They don’t on this platform. That’s why TTS directions don’t work when Waze can’t find the network. TTS files are created server-side and cached on the device. If you’re on Android, you can get to the cached files somewhere (I’m not on Android, but I believe it has been mentioned in this thread at least once).
Btw, “Mt” says “mount,” not “mountain.”
I don’t know if it was tested with capitals only (“MT”), or why if that’s the case, but it seems I’d been changing instances of “Mt” to “Mount” unnecessarily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Is it possible that frequently encountered TTS data - like, say, reading the same phrases over and over again because you keep driving to work the same way - causes that TTS data to be accessed from a local cache?
In an unrelated observation, we seem to have a bunch of Tnl abbreviations on the Turnpike in northern NJ being read as its letters (tee en el), as opposed to Tunnel. This makes the Turnpike’s references to the Holland and Lincoln Tunnels sound really weird. Is this a known bug/limit of the TTS and the Tnl abbreviation?
TTS instructions are indeed cached. Theres some way to clear it, I think by typing cc@tts nto the nav bar.
Is Tnl listed as supported in the Google spreadsheet?
I’ve noticed sometimes when a weird voice is used with slightly different phrasing. I would assume that would be cached or non-server TTS of some kind. It usually doesn’t include road names (sticking to stuff like ‘turn left’ instead of ‘turn left at north pleasantburg drive’) but very rarely does.
I still want to hear Samuel L Jackson give directions—“I said take a mother f***in right”
When it reroutes to avoid traffic: “I’m tired of these motherfin’ cars on this motherfin’ road!”
When Waze can’t reach the server for TTS, it reverts to the last selected (or default) non-TTS voice as a fail-safe so you at least get some instruction. Usually this isn’t too jarring, because the two default voice types are similar enough, although the non-TTS voice is a bit louder and sounds somewhat more excited. My most recent experience with this was not so, since the last non-TTS voice I had selected was Kevin Hart’s Ride-Along. THAT was a surprise!
Here’s another fun thing: “Sainte Anne St” is pronounced by the TTS voice such that it sounds a lot like “Satan Street”. Yikes!
Would anybody want to ßeta test new voice for US?
There is a new voice called: “Jane”
My initial impressions so far positive. It seems a bit faster than the default voice and seem more clearer. Would be useful those long directions on Hwy’s in rather short segments.
Still there are issues with it. She read “Redman Ter” as Redmander. Also, few times it drag the word and read a little longer.
Sure, how do I activate it? For English, I only have Samantha and Tom… 4 Spanish, but only 2 English.
Let me know if you use iphone or android. (I might need your email)
Android. Very old version if that matters (time for an upgrade!)
OK. I’ll make sure you get added. Thanks for your interest.
I’ll try the new voice if you still need testers. iPhone here.
I’ll add you to the list as well
I’ll try it too, if you need me. I have an iPhone.
Is there a thread for this somewhere I missed? :lol:
I guess you did ![]()
I’ll ask that you are added as well. With you we should have a balance 3 iphone and 3 Android.
Here is the link:
Not authorized.
You should be able to test the voice correct?
I’ll check the other issue and let you know.
“Information
You are not authorised to read this forum.”
Weird, I thought I was authorized to read all the forums…
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2