Jolly drivers

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Jolly drivers

Postby davipt » Fri May 17, 2013 9:46 pm

txemt wrote:Tell them privately to keep away.

I do. If I were on the laptop I could get some of their answers to get back on topic here. ;) stuff like "the map is not yours if I want to fix it my way I fix it and close the report" and then there were zero changes >:)
ImageBruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ
Coordinator for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Fri May 17, 2013 9:55 pm

txemt wrote:
I understand you may want to edit the map, but I am leaving notes for myself on the editor, so I may go back and fix the editor to better serve those who use it. While I understand your eagerness to edit the map, you are actually hindering the process by deleting my notes. I ask kindly that you refrain from deleting my notes on the editor. Thank you, Davipt.

"But I did help you, the roundabout now has all entries and exits like I see on the satellite map" would be an answer to a note of a corrupted roundabout missing a 90 degree turn right/left or saying no exit number and because the roundabouts are usually blocked, their fix would be disconnecting the existing segment, creating a new one (without name, hence red), trying to reconnect both to the roundabout without sucess, zooming in and dragging the node over the roundabout hoping the junction would work by magic.

Fortunately the scripts show the unterminated roads right away :)
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Fri May 17, 2013 10:14 pm

gerben wrote:At the World Champs meetup, Ohad heard we are (ab)using the UR system to leave notes for ourselves. He promised to investigate if it was possible to add a 'note to self' mechanism, something like a UR that is only visible to the person that made the report.

That would be great. Don't tell anyone but because I have automatic gear (rare in portugal) and its quite easy to write on the iPhone I can report everything on my way - wrong street names, corrupted roundabouts, wrong instructions, city limits, etc. so in the end people can see my weekend routes just by looking at all my reports. Fortunately we've published a set of common abbreviations and hints so other editors can understand my reports and do their work and earn the points. :D
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Sat May 18, 2013 11:45 pm

Guy draws a lot of new roads, some clearly newly paved, some created on the editor, some by deleting the existing ones and creating new, some by splitting the two-way into two one way, some Y on roundabouts, etc. etc. but the point is that all of those segments are red without street or city name. I ask him to at least set the two checkboxes or else the streets won't enter the map - not even picking the splitting and Y stuff on the first request - and the guy answers that "of course it's on the map, I can see it on my client every day". I saw nothing on *my* client, so I assume he was seeing the red pave street he did himself, and he wasn't using waze for routing, but I just kept quiet and waited for a map update. Never saw the guy again, no answer, no more edits. Did fiz some of the most crucial cases, but hope to get an AM fixing the rest. I wonder if he left waze because one day his daily route disappeared from his map client :D
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Wed May 29, 2013 9:33 pm

dctdye wrote:
McCracken808 wrote:General Error UR on the beach in Lihue, Kauai. I guess someone has some pretty high standards... :shock:

Maybe the water layer didn't include the ocean. Better go add it!

Water and beach landmarks?
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Thu May 30, 2013 10:40 pm

CBenson wrote:
NoLeftatO.png

Well it's all about the TTS strings. If the string is take a left at the roundabout, me as a non-native-english speaker would also complain. It could be worse, it could be "turn left" :D
My translation in PT is something like "at the roundabout exit to the left" with the emphasis on the "exit". But yes sometimes people will get confused. I hope none drives *through* the roundabout when the instruction is "at the roundabout continue straight" :D
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Fri May 31, 2013 8:10 am

foxitrot wrote:Funny :evil:
davipt wrote: If the string is take a left at the roundabout, me as a non-native-english speaker would also complain. It could be worse, it could be "turn left" :D
My translation in PT is something like "at the roundabout exit to the left" with the emphasis on the "exit". But yes sometimes people will get confused.

It _is_ worse, it _is_ "turn left" in our translation (and I suspect in many other as well). And wazers do complain, for years - desperately. And I can hardly think of an idiom, which would match both a numbered exit and a left/right drive through :-|

at the roundabout, take the first exit
at the roundabout, take the seventh exit
at the roundabout, take the exit to the left
at the roundabout, take the exit to the right
at the roundabout, take the exit straight

If they still complain, change to

at the roundabout, turn right and then turn right to take the first exit
at the roundabout, turn right and then turn right to take the seventh exit
at the roundabout, turn right and then turn right to take the exit to the left
at the roundabout, turn right and then turn right to take the exit to the right
at the roundabout, turn right and then turn right to take the exit straight

And if they still complain, maybe a full blown instruction set to comply with the roundabout rules below (right next to home) http://binged.it/ZxCz47 [img]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_bj4J-N-aB8A/SsMjQwRwyEI/AAAAAAAAABs/H1R1W2yMcWc/s640/Rotunda+-+Exemplo+de+utilização.jpg[/img]

"at the roundabout, keep to the left lane, enter the roundabout by turning right and keeping into the innermost lane until after passing the front exit, then keep right to the outermost late to turn right to exit to the left"
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Fri May 31, 2013 1:38 pm

foxitrot wrote:
davipt wrote:And if they still complain, maybe a full blown instruction set to comply with the roundabout rules below (right next to home) http://binged.it/ZxCz47

You can emphasize the "exit" as strong as you want, but I'd bet that "at the roundabout, take the exit to the left" from "Rua Garcia de Orta" to "Rua da Estação Agronómica Nacional" will never get a broader acceptance :roll: Even if the roundabout were 1/3 of the size.

IMHO from some 10-15-20 meter diameter upwards there should be only numbered exits. Howgh.

That's why left/right/straight is only triggered on roundabouts with 2 to 4 connections (hence why Y entry/exit triangles should be avoided), and only when the angle between the nodes is 90º +-10 or 15. This means for us in Portugal that when the roundabout is a clear "new" construction over a perfectly aligned X crossing (cruzamento) or T junction (entroncamento), and the roundabout big sign clearly shows the 90º, they should say the keepleft/right/straight. Or in other words, when entering the roundabout you can clearly see the 1 to 3 exits at the right angles.

On some cases with 3 segments that are 120º, I use my own greasemonkey script to assure they are literally 120º and will not ever say any left/right/straight.

Cases like the one I sent (Marquês) have 5 segments (6 because of some complexity on the south side related to the red/intermitent yellow signs) so it will always say exit 1st..5nd.

Anyway I've sent that roundabout because it's a "learn how to drive at a roundabout". The lines on the street are drawn in spiral so people are (supposedly) forced to drive to the inner lane and only start leaving to the outer lane when it's time to exit the roundabout.
Every day I see near-accidents due to people driving at the outermost lane, straight through the exit to leaving on the next or even two exits away, and at the same time smart asses entering the roundabout over the left (outer) lane to then leave right on the first exit, which is a beautiful accident to see when they almost crash into each other.
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:30 am

Yeah complicated one. I'd personally keep it slightly simpler (maybe two parallel segments, not three) but what matters are the instructions and if they are working, then don't touch it!
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:22 pm

shawndoc wrote:
ctpoole wrote:Ok, this one baffles me:

Update Request: General error
this road is not there

Located here at Tranquility Ln

https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-97.58 ... TTTTTTTTTT

My guess is the tile failed to load in the client for whatever reason, so no road was appearing in the app where they were driving.

Client or tile bug like the broken street attached, or street disappearing if it's low type (eg primary) and driving fast (eg 90km/h). Here in Portugal every inter-locality road needs to be minor or above or else it disappears from the client. (Nobody respects the 90 limits)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor