Specify a speed limit on drivable road types. The maximum speed limit is depending on the situation: within or outside city limits, the road type and the presence of other (fixed) traffic signs. This is the regular speed limit. Besides fixed signs the speed limit can be adjusted by changeable signs
Remark: Comment on Maximum speed on freeways starting March 16th 2020
- Make sure you’re using the correct units for the speed limits! You can switch between Imperial and Metric by clicking on the tab with the ‘Gear’ icon, on the left column in the Waze Map Editor. The Gear icon is only visible when no segment or place is selected.
- Adding Speed Limits must be based on certainties. You should be familiar with the area where you add them. Please do not enter Speed Limits when you are not 100% sure.
- The 'normal speed limit' is the speed limit that is applicable when there is no other signage present.
- In some cases it may be required to split segments to be able to enter the correct maximum speed. If the change of speed is near to a junction it can be better not to create an extra segment. Segments should be at least 20 meters.
- On roundabouts enter the highest maximum speed of the connected roads with the same road type.
Areas with a lowered speed limit
In a zone with a lowered maximum speed limit, the maximum speed limit is valid for a clear demarcated area.
Speed limit zone
Road signs like are valid upto the next junction. If no other signs are placed the maximum speed limit of the next street is the standard speed limit. Only maximum speed limit road signs with the word "zone" put around an area are valid for all the streets within this area, (if no other signs overrule the speed limit zone).
Variable speed limit
Enter the regular Speed limit also in case of:
- Matrix signs with or without a red border above the road (MTM)
- Changeable signs if they only show a lower speedlimit at specific times
Don't enter a Speed limit in case of:
- Regular or electronic signs have a restricted time period
- Changeable signs always display a certain speedlimit.