I have been having issues with Drive To: and entering a POI name where I expect Google Search results also. Many times I enter a POI name that I know for sure exists with Google, and in fact I had found previously. Sometimes entering the exact same thing a second time finds a result, sometimes not. It is very hit or miss and unreliable.
Since Waze has basically zero POI's in the map info and street addresses in the map data are not so great, we really need the Google search to function properly to be able to route to POI's. Since Google returns that actual GPS coordinates, it usually works out much better than if you have the actual street address.
This seems to be an issue with the way that Waze is querying the info from Google. Not sure if the Waze application can query Google directly or whether the search is being proxied though the Waze servers.
Sometimes I can find the POI if I enter additional information with the POI business name such as the street name. In any case I have used the same Google search functionality in both the Tom Tome and Navigon iphone applications. It works as expected there. Results every time.
One example that fails. I type:
Finds nothing. There are 7-Elevens all over the place. But if I type '7 Eleven' withouth the -, it finds them.
Another example - I search for 'Black Angus' multiple times today, finds nothing. This restraurant is less than 3 miles from the place where I am searching for it. I look in my recent destinations and the result is there from the same search last week. Google result. And yes, I do have an active connection to the Waze server when I am searching.
iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4, Waze 3.6