Jolly drivers

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Jolly drivers

Postby goimir » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:07 am

qwaletee wrote:
Truck 19 Links?

It's not a Waze issue, it's a DOT issue. Truck 19 follows 376/22/30 West through the Ft. Pitt Tunnel as it travels south, and then loops back via a ramp under that highway to 376/22/30 East and exits onto 51 South. Northbound, it gets off of 51 North onto the same ramp that Truck 19 South exits off of 376/22/30 West from, continues onto 376/22/30 East and goes through the Ft. Pitt Tunnel. The wiki page for Truck 19 Pittsburgh has a map and such.

So as you approach the tunnel driving East, you're on 376 East, 22 East, 30 East, Truck 19 North, and Truck 19 South. And this is, ironically, the best way to enter the city from a dramatic standpoint according to the chamber of commerce. First you see the confusing signs after driving through the pastoral landscape of the countryside that sits between the airport and the city, then you go through a tunnel, get greeted with a large cityscape, and realize you're in completely the wrong lane.

They leave out the wrong way concurrency and the wrong lane bit in their press release though.

Sent from my SGH-I927 using Tapatalk
goimir

Postby qwaletee » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:34 am

goimir wrote:
qwaletee wrote:I actually did that twice in the last last week in my area. One was consistent with local usage, and was needed due to a confusion of streets joining on each side. The other was an "official" but unsigned bridge name. It was needed because otherwise, the bridge above and street below wold have shared a name, and likely got a few drivers lost

Otherwise, I agree, caling out bridges is overkill. Some drivers will complain if you don't, other drivers will complain if you do. Most will have no problem either way.

That's the custom in Pittsburgh. Roads don't usually keep the same name over bridges (s 10th str does, but none others do), and they're all either named or called "[name of street] bridge"

The only case I know of in Pittsburgh where the disambiguation actually does something is 31st street, where 31st actually continues underneath the 31st street bridge. But then again, this is a town where US Truck 19 is concurrent with itself for a few hundred yards.

Truck 19 Links?
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby goimir » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:36 pm

qwaletee wrote:I actually did that twice in the last last week in my area. One was consistent with local usage, and was needed due to a confusion of streets joining on each side. The other was an "official" but unsigned bridge name. It was needed because otherwise, the bridge above and street below wold have shared a name, and likely got a few drivers lost

Otherwise, I agree, caling out bridges is overkill. Some drivers will complain if you don't, other drivers will complain if you do. Most will have no problem either way.

That's the custom in Pittsburgh. Roads don't usually keep the same name over bridges (s 10th str does, but none others do), and they're all either named or called "[name of street] bridge"

The only case I know of in Pittsburgh where the disambiguation actually does something is 31st street, where 31st actually continues underneath the 31st street bridge. But then again, this is a town where US Truck 19 is concurrent with itself for a few hundred yards.

goimir

Postby qwaletee » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:48 pm

olestas wrote:We had an editor, who started cutting the road with bridge and adding segment named "bridge" there...

I actually did that twice in the last last week in my area. One was consistent with local usage, and was needed due to a confusion of streets joining on each side. The other was an "official" but unsigned bridge name. It was needed because otherwise, the bridge above and street below wold have shared a name, and likely got a few drivers lost

qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby Olestas » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:00 pm

We had an editor, who started cutting the road with bridge and adding segment named "bridge" there...
Olestas
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby AndyPoms » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:10 am

bz2012 wrote:Unfortunately, some drivers seem to think that all bridges should be 'landmarked' as such.
When they cross a bridge that doesn't show as such on WAZE, they post a report.
They miss the last word in the 'missing bridge overpass'.
Sometimes they report this if they don't see the water on the map - even if it's a little tiny stream that a person can jump across.
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bz2012 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:04 am

Unfortunately, some drivers seem to think that all bridges should be 'landmarked' as such.
When they cross a bridge that doesn't show as such on WAZE, they post a report.
They miss the last word in the 'missing bridge overpass'.

My editing started when my GPS kept telling me to turn off of an overpass onto the street below.
THAT was a 'missing bridge overpass'. :)
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby sockslabs » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:44 am

You can send him our prize cap:

[ img ]
sockslabs
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby misomac » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:48 am

I have a driver reporting a "missing bridge" error on an actual bridge (that happens to go over water). In the details the driver wrote "This is a bridge" :? :shock: Advice on how to respond please?
misomac
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby syborg_sasquatch » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:35 am

I saw a similar UR this week and I believe the user may be referring to the arrows that appear with traffic highlighting to designate which direction is effected.

Sent using Tapatalk.
syborg_sasquatch

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor