IGN mistakes

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: IGN mistakes

Postby jenncard » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:28 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:training opportunities.

i love that euphemism! but a good point about training - the real way to learn is to have to fix your own mistakes... :?:
jenncard

Location: Somewhere in Los Angeles, but probably on my bicycle

Postby gettingthere » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:13 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Krankyd is still keeping tabs on this thread and using it for training opportunities.

Well you would think they would at least fix the issues reported in this thread. On the first page of this thread the issues that I reported and didn't fix still are not fixed!

I am actually wonder if Waze Mobile has any control at all over these editors. Seems that if they are located in another country that they are likely not Waze employees and some type of subcontracting arrangement. And if they speak another language, likely there is a go-between that is communicating directly with the editors.

Has any Area Manager been contacted by any IGN editor as Waze had previously promised?
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby WeeeZer14 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:09 am

Already fixed, but if I find others I'll post them.
WeeeZer14

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:58 am

If you can put in permalinks here and not fix the problems if they are minor, then please do so. Otherwise, maybe a permalink and a screenshot or two as examples and then fix it. Krankyd is still keeping tabs on this thread and using it for training opportunities.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby WeeeZer14 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:53 am

I was editing in my old neighborhood in northern NJ this morning and dealt with about 5 update requests for wrong turns where users were told to go the wrong way down 5 different one way streets. Waze had these roads as two way. The common thread? ALL were last edited by IGN users! And in all cases, none of the other streets in the area immediately around each of those roads were touched by the IGN user. Simple grid streets too, with no curves and they have been in place for decades.

I'll guess maybe someone did drive the wrong way down the street, or poor GPS lock made it look like someone did. But the solution is NOT to automatically make a road two way because it may not be. :roll:

(And I just got flashbacks to all the threads where people ask why the default behavior is to make roads one way instead of two way :) )
WeeeZer14

Postby mapcat » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:25 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Map error now because ign split a road: https://descartes.waze.com/live/?zoom=7 ... TTTTFTTTTT. Left turn lane in the middle is the cause.

This road doesn't deserve to be split, but I think this error also shows that the algorithm is too sensitive.

Don't worry about it. They drew in parking lots. Problem solved!
mapcat

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:15 pm

Map error now because ign split a road: https://descartes.waze.com/live/?zoom=7 ... TTTTFTTTTT. Left turn lane in the middle is the cause.

This road doesn't deserve to be split, but I think this error also shows that the algorithm is too sensitive.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:36 pm

https://descartes.waze.com/live/?zoom=7 ... TTTTFTTTTT

Every junction in this intersection is set to allow all turns, including the dedicated right-turns "ramps" (not supposed to be "ramp" but street type) which would route across a divided road.

EDIT: I am fixing this now, so you won't see the problems by the time you
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gettingthere » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:24 pm

Seems that the first post subject has magically changed.

Waze Support responded today. Here is what they had to say about this:

"Sorry for the delayed response.
IGN editors are indeed less focused on update requests and more focused on map problems (mainly those caused by drives and GPS traces analysis).
We are monitoring the examples in the forum thread you've mentioned, and they will be fixed."
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby harling » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:08 pm

gettingthere wrote:I suspect they are more focused on projects and Automacally generated map problems in Papyrus than Update Requests from the end-users...

That is my impression as well. There are two shortcomings to this approach:

1) Judgment on the part of the ign_* editors is required to determine whether the automatically-generated problems are truly problems; and
    2) Of all the possible maps that address the GPS discrepancies that prompted the automatic alert, many are either incorrect or result in more problems.
Both of these would be addressed by assigning the ign_* editors to URs: end-users, not an automated process, have flagged these issues as real problems worth reporting; and if the solution implemented by the ign_* editors is incorrect, the same Wazers will continue to flag it until it is fixed correctly.
harling

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor