IGN mistakes

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Re: Re: IGN morons

Postby dmcconachie » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:51 pm

ircphoenix wrote:Trust me... I'm quite familiar with your cantankerous rants on pretty much EVERY Waze related issue to date. =D

Harsh! :cry: I'll take that in the good natured way I'm sure it was intended!
dmcconachie

Postby ircphoenix » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:58 am

dmcconachie wrote:You seem to be under the impression that I'm defending them. Having made similar rants on here and directly to waze I assure you I'm not. I was just correcting a common misunderstanding.

And you seem to be under the impression that I think you're defending them. You're reading too far into my post. I was merely trying to keep the flame train on track. =P

Trust me... I'm quite familiar with your cantankerous rants on pretty much EVERY Waze related issue to date. =D
ircphoenix

Postby dmcconachie » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:41 am

ircphoenix wrote:
dmcconachie wrote:Not strictly true. As they can only be created by an editor roundabouts are auto-validated and will appear in clients without any further interaction. There is a bug in cartouche whereby the colour doesn't change unless you change the road-type, which I'm guessing they should have done here but the roundabout should function ok.

And your statement ignores the main (and valid) thrust of this thread which happens to be, "WTF, IGN_name? WTF?"

You seem to be under the impression that I'm defending them. Having made similar rants on here and directly to waze I assure you I'm not. I was just correcting a common misunderstanding.
dmcconachie

Re: Re: IGN morons

Postby ircphoenix » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:34 am

dmcconachie wrote:Not strictly true. As they can only be created by an editor roundabouts are auto-validated and will appear in clients without any further interaction. There is a bug in cartouche whereby the colour doesn't change unless you change the road-type, which I'm guessing they should have done here but the roundabout should function ok.

And your statement ignores the main (and valid) thrust of this thread which happens to be, "WTF, IGN_name? WTF?"
ircphoenix

Re: Re: IGN morons

Postby dmcconachie » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:25 am

gettingthere wrote:oh, so sorry ign_maryna - you really do need to edit that roundabout and give it a city name for it to not be 'red' and show up on the live map and the Waze application.

Not strictly true. As they can only be created by an editor roundabouts are auto-validated and will appear in clients without any further interaction. There is a bug in cartouche whereby the colour doesn't change unless you change the road-type, which I'm guessing they should have done here but the roundabout should function ok.
dmcconachie

Re: Re: IGN mistakes

Postby cfreema » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:32 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
bgodette wrote:Wasn't there just recently a discussion about using roundabouts for large circular/ovoid culdesacs?

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13253

yes i did find that when i searched for cul de sac in the forums and all i got from that is that ign editor made a mistake here. EVERYONE on that post decided in a case like THIS one it should end there with no roundabout. the wiki was no help on this one either. i saw the cul de sac issue earlier in this thread as well. they both showed up here. but that is why i posted this AFTER i read them and reread the editor manual and best editing practice. i also read on this thread that we MIGHT not be reporting ign mistakes anymore. and yes i remember now that the driveways were edited during the roundabout and not by the ign editor. and i remember "hearing" that driveways should not be on the map(with few exceptions these not meeting those requirements). and even you good ol' alan yelled at someone for leaving a road unknown like that..... and ign are supposed to know better?(it was a ramp someone needed fixing because they didn't have permission to connect it to the road and you said he needed to name it first.) and then there is this, is this WORTH reporting? and yes the rest of prince george's county in maryland is still basemap admin created like this with lots of offsets from poor basemaps. have a look around if you dare.

Upper Marlboro, MD
these are not 1way in Bowie, MD
Capitol Heights, MD a nice stroll through the Virginia Backwoods.

*edit waze is useless in p.g. county. i have been editing for 17 days now i have almost 15000 map edits, i use the forum and wiki search boxes, i have almost 3000 miles driven, and almost 6 miles of cookie eating. i promise you guys i am one of the good guys. i am even trying to get the Maryland Wiki up and going and the ams in maryland together to tackle this difficult state.
cfreema

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:04 pm

bgodette wrote:Wasn't there just recently a discussion about using roundabouts for large circular/ovoid culdesacs?

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13253
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:59 am

cfreema wrote:are we still reporting these errors? since when is a culdesac a roundabout, and since when are driveways "streets"

*edit
i know we aren't this dumb. this was edited in oct of this year. is it safe to say this exact areal was here in oct, 2 months ago? i can go to any area in the u.s. see this areal and get the edit right. do the ign editors work blind, with no areal. plus with another map reference, i can get the right city name, the right street name, and see that, yep... those are driveways. am i alone here?
Wasn't there just recently a discussion about using roundabouts for large circular/ovoid culdesacs? Granted the examples under discussion had central islands. Also do we have any idea what this looked like before?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:16 am

gettingthere wrote:Since it's expected:

Complain, complain - lay off the unnecessary turning lanes!

I expect to see that on a picketing sign at the NA meeting. :)

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby RobFromLafayette » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:21 pm

jenncard wrote:
gettingthere wrote:Why oh why is a roundabout necessary in a dead end street / cul-de-sac?

... Roundabouts are fun to make?

... Roundabouts are fun to route through when you're using the "boy band" voice prompts?
RobFromLafayette

Next

Return to Waze Map Editor