Is that in the logo on the petrol stations though? They also supply home heating oil, which is a big part of their website.
I still vote for “Top” as the brand, until we know for sure that “Oil” appears on the petrol station branding.
++David
Is that in the logo on the petrol stations though? They also supply home heating oil, which is a big part of their website.
I still vote for “Top” as the brand, until we know for sure that “Oil” appears on the petrol station branding.
++David
You are right, in these photos from their instagram you can see “top” with the new colour stripes. So “Top” it is then.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BXXZL79DpLZ
https://www.instagram.com/p/BX-7DrgjY2h
https://www.instagram.com/p/BcaPb3CDtfS
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd2Ip5OHU-m
Similarly, “Tara Oil” should be “Tara” https://goo.gl/maps/Vq7wPpXxMbE2
And “GO” should be “Go” https://goo.gl/maps/nB5kvoRdBk72
I know I’m flooding this post, but seems they use “top oil” on the sign above the prices, and “top” on every other point they want a logo.
Hmm - good point.
However, I still vote for just “Top”, partly because that’s more visible than the “Oil” part (it’s in white, rather than green on a green background), partly because the word “Oil” is redundant, partly because “Top” is the only thing that appears in all their signs and logos, and partly because I suspect that most people would just say “Top” when referring to that brand.
++David
I vote for “Top Oil” mainly two reasons.
Stan also vouched for “Top Oil” - do we need more votes? ![]()
Also, Petrogas is the mother company of Applegreen so that should be removed too.
I feel outnumbered now
- if we find another opinion there’s the risk we’ll then be deadlocked.
Anyway, in my memory (when Top first showed up as a petrol retailer, maybe 35 years ago), the signs then just said “Top”. I reckon it’s only “Top Oil” because they also sell heating oil as well as having a petrol station chain. Aside from that, I vote “Top” because:
How about this: can we find petrol station brands from other (English speaking) countries and see how many of them leave off redundant (in my opinion
) words from petrol station brands, and how many leave them in?
Agreed on that point.
++David
Not sure how to check other English speaking countries so I checked my editable areas.
Haven’t been to The North recently so here’s one from near the border where the list shows both Irish and UK entries (I’m so jealous of the Title Case Topaz):

Germany:

Spain:

In Greece most of the brands with “oil” have it incorporated in the name, but Silk Oil for example has it as a separate word.

So guys, any feedback?
I’m waiting for out HQ contact to confirm the process, but would like to have our list ready to go ![]()
Just to keep everyone updated, I’ve submitted the changes and locked down the spreadsheet. Changes are expected to be live in the next 2 weeks.
PS: Top remains Top ![]()
Changes are live btw, with one little problem.
The renamed brands appear blank in WME while the app still shows the old name. HQ are investigating this.
I don’t know if it’s a coincidence or not, but I was at this Topaz petrol station that shows as TOPAZ in the app and has a blank brand in WME and when I tried to enter new fuel prices (139.5 for diesel and 149.5 for petrol) I was politely informed that my prices were invalid.
I wonder if there’s a correlation between this failure, old brands (“TOPAZ”) and blank brands in WME - or whether 139.5/149.5 is too far away from 1.3 and 1.4 to be considered valid.
Anybody else seen this kind of failure? If it’s commonplace it would explain why prices seems to be being updated so slowly…
++David
Hey David, I got this “Uh-oh!” message the other day, and coincidentally it was also a TOPAZ with the old name. Was this the message you were getting?
Since then, I changed the name to Topaz to see how it looks as it’s on my commute, so I might get a chance to try it again one of these days.
No, it wasn’t the “Uh-oh!” message that I got - it was more informative than that, but it was complaining that the values I was trying to enter were invalid.
I considered contacting Waze HQ to make sure that the ranges of valid prices had been updated (multiplied by 100) at the same time that the price format was changed, but I notice that plenty of stations have had their prices updated, presumably with no problems. Many of these have similar prices (149.9) too. One difference (apart from the “TOPAZ”/blank/“Topaz” brand issue) is that the prices I was trying to enter ended in “.5” (139.5 and 149.5).
++David
Good news on the brands front, all blanks are fixed
Lower case “Topaz” now visible in the app too ![]()