UK Road Labeling

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

UK Road Labeling

Postby fehners » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:36 pm

Edited to show the current suggestion for road labeling

"Freeway" - "Proper" motorway.
"Major Highway" - Dual carriageway A-Roads which have limited access (ramps).
"Minor Highway" - Single carriageway, urban A-Roads, or dual carriageway roads without ramps (e.g. Bushy Road in Wimbledon, or Euston Road in Central London, also rural B-Roads.
"Primary Street" - urban B-Roads, other roads carrying heavier traffic in rural areas.

------------------------------------------------------

Currently the pre-defined road types don't fit with UK road types, so I wondered what other people were doing in the UK.

Currently I do the following:

Freeway -> Motorway
Major Highway -> Large A road/Dual carrage like A27 A23 etc
Minor Highway -> Smaller single lane A roads like A273
Primary Streets -> B Roads
Streets -> Local Roads

What is the consensus on UK road types?
Last edited by fehners on Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fehners

Re: UK Road Labeling

Postby robin1979 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:42 pm

Basically that's how we do it in Belgium/Netherlands/Germany/(Italy?), with some little detailed difference:

Major highway -> Numbered road outside vicinity (or inside <40mph)
Minor highway -> Numbered road inside vicinity (or outside >40mph)
MapSquadEurope
Area Manager - Europe
robin1979

Postby Feathers44 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:34 pm

Hmmm. That looks a little different to what's been done around me.

We have the A3 as a Major Highway (3 lanes, a motorway in all but name) but at the moment A and B roads are all Primary Roads.

I don't disagree with your method, actually I quite like it and will probably use it locally, but I can see a lot of tweaking being required if we're going to get the country to be consistent.
Feathers44

Postby sketch » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:32 pm

A-roads should certainly not be "Primary Streets", at least not outside of cities. "Primary Street" is pretty much for in-town roads with speed limits probably around 30-40 mph, faster than residential side streets and maybe more than one lane but not very high speed.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby zzyzxuk » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:32 pm

I've been putting the A and B roads in as 'primary streets' if it's in a built-up area where the speed limit is going to be 30 mph. Outside the built up areas, I would be in complete agreement that A roads should be "major highways" and B-roads "minor highways" - but in the middle of London, A-roads are little better than most side roads...surely?
zzyzxuk

Postby sketch » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:45 pm

zzyzxuk wrote:I've been putting the A and B roads in as 'primary streets' if it's in a built-up area where the speed limit is going to be 30 mph. Outside the built up areas, I would be in complete agreement that A roads should be "major highways" and B-roads "minor highways" - but in the middle of London, A-roads are little better than most side roads...surely?

That sounds reasonable, yes. There are segments of U.S. highways in cities that are pretty much the same as other surface streets, so it becomes a formality alone.

I'm pretty sure the only real difference between the types, aside from "avoid highways" routing and (obviously) visual differences, is the speed at which waze begins to autodetect traffic, so that would be appropriate.
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby robin1979 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:49 pm

zzyzxuk wrote:I've been putting the A and B roads in as 'primary streets' if it's in a built-up area where the speed limit is going to be 30 mph. Outside the built up areas, I would be in complete agreement that A roads should be "major highways" and B-roads "minor highways" - but in the middle of London, A-roads are little better than most side roads...surely?

Yes, but it gives a much better view at the higher zoom levels. Normal streets disappear quite fast, whereas highways stay visible. So even in the city you really should make a difference between streets and highways. Speed is extrapolated from the average speed on the road, not by road type.
MapSquadEurope
Area Manager - Europe
robin1979

Postby robferrer » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:02 pm

I've been labelling major dual carriageways A-roads as freeways due to the requirement for ramps etc, and based on the information in this: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/How_ ... name_roads (ie no stops).
robferrer

Postby robin1979 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:56 pm

robferrer wrote:I've been labelling major dual carriageways A-roads as freeways due to the requirement for ramps etc, and based on the information in this: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/How_ ... name_roads (ie no stops).

That means when you have an A-road with a roundabout, you would have to make the roundabout a ramp.
MapSquadEurope
Area Manager - Europe
robin1979

Postby sketch » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:10 am

What is the requirement for ramps, anyway? I don't think it's true that you need a ramp in order to enter a "Freeway"... Before I bridged the interstate system, Waze would tell me to turn directly onto Freeway-type roads all the time.

However, I still think A-roads should be labeled as "Major Highway", because of the UK's system of limited licences that prohibit you from using the motorway system. I might call them "Minor Highway" inside city limits... I'm not sure. I have heard that road type at least partially determines the speed at which traffic alerts are placed. I guess I'd need clarification from the dev team.
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Waze Map Editor