UK Road Labeling

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

UK Road Labeling

Postby fehners » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:36 pm

Edited to show the current suggestion for road labeling

"Freeway" - "Proper" motorway.
"Major Highway" - Dual carriageway A-Roads which have limited access (ramps).
"Minor Highway" - Single carriageway, urban A-Roads, or dual carriageway roads without ramps (e.g. Bushy Road in Wimbledon, or Euston Road in Central London, also rural B-Roads.
"Primary Street" - urban B-Roads, other roads carrying heavier traffic in rural areas.

------------------------------------------------------

Currently the pre-defined road types don't fit with UK road types, so I wondered what other people were doing in the UK.

Currently I do the following:

Freeway -> Motorway
Major Highway -> Large A road/Dual carrage like A27 A23 etc
Minor Highway -> Smaller single lane A roads like A273
Primary Streets -> B Roads
Streets -> Local Roads

What is the consensus on UK road types?
Last edited by fehners on Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fehners

Re: UK Road Labeling

Postby floppyrod84 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:33 pm

You had to revive a 2 year old thread to ask a question? Please post a new one in the UK Forum.

I have already pointed you to the road naming section of the UK wiki, I'd suggest you read that.

Also, as a new editor I don't think it's very clever to mess around with major routes. Raise an Update Request from the client or get in contact with the AM for London, dknight212.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84

Postby woodvale » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:47 pm

There are no guidelines for labelling roads where a street name exists but it forms part of a named route. The question was raised in an unlock request with regard to the naming of streets which form part of the South Circular Road http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=265&t=24014.

The route going through my editing area was already labelled just as A205 - South Circular Rd, and there was no listing of the street names of those roads - Atkins Rd, Streatham Pl, Christchurch Rd, Thurlow Pk Rd, Dulwich Common. I relabelled the roads in the form A205 - Atkins Rd (South Circular Rd) on the basis that either would be found in a search. However, I've been told this is wrong, although not why.

How should we label such roads? Currently, Atkins Rd which runs west from Streatham Pl, only forms part of the South Circular for a short length. The road then continues as an ordinary residential street. Clearly, it's correct to label the street sections as Atkins Rd. The section that forms part of the South Circular is also Atkins Rd and should be labelled accordingly.

What's the best way of labelling in this example?

Regards
woodvale
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:12 pm

The Wiki does has recommendations for road naming conventions in Waze.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kieranrawley » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:44 pm

The convention that I have been using since starting out with Waze is that of Google. A motorway is obviously the same as a freeway so ends up blue. Dual carriageways with central reservation are major highways. If the road is amber or orange, it's a primary street. If its white, it's a street.

If you have any further suggestions as to the best format, please let me know and I'll adjust as needed.

Kieran
kieranrawley

Postby ahartley » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:28 am

Sorry to butt in on this thread - I am sure I will need this info later.

I have only just started to use Waze yesterday and have been trying to label some local roads without any success. I have spent the last couple of hours looking through the hugely haphazard support pages but cannot find a step by step description that works. I have tried to label a 'street' but it asks for a name and a city. City really has little meaning out in the sticks and if I enter my village I get unauthorised to add. The 'help' screen displays also seem out of step with the latest iPhone version.

Thanks.
ahartley

Postby sketch » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:46 pm

Yes, I'll work on a list of definitive abbreviations as they are already found on the US map.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby robferrer » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:54 am

Abbreviations are mentioned (I'd previously put the full name in for completeness). What about Street->St?
robferrer

Postby stevious » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:36 am

Looks good, except that Dror has stated that carriageway direction should be included, because this makes traffic and incident reports and navigation much more effective. I'll take care of it.

Great, thanks.

Steven
stevious

Postby robferrer » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:26 am

Looks good. It means a few changes to how I currently label things. Unfortunately I don't have time to rename all the roads I've done so far (at the moment), but I'll use those conventions for anything new.
robferrer

Next

Return to Waze Map Editor