UK Road Labeling

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: UK Road Labeling

Postby zzyzxuk » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:11 pm

Oh - and can you send a permanlink showing me where you think the carriageways are 'merged'? That's definitely wrong if they are...
zzyzxuk

Postby zzyzxuk » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:37 pm

Gordon,

Might have been me who wiped out your labelling - I've been doing a ton of work on the M25, and when segments get connected Waze has a nasty habit of "overwriting" the information on one segment with the information on another, so it might have dropped some of your labelling if it merged with a segment I'd created where I hadn't done the CW thing.

As for the labelling itself - I personally don't like the idea of doing the CW or ACW thing, because:

- I think it really clutters up the labelling and looks horrible on the Waze screen - especially when people write the whole word out.
- No one else seems in the world seems to be labelling their motorways with "northbound", "eastbound", etc., either)
- I am also not convinced it adds that much value because:
- When Waze detects traffic and sends an alert - if you click on the alert to see where the jam is, it shows you a beautiful little map with arrows showing which direction the jam is in, so it makes the road label fairly redundant.

Also - Waze is about to implement an "alternative" road name feature (have you noticed the new field for "English name" in the roads?) - I think they're moving towards a system where a road could have multiple labels on it, and the "clockwise" / "anticlockwise" might go really well there - and I'd like to give things a few days to see how the new feature plays out before relabelling all the extant segments.

All this being said, I don't personally drive on the M25 myself on a daily basis, and remain open to alternative viewpoints...
zzyzxuk

Postby zzyzxuk » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:26 pm

So - can we settle on a common standard for roads in the UK?

I think this is where we are:

"Freeway" - "Proper" motorway.
"Major Highway" - Dual carriageway A-Roads which have limited access (ramps).
"Minor Highway" - Single carriageway, urban A-Roads, or dual carriageway roads without ramps (e.g. Bushy Road in Wimbledon, or Euston Road in Central London, also rural B-Roads.
"Primary Street" - urban B-Roads, other roads carrying heavier traffic in rural areas.

Additions/Suggestions to this list?
zzyzxuk

Postby zzyzxuk » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:58 am

OK - I've been quiet on this topic because I sent an email or two to Waze support hoping for some clarification of what they might want to see. I've heard nothing, but others seem to think that we're going to be left on our own to decide this. Oh well... :)

I'm starting to be persuaded about the argument that if we don't designate certain roads as higher priority, they won't show up on the "Live Map" screen at the smaller zoom levels, and it might be hard to know where a city is. For example, I've been doing a TON of mapping in Central London over the last few weeks, but I've been using my own personal rule of: "All urban roads are either streets or primary streets unless they're dual-carriageways with a speed limit > 30"

The downside of this is that there are NO roads in Central London that qualify for anything higher than "primary road" using this definition, so consequently, it's hard to know where Central London actually IS at the higher zoom levels, unless you sort of know to follow the motorways to where they end. Once the M25 is completely mapped, people might be able to see the ring, and intuitively know that London's in the Centre.

I've looked at how Google do it, and on Google Earth, they seem to have a convention of showing urban A-Roads as 'secondary highways' until they get to the inner ring, after which they abandon that convention and use the one I've been using. (Presumably again because in central London, there's TONS of A-Roads, and marking them all as secondary highways would clutter the map beyond all usefulness.)

Anyway - would anyone like to argue differently?

Also - I think it'd be good to kick around the carriageway naming on the motorways. I understand the logic about wanting to see whether the traffic jam on the M25 is on the clockwise or anticlockwise carriageway, and I've seen some fellow Wazers labelling the M25 as such. I'm slightly reluctant to do this myself because I just think "M25 Anticlockwise" takes too much space on the map and looks kind of ugly when labelled. I've heard from a little bird that we're soon going to be able to have "secondary" names for roads, so when that occurs, I think the "anticlockwise" bit might work well in the secondary field name, but would want to see how the client handles it before being sure.

Again - thoughts?
zzyzxuk

Postby zzyzxuk » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:22 am

OK - at this point I'm now wanting guidance from Waze even more. There must be some -ideal- way to do this, and I'm also not into unilateral decisions. Is this really down to us to work out?
zzyzxuk

Postby zzyzxuk » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:45 pm

I keep thinking that the distinction I would like to see when looking at a map is: is this route going to be in any way preferable to others? I think most of us base that on speed.

Yes, I know Waze automatically thinks about that, but some of us will still 'prefer' route that we believe are going to be faster for some reason.

For this reason, I keep thinking that the main distinction might be best thought of in terms of speeds.

So how about something more like this:

Motorways: - Freeways
Any other dual carriageway - Major Highway
Any 2-lane A Road, or indeed B-Road - Minor Highway

This way - A-Roads inside cities would only be marked as a 'minor highway' if it's just another 2-lane road, but if it's a dual carriageway, it would get a higher 'status', and look more impressive, since it's more likely to have a higher speed limit and be able to carry a higher volume?
zzyzxuk

Postby zzyzxuk » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:41 am

OK - is there any chance of getting any official guidance from Waze on this then?

I know that the small group of us who are currently naming UK roads might be able to come to some agreement at the moment, but we will very shortly be joined by dozens (hundreds?) of other people who will soon be joining Waze, all with their own thoughts on the matter...

We could keep reinventing the wheel, but I suspect that at some point, someone at Waze would eventually -tell- us to name them in some fashion... -If- that was going to happen, I would rather it happen now than later, so I don't have to re-name all the roads...

Waze guys? Any thoughts?
zzyzxuk

Postby zzyzxuk » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:32 pm

I've been putting the A and B roads in as 'primary streets' if it's in a built-up area where the speed limit is going to be 30 mph. Outside the built up areas, I would be in complete agreement that A roads should be "major highways" and B-roads "minor highways" - but in the middle of London, A-roads are little better than most side roads...surely?
zzyzxuk

Postby woodvale » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:47 pm

There are no guidelines for labelling roads where a street name exists but it forms part of a named route. The question was raised in an unlock request with regard to the naming of streets which form part of the South Circular Road http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=265&t=24014.

The route going through my editing area was already labelled just as A205 - South Circular Rd, and there was no listing of the street names of those roads - Atkins Rd, Streatham Pl, Christchurch Rd, Thurlow Pk Rd, Dulwich Common. I relabelled the roads in the form A205 - Atkins Rd (South Circular Rd) on the basis that either would be found in a search. However, I've been told this is wrong, although not why.

How should we label such roads? Currently, Atkins Rd which runs west from Streatham Pl, only forms part of the South Circular for a short length. The road then continues as an ordinary residential street. Clearly, it's correct to label the street sections as Atkins Rd. The section that forms part of the South Circular is also Atkins Rd and should be labelled accordingly.

What's the best way of labelling in this example?

Regards
John
woodvale UK Champ, UK CM, AM City and South London, Jamaica WI
Latest Waze on Galaxy S7 Android 7.0
Waze FAQ UK Wazeopedia UK Forum
ImageImageImage
woodvale
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby stevious » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:36 am

Looks good, except that Dror has stated that carriageway direction should be included, because this makes traffic and incident reports and navigation much more effective. I'll take care of it.

Great, thanks.

Steven
stevious

Next

Return to Waze Map Editor