Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Forum rules
The place to ask for help when editing in the UK.

Map Editing Guidelines . Join the UK Discord Server

Should we build railway there? [essex]

Post by Yeramihi
Gents,

what are you thoughts on this one:
https://world.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&l ... TTTTTTTTFT

I fear that if we would build a railway there next user on the train with waze open will make it 'driveable' and waze will eventually open it for traffic :/

What do you think?
Yeramihi

POSTER_ID:1056738

Send a message
United Kingdom Editing Guidelines
[img]https:///AvrXT[/img][img]https:///p9mgM[/img]

Post by Andidy
yeramihi wrote: I fear that if we would build a railway there next user on the train with waze open will make it 'driveable' and waze will eventually open it for traffic :/
I believe that if you set it as a railroad and ensure it doesn't junction with any other roads waze can't direct traffic on to it. If it were to junction a road even being not driveable and turn restricted waze might still direct down it in some circumstances. With no junctions, there are no points at which it can. Also on this thread it is suggested to be set to level -5 so that it never overlays useful roads on the client map.
Andidy
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Kuhlkatz
mrgrumpy wrote: I don't understand why we have a road type, but it doesn't show up. But stairways do? :twisted:
Perhaps this follows the action movie trend ? There are more high speed pursuit scenes involving narrow streets, walkways and stairways than on railroads.
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
[img]https:///DwNb3R[/img]
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing

Post by leocylau
I personally will add them but set them as 'railroad'. Waze will not make it drivable as it will not be shown on the client anyway.
leocylau
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 3
Send a message
UK WikiUK Forum

'For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.' 1 Cor. 10:33b

GC•Newcastle upon Tyne AM•HK CM•Localisation Coordinator

Post by maantje76
Why you would add them if you don't want to see them in the client?
maantje76
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by maantje76
You exactly hit the nail on his head (is that English)...

As I suggested some time ago, add the railroads as walking trails :-)

Give them the name 'Railway', without a cityname, level -5, direction unknown, and lock them.

They apear on the map, and they have the function to protect the map for wazers using waze onboard of the train (we can't forbid them :-( )

If Waze will ever make railroads visable again (I doubt), you can easily change all walking trails segments with the name 'Railway' to railroad in the DB directly...

If you add them as railroad both points aren't covered. As we know they don't apear, and you aren't locked to railroad...

I added the railroad between Folkstone and Dover some time ago as an example, so you can have a look...
maantje76
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by maantje76
Well, don't look to much to the names of roadtypes. If you look at a major highway...in europe there are lots of places they are crossing a school as an example..

In the past Waze did make railroad visable but this caused a lot of problems, so they desided to disable it again...

About the landmark workaround (street 2 railroad script). This is only a workaround to make them visable (and not very clear). You can't lock to a landmark ;)

And aren't we always use workarounds to get everything work as we want with Waze? ;)

In The Netherlands almost every railroad is added like this now. Works pretty fine..
maantje76
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message