Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

[Script] Livemap Navigation Browser Addon [Deprecated]

Post by
I've made an addon script for Firefox* and Chrome^ that displays the navigation list for a route in the Livemap.
Once installed, you simply search for directions as normal, and the instructions will appear on the left-hand side.
It was primarily created for editors to debug routes, but it can be useful to drivers too.

Features:
  • displays each turn and road name
  • click on an instruction to see it on the map
  • total distance and time travelled shown in popup
  • additional 'continue on' messages when the road name changes (not shown on client)
  • roundabout instructions for '0th exit' are highlighted in red
  • link in popup to edit segment in editor (new in v0.5)
  • link to calculate the reverse route (new in v0.5)
  • Update Map opens in same location (new in v0.6)
  • Adds images for each turn instruction (new in v0.72)
  • Shows links in popup for next and previous instructions (new in v0.72)
Thanks to my two beta testers for helping with early versions.
If you spot any bugs, or have any ideas on how to improve it, please let me know.

Edit: No longer supported since new Livemap was released October 6th, 2013. Get the WME Route Tester instead.

See the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page for other great addons.

POSTER_ID:1445148

Send a message
Last edited by Timbones on Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
The LiveMap is well-known for giving different instructions than the client, so I'm not understanding why this is being called out because of this script now. The script doesn't do anything different than access the routing given to the livemap and doesn't make a special call to the routing server.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Tim, after using the Close button, then doing another navigation, the side panel disappeared for me, sliding the whole map to the left. No navigation information and no standard waze scrolling info either. The map was a little confused then with mouse click location.

This is repeatable. Chrome on Win.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
leo_lau wrote:Is it possible to select alternative route?
There is no functionality this extension adds to the LiveMap. If the routing server returns multiple routes, the LiveMap will show them and this extension will also show the instructions for multiple routes.

For example: http://www.waze.com/livemap/?zoom=13&la ... g=10232581
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
leo_lau wrote:
Timbones wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:If the routing server returns multiple routes, the LiveMap will show them and this extension will also show the instructions for multiple routes.
Waze has a self-imposed limit of 2 routes that it will show. I haven't tried to influence it, but it could theoretically be persuaded to return more than 2 routes. Maybe.
There are max. 3 routes on client. Can we add intermediate point as Google map?
Unless someone builds a new livemap which accept 3 routes, this won't happen. The code isn't making special calls to the routing server but just using the client-side data already present when the data comes back from the call done by the livemap code itself. It seems you still think that the extension code is doing something special in interacting with the routing servers. It isn't. It's just using data already present in the data in your browser when the livemap requests a route. I don't think it would be a trivial matter to override the functionality of the livemap code itself to get 3 routes back and then somehow get the livemap to display 3 routes.

Intermediate route points I think would also be a huge coding undertaking. The routing server doesn't have this capability already, so this would have to be coded 100% on the client, making multiple calls to the routing server for A->B routed, then B->C route.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
TonyG-UK wrote:Does the navigation data returned for the route contain speed camera information?
I don't have any speed cameras in my area, so I checked Red Light cams, which should be treated the same. I did not see any evidence of these in the XML or JSON version of the route.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
The filename must end in "user.js" for Chrome to accept it.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
jasonh300 wrote:Right, and if you save another version of the file, Chrome download sees the extension as .js instead of .user.js and makes it .user(1).js.
Yes. I just wanted to make sure it was clear what the filename should end with in case itwasn't clear. It's a bit picky of Chrome, IMO.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Caradellino wrote:Would it be possible to apply a similar tool in the editor?
This is something which has been brought up in other threads. In short, unless the functionality is provided by Waze, we cannot build this on top of the editor map, at least not without a LOT of coding work. And even then, only roads selectable in the current view would work.

The code from this tool only uses the information which comes from the routing servers. The routing servers do not use the edit map to make routes. There is no similar functionality on the edit map.

Waze has told us before that they have this on a long-term roadmap. I would not expect anything official for many months, maybe a year or more.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message