State Specific Routes

Is what you’re wanting to do found on signs on the roads in question?

It could be simpler if Waze ever follows through with producing the shield for “US-##” … last I checked the ones that I’ve updated to that, they’re still showing “US-##” on the client (even after sending a request to Support about them). :?

I’ve still got stretches of interstate that won’t generate a shield.

I’m not drunk…I’m using Tapatalk.

If referring to shields, until they actually, as you guys pointed out, get them work as expected . . . there needs to be a display for the client in the event no shield is generated.

I’m talking about the street signs along these roads. What do they say?

Shielding isn’t relevant right now because it doesn’t work in most cases. That was my original main concern for not following a national standard. If they get shielding working, or implement a shield specific naming field (variation on alternate name…another thing that currently doesn’t work) as discussed at the Wazemeet, all of this work is going to be for nothing.

Hi, I’m Dave and I actually do say both Tennessee-xx and State Route xx (and sometimes even TN-xx) while in TN or referring to TN roads. Pleased to meet you. :smiley: :lol: :smiley: :lol: :smiley:

Of course I admit I am far from the average user. :ugeek:

On the evening news, US and state roads are always just “Highway xxx” and it freaking drives me nuts to hear it each time.

I know I am the Yankee who just moved to the south and I should adapt, but it is hard as a road geek. I mean I had the same type of “discussions” with people in NJ about NJ roads. (Where everything is “Route xxx”.)

Hi, I’m James and I actually use Numbers over highway names. Of course, I grew up in New York, where we had 19W, 52, 17K, 17M, 84, 87, 287, etc.

Here we only have 75, 321, 411, 129, 11, 68, 72, 30, 64, 74. But no one calls them that except for 75. Most people would use “Lamar Alexander” for 321. I believe 11 is Lee Highway, etc. :frowning:

Seriously, if Tennesseans say Highway, I say we ought to cater to it, even no matter how much we dislike it.

I was born in Queens, so I actually remember learning that roads had numbers in addition to names. Heck, I remember learning that there were NAMES and not just letters like the BQE, LIE, GWB, NJTP, GSP etc. :lol:

Took me a while to grasp the meaning behind the 3DI concept though since many of the roads on Long Island have I-78 as the parent 2DI but none actually touch I-78!

Anyway, in casual conversation with friends/family in NY, I’d say most people use the names (even old names like the Triborough Bridge which has been renamed the Robert F. Kennedy Bridge as of 2008). But in NJ it is just the numbers.

I guess in totally casual conversation I tend to just use the numbers for all but interstates. But if I am giving directions or trying to be very clear about a location, that is when I add in a prefix of US or TN for example.

Perhaps I am thinking too wishfully that people could actually learn something (that there is a difference between the federal and state systems) while driving to work :wink:

As far as most people care, they want the road to work and there to be some sort of sign with a number. They probably don’t care about the shield, arrows, etc. Heck, numbers and SGS’s are probably not even important. Maybe the average commuter just wants “Turn right, then turn left at the third red light, go straight through the stop sign, and your destination will be on your left” - I know I would trust Waze’s engine if they could do that.

Hey we’d have the ultimate navigation for some people if we populate landmarks for businesses and Waze can say “turn left at the Burger King, then right at CVS” :lol:

I know my sister is that kind of driver :wink: (I did get her and my father to both start using Waze just recently)

I think the Navigation Unit that can figure that out will be the one that takes the cake. It’d fit human dialog so much more.

I believe Tom Tom tried to do this, but was using awnings and building colors for the hints. I sure it was abandoned when they figured out how much updating was needed.

Me too, it’s a bit challenging to use Tapatalk, but I am getting used to it.