Trunk Roads of Northern Ireland
This page is for tracking the progress of adding the trunk road network to Northern Ireland. There is no base map, so all roads will need to be paved or drawn by hand. The aerial photographs are poor in many parts of the country, but improving.
When a road has been completed, append "- done" its entry in the appropriate list below.
- M1 - Belfast to Dungannon - Done (although 1 bit seems to be locked)
- M2 and M22 - Belfast to Randalstown
- M2 Ballymena - Ballymena Bypass
- M3 - Cross Harbour Link, Belfast - Done
- M12 - M1 to Craigavon - Done
- M5 - M2 to Hazelbank - Done
- A8(M) - M2 to Corr's Corner - Done
The following list was compiled in 2002, and so may not be up to date (source).
There is also this network map that shows all of the trunk road.
Note: As per UK Editing Guidelines, trunk roads should have the type of Major Highway, and all other A-Roads should be Minor Highway, and B-Roads should be Primary Streets.
- A1 - Belfast-Lisburn-Banbridge-Newry-border
- A1/A3/A4/A5 - Belfast-Lisburn-Portadown-Ballygawley-Omagh-Derry
- A2 - Belfast-Holywood-Bangor - Done
- A2 - Greencastle-Carrickfergus, apparently incorporating the M5! - Done
- A24/A2 - Belfast-Carryduff-Newcastle - Done
- A3 - Portadown-Armagh - Done
- A5/A4 - border (south of Ballygawley)-Ballygawley-Enniskillen- border (Belcoo)
- A6 - Castledawson-Dungiven-Derry - Done
- A6/A26/A37/A2 - Belfast-Antrim-Coleraine-Derry
- A26/A6/A31/A29 - Moira (A3)-Antrim-Castledawson-Cookstown
- A7 - Carryduff-Downpatrick - Done
- A8 - Belfast-Larne - Done
- A20 - Belfast-Newtownards - Done
- A22/A21 - Dundonald-Comber-Newtownards - Done
- A27 - Newry-Portadown - Done
- A28/A29 - Newry-Armagh-Dungannon-Cookstown-Coleraine
- A36 - Ballymena-Kilwaughter (A8)
- A44 - Clogh Mills (A26)-Ballycastle - Done
- A46 - Enniskillen-Belleek - Done
- A55 - Belfast Outer Ring
- A57 - Belfast Intl Airport-Templepatrick-Ballyclare-Ballynure (A8) - Done
- A509/A32/A505 - border (Belturbet)-Enniskillen-Omagh-Cookstown - Done
- A514/A515 - Crescent Link-Foyle Bridge-Skeoge Road, all in Londonderry - Done
Be aware that an A-Road might not be trunk for its entire length. Only the trunk portion should be Major Highway.
How to Use the Spreadsheet
- If you know the name of a road, filter it using that name in the Description column to show the road and any that connect to it, then use the length column to try and figure out or confirm the connecting road names against OpenStreetMap.
- For Motorway, A, B, and C-Class roads, filter by the road type then sort the list by the unique column. You should be able to follow the route from beginning to end in sequence.
- If you want to get a list of all the streets in an area, find the name of one road in the area and make a note of the sector, then filter the list using that single sector.