Jolly drivers

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Jolly drivers

Postby sketch » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:46 pm

Personally, I usually don't "not there" police reports on the off chance that one might be patrolling the area or maybe relocated a half a mile down. Users don't get a notification saying "Someone reported your report as 'not there'", so I don't really understand how it'd have any deterrent effect.

I do the same for "Vehicle stopped on shoulder" reports which are for clearly abandoned vehicles – I don't report them personally, I don't thumbs-up them, but I don't report them as "not there", because I figure someone else would just report it again, making a fresh report that lasts longer than it would even with a thumbs up. Because technically, there isa vehicle stopped on the shoulder...

Undearius wrote:Here's an interesting one that Webs101 picked up

[ img ]

Error: "My lawn mower stopped working"
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby taco909 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:56 pm

ploben wrote:
tonestertm wrote:
ploben wrote:In 9 months I have yet to thumb up a police report from other users. Its either a bad report or the cops here in CT are using Waze and getting smart.
I enthusiastically thumbs-upped a correctly placed Police Report one week ago, as I'm almost certain it saved me from a ticket on an open stretch of highway. The police car was stationary, in a position completely invisible to traffic in my direction, until it was too late.
And now, back to Jolly Drivers! I was certainly a lot happier after that experience. ;)

Any report, especially reports on high speed roads, I appreciate greatly for the warning and already thumb up. Saved my ass yesterday on 91 when someone lost a suitcase full of clothes. My passengers were extremely impressed that my "GPS" warned me of the clothes in the middle of the highway.

And for road hazards such as stopped vehicles and objects, that's great.
But moving police (or ANY moving obstruction, such as a driver doing 20 under) should not be reported. As indicated in another thread, it takes 4 minutes for the report to be processed and fed back to the live map. By that time, the moving officer (or jolly driver) has traveled 2-5 miles and is no longer a valid report at that location.

So yes, every "police" report that pops up, I wait until I can confirm he's not on the side of the road, and I hit "Not there" to discourage future reports of moving officers. Likewise, I see a lot of "police" reports when they have someone pulled over or are working an accident. What is more important to drivers... the accident or vehicles on the shoulder, or the cop that is already busy and is not going to be concerned about passing vehicles other than his safety. For those situations, I report the accident or "Vehicle on shoulder"... not the cop.

Please, if the report is of a cop, wait until you can confirm that they are in fact there before sending the thumbs up.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby ploben » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:21 am

tonestertm wrote:
ploben wrote:
Taco909 wrote:The Live Map has it right... "Police Trap Hidden/Visible"
The app should say "Trap" on the reporting screen.

In 9 months I have yet to thumb up a police report from other users. Its either a bad report or the cops here in CT are using Waze and getting smart.
I enthusiastically thumbs-upped a correctly placed Police Report one week ago, as I'm almost certain it saved me from a ticket on an open stretch of highway. The police car was stationary, in a position completely invisible to traffic in my direction, until it was too late.
And now, back to Jolly Drivers! I was certainly a lot happier after that experience. ;)

Any report, especially reports on high speed roads, I appreciate greatly for the warning and already thumb up. Saved my ass yesterday on 91 when someone lost a suitcase full of clothes. My passengers were extremely impressed that my "GPS" warned me of the clothes in the middle of the highway.
ploben

Postby tonestertm » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:08 pm

ploben wrote:
Taco909 wrote:The Live Map has it right... "Police Trap Hidden/Visible"

In 9 months I have yet to thumb up a police report from other users. Its either a bad report or the cops here in CT are using Waze and getting smart.
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby Fish1552 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:35 pm

ploben wrote:

A friend of mine is a local sheriff deputy and when he was running radar on I-95, he used to thumbs down Waze police reports.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Fish1552
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Jay91150 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:41 pm

petervdveen wrote:That's just GPS noise.

Are you sure his car/phone didn't get caught in a tornado briefly? :D
Jay91150

Postby petervdveen » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:37 pm

That's just GPS noise.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5 met Tapatalk
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby ploben » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:49 am

Undearius wrote:Here's an interesting one that Webs101 picked up

[ img ]

That user either forgot to turn Waze off or the inside of that house is all f***ed up.

I'm really hoping for the latter.
ploben

Postby ploben » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:47 am

Taco909 wrote:
ploben wrote:
xteejx wrote:Some people are just too stupid :(

I'm surprised this driver didn't report "police" thinking they might get law enforcement involved.

Don't get me started on "Police" reports.
I send out dozens of "Not There" every time I'm on the road from the jolly drivers who have a cop in the next lane going the same direction.... and frequently it's the same Wazer reporting the same cop over and over.

Waze really needs a third category of "Police - Moving"... that automatically clears from the map after say 30 seconds to 2 minutes based on the speed limit of the road.
Knowing that a cop WAS there is not particularly helpful to a driver 5 miles behind... but it could be helpful to the guy a few seconds behind who happens to be hard on the gas.

The Live Map has it right... "Police Trap Hidden/Visible"

ploben

Postby undearius » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:35 am

Here's an interesting one that Webs101 picked up

[ img ]
undearius

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor