[Page update] Places for WME+App v3.9

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
App v3.9 release is imminent with the latest release being considered RC. (Waze is going to fix some critical bugs before posting to app stores.) Waze has often released the app on Fridays. I do not know if it will be this week or next. However, since it is very soon, I feel comfortable enough discussing here, as the forum is visited by an extremely small percentage of Waze users. If you do read this, do not discuss it elsewhere. We are here to determine what to do about documentation and guidance to provide to end users/editors.

The short-list of updates: Places have new fields/data available. Places can be added and updated from the app. App users who are not yet "trusted," have their Place updates put into a "moderation" queue in WME.

WME has the new layer, new map icon for Place updates (which does not reliably display at this time), and a new WME "workflow" to approve Place adds/updates.

The App has a new Report icon, as well as a new UI for approaching destination, prompting users to take a photo of the Place and add/update details.

Should we be addressing only WME in the current page? I'm thinking there will just be some screenshots and basic guidance. It's not rocket science, right?

Let's discuss.

UPDATE: Not sure if this is the right way to do this these days, but I've dropped a draft with some changes here: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/User:AlanOfTheBerg/Places2
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:701618

Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Fredo-p wrote:As with many other releases in the past, are there some bugs that have occurred in the beta they you or anyone else feel may get passed that we can expect?
I don't think this is the place (pun intended) to discuss issues with the app, but yet, there are unresolved bugs, odd behavior, and many users are going to hate the new prompt asking them to take a picture of their destination. (includes residential)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Fredo-p wrote:Are there going to be points associated with both submitting places pictures/info and editing/approving them? If so/ how many points?
Points for adding or updating a Place from the app can be as high as 24 points (single picture+all details) according to what the app shows. (This may change.) Changes in the editor appear to be lower, though Ohad has stated they should be the same.
Fredo-p wrote:...what is in place to prevent someone to submit like crazy just for the points? What is also in place if an editor is caught sub,sitting and approving to boost their points/edits?
Points are not granted to untrusted users for their Place adds/edits until approved in the editor by a L2+ editor.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I took the existing and started making changes here: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/User:AlanOfTheBerg/Places2
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Fredo-p wrote:If possible, could you make the changes in a different font color to show what was changed?
I'll try.
Fredo-p wrote:Also, is it possible to use screenshots of the new user submitted places via the beta or will it look different on the public version?
Yes, I'm slowly working on that. The page is slowly evolving.

You can also check the upload log in the wiki for the images I've uploaded.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I'm pretty much done. I think. Beta editors, what is missing or unclear? Please make the changes directly.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sketch wrote:I cleaned up the headings and added some info on naming of combination Places (i.e., points within areas).
Most of what I've added is new pictures and clarification and some facts. What I think is most of interest and perhaps I'd like to get more than just a single person reviewing, is the "Accept or Reject" section. Does what I've written make sense? is there any other guidance which is needed with the new Place updates process which is missing?

I've locked the Places (New) thread and suggest that for now we keep update discussion here. Are there other changes to Area/Point type guidance we want to change?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
MGODLEW wrote:I think we need a section "Determining Acceptable Photos" to give editors some guidelines for what is an acceptable photo for a place.
Yes, good idea! Please go ahead and add something if I don't get to it soon. The app reads thusly when taking a picture "Show the exterior of this place, so Wazers can easily spot it when they arrive."
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
We really just need some more granular Categories. Medical/Dental *office* would be great. Urgent Medical Care separate from Hospital and Emergency would be great. There are lots of ones which would be very helpful and useful.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
But until we have those other categories, office-based non-urgent medical I agree should be Office with "Hospital/Medical care" as secondary category. But to get to a better solution we need to get Waze to spend some time talking to us and listening to us.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message