Jolly drivers

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Jolly drivers

Postby davielde » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:21 am

Went the wrong way trying to get across the border?
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan
davielde
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby davielde » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:54 am

Fredo-p wrote:
davielde wrote:Went the wrong way trying to get across the border?

Into the ocean? :lol:

Swam into the "si"
WME Michigan
davielde
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby davielde » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:34 am

dmcrandall wrote:Maybe the same guy from the bay in Brooklyn? Trying to come ashore after his trip around the horn?
davielde wrote:Went the wrong way trying to get across the border?

Spelling errors are courtesy of large thumbs and a small smartphome keyboard.

Suspiciously similar [WHITE SMILING FACE]
WME Michigan
davielde
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby davipt » Fri May 17, 2013 8:27 am

In a serious note, you are joking, but the more I read the more I identify my own reports and see we have a serious need for private reports, visible only to self, without having other editors joking with them or wrongly closing them because they won't understand the cryptic message one can write while driving.

Let me pick some examples if I were to write them down:

"very bumpy" - consider decreasing the type. if already street and it's a street full of potholes and there are plenty of alternatives, consider using dirty.

"DR EES in AHA in" - sometimes the instruction is wrong but it's not easy to pan the map to confirm if the road behind is correct, so it's easier to write a reminder to confirm the street name and nuance spelling

General error (user reported) (gas stations) - reminder to verify the stations landmarks and access roads, using the green line to remind where is the entry and exit and if there is any restrictions. all that without a word!

"driving on dirt and the ended" - the distinction between dirty and 4x4. Doing geocache, have plenty of these. Dirty roads still marked as street, probably drawn by someone looking at the satelite map, the report marks where the road is no longer available to a regular car.

Anyway I'm not saying to not report them, they are funny anyway, but I'd recommend you'd have a serious conversation in your local forum and have an agreement on report abbreviations and personal marks so editors can understand each other and some of the cryptic reports and make sure those reports are not closed because they look silly, but let the reporter fix whatever he was meant to fix. Drives and reports sometimes takes time to be uploaded.

Because the report also contains the green and violet lines, including the instructions nearby, closing them will remove that information from the original reporter!
ImageBruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ
Coordinator for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Fri May 17, 2013 3:33 pm

jasonh300 wrote:
razor2k wrote:Most editor's know if they're leaving a UR as a reminder for themselves, they will mark it as such in the description so it won't be confused with a report from a user.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Also, they'll get an e-mail with their cryptic message and a permalink. The only thing they'll be missing is their track.

However, it would be a nice feature if that track was visible when clicking on that link, even after the UR is closed.

Ideally the device should be configured to use a OS abbreviation to quickly write a recognizable note about not closing or the owner, but some devices can't do it (or the users don't know), and my iOS seems to have stopped doing the expansion either after the 3.6 betas or the jailbreak :(

And again sometimes the tracks are what matters the most. If I do a report "right street x" or "left one way here" I need the track to know what is right or left. If someone closes them without understanding them or fixing the right thing I might not recall anymore what direction I was and need to play with the drives to recall it :?
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Fri May 17, 2013 9:42 pm

txemt wrote:
fvwazing wrote:Solution could be to make the UR visible only to the originator for a few days, then to make it visible to higher level editors, and only after that to the general public.

If I'm leaving a note, I always put "txemt" that way people know either to stay away from it, or that I'm directing them to something very specific. Two nights ago, I put a UR down that said "delete rest area--txemt" so if anyone saw it, they'd know to delete the rest area, but 2 weeks ago, I put down "investigate--txemt" meaning that I knew something was up, but couldn't explain it, so when anyone saw the UR, they'd leave it for me, and when I saw it, it would trigger my memory as to why I made such UR.

Got it
http://www.redmondpie.com/fix-iphone-ke ... jailbreak/

But there are still some newbies that will close the UR even with an explicit "personal note davipt do not close" ;)
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Fri May 17, 2013 9:46 pm

txemt wrote:Tell them privately to keep away.

I do. If I were on the laptop I could get some of their answers to get back on topic here. ;) stuff like "the map is not yours if I want to fix it my way I fix it and close the report" and then there were zero changes >:)
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Fri May 17, 2013 9:55 pm

txemt wrote:
I understand you may want to edit the map, but I am leaving notes for myself on the editor, so I may go back and fix the editor to better serve those who use it. While I understand your eagerness to edit the map, you are actually hindering the process by deleting my notes. I ask kindly that you refrain from deleting my notes on the editor. Thank you, Davipt.

"But I did help you, the roundabout now has all entries and exits like I see on the satellite map" would be an answer to a note of a corrupted roundabout missing a 90 degree turn right/left or saying no exit number and because the roundabouts are usually blocked, their fix would be disconnecting the existing segment, creating a new one (without name, hence red), trying to reconnect both to the roundabout without sucess, zooming in and dragging the node over the roundabout hoping the junction would work by magic.

Fortunately the scripts show the unterminated roads right away :)
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Fri May 17, 2013 10:14 pm

gerben wrote:At the World Champs meetup, Ohad heard we are (ab)using the UR system to leave notes for ourselves. He promised to investigate if it was possible to add a 'note to self' mechanism, something like a UR that is only visible to the person that made the report.

That would be great. Don't tell anyone but because I have automatic gear (rare in portugal) and its quite easy to write on the iPhone I can report everything on my way - wrong street names, corrupted roundabouts, wrong instructions, city limits, etc. so in the end people can see my weekend routes just by looking at all my reports. Fortunately we've published a set of common abbreviations and hints so other editors can understand my reports and do their work and earn the points. :D
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Sat May 18, 2013 11:45 pm

Guy draws a lot of new roads, some clearly newly paved, some created on the editor, some by deleting the existing ones and creating new, some by splitting the two-way into two one way, some Y on roundabouts, etc. etc. but the point is that all of those segments are red without street or city name. I ask him to at least set the two checkboxes or else the streets won't enter the map - not even picking the splitting and Y stuff on the first request - and the guy answers that "of course it's on the map, I can see it on my client every day". I saw nothing on *my* client, so I assume he was seeing the red pave street he did himself, and he wasn't using waze for routing, but I just kept quiet and waited for a map update. Never saw the guy again, no answer, no more edits. Did fiz some of the most crucial cases, but hope to get an AM fixing the rest. I wonder if he left waze because one day his daily route disappeared from his map client :D
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor