KiB) Downloaded 959 times
(ignore the fact that the bottom service road doesn't have an average speed - this is just an example)
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by Timbones
An update was recently posted on status.waze.com:
Waze wrote:We recently heard from world.waze users about problematic routes while navigating through Service roads and Parking lots road types. Apparently, there was indeed a technical problem related to these two road types.

As to Service roads - we fixed the problem and it should be working correctly within 48 hours approximately.
Parking lots however are partially fixed and we will inform you as soon as it's completely fixed.

Thank you all for letting us know about this problem, your examples and descriptions were very helpful for us to figure it out!
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message