Jolly drivers

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Jolly drivers

Postby bz2012 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:31 pm

Now! We know how some of those reports happen:

The reporter on 06.20.2014 02:36 PM:

I think this incident was a butt dial.

I have a hard time seeing WAZE with it in my back pocket. :)
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby Olestas » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:28 pm

I don't think most users will read such a long text :D TLDR.
Olestas
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby qwaletee » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:05 pm

There is a forum post for canned UR responses. This should be moved there. Starting around page 12 I think, we started actually posting some of our goto responses, and some of us have actually created our own Wiki pages for them (see my signature).

https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=129&t=78759

tckma wrote:
sockslabs wrote:I've found the reporter often doesn't recollect where they were when they filed the report, so I usually usually say something like "can you please provide more information on the 'general error' you reported on E. Main St. in Shrewsbury, MA?"

Similarly, my response is based on the type of error, and by observing UR responses of other editors in my area. What I do is this:

For a General Error:

"Hello, and thank you for your report on Main Street in Townburg. Unfortunately, I can't tell exactly what happened. What was the nature of the problem you experienced?"

Usually, the response to that one is crickets.

For Wrong Driving Direction:

"Hello, and thank you for your report on Main Street in Townburg. Unfortunately, as volunteer map editors, we can only see a small portion of the route Waze recommended and a small portion of the route you drove. I see that Waze suggested you to continue on Main Street but you turned left on School Street instead. (or, it seems that you followed the route that Waze suggested.) What was your destination?"

The response to that, if I even get one, is usually something like "Townburg Elementary School, Townburg, USA" at which point I check Google Maps for the location of the school. Or, a response like "2345 Main Street, Townburg, USA" at which point I check house numbers AND the pin location in Google Maps.

I think it would help if we could respond with some sort of template. I find myself typing the same words over and over again in response to URs.
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby tckma » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:44 pm

If the town is ambiguous, I'll omit it. I used to live in sockslabs' neck of the woods, and one thing that struck me when I moved to MD is that town boundaries down here aren't quite as cut-and-dry as they are up in New England.
tckma
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby tckma » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:39 pm

sockslabs wrote:I've found the reporter often doesn't recollect where they were when they filed the report, so I usually usually say something like "can you please provide more information on the 'general error' you reported on E. Main St. in Shrewsbury, MA?"

Similarly, my response is based on the type of error, and by observing UR responses of other editors in my area. What I do is this:

For a General Error:

"Hello, and thank you for your report on Main Street in Townburg. Unfortunately, I can't tell exactly what happened. What was the nature of the problem you experienced?"

Usually, the response to that one is crickets.

For Wrong Driving Direction:

"Hello, and thank you for your report on Main Street in Townburg. Unfortunately, as volunteer map editors, we can only see a small portion of the route Waze recommended and a small portion of the route you drove. I see that Waze suggested you to continue on Main Street but you turned left on School Street instead. (or, it seems that you followed the route that Waze suggested.) What was your destination?"

The response to that, if I even get one, is usually something like "Townburg Elementary School, Townburg, USA" at which point I check Google Maps for the location of the school. Or, a response like "2345 Main Street, Townburg, USA" at which point I check house numbers AND the pin location in Google Maps.

I think it would help if we could respond with some sort of template. I find myself typing the same words over and over again in response to URs.
tckma
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby ScottZane » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:19 am

tel601 wrote:
ur-error.jpg

This is on Interstate 59 in south west Mississippi. If they encountered Bessemer, AL in south Mississippi, there is a big map issue.

That's more than likely not a jolly driver, but is most likely the driver's destination. I see URs like this on semi-frequent occasions here in Southern Cal. One such UR in my area referenced an address in Phoenix. Another UR in Riverside, CA referenced a location in Corona, CA (next city over).

I remembered finding the cause of the one in Riverside, but in other cases I find nothing obvious. In such cases, the only way anything can be done is if the reporter actually responds with more info.
ScottZane

Postby bz2012 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:12 pm

foxitrot wrote:
sockslabs wrote:I've found the reporter often doesn't recollect where they were when they filed the report...

I do not wonder. Unfortunately the UR messages are not helpful at all with reminding s/o on the source of their reported error. If I get a response on my UR, I miss my comment, there is no mention of the start, target, not even the snippets of my driven and recommended routes the editor is able to see in the WME. If the map snippet contains just an unnamed white vertical bar of the street I've driven over, with white surrounding and no other visual features as a hint on the report position, when the client is still not capable of jumping to the corresponding position on its own map, then I'm often literally blind and don't know anymore where the hell I was and what did I actually report in this particular UR

It appears that the UR editor request, when viewed on the client's App, has some major flaws!
The e-mailed editor request provides much better information.
I wonder what can be done to improve the Apps display of the request.

I had not tried to view one, before now, but I made a test and it looks like it was designed, at one time, to show a picture of the map area, but the picture is not usable, and much of the text I see in the e-mail seems missing.

The 'pseudo chat' layout of the message exchange is also a problem rather than a solution, with the text balloons being narrow and tall.

No wonder some REPORTER responses are so 'Jolly'.
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby foxitrot » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:35 am

sockslabs wrote:I've found the reporter often doesn't recollect where they were when they filed the report...

I do not wonder. Unfortunately the UR messages are not helpful at all with reminding s/o on the source of their reported error. If I get a response on my UR, I miss my comment, there is no mention of the start, target, not even the snippets of my driven and recommended routes the editor is able to see in the WME. If the map snippet contains just an unnamed white vertical bar of the street I've driven over, with white surrounding and no other visual features as a hint on the report position, when the client is still not capable of jumping to the corresponding position on its own map, then I'm often literally blind and don't know anymore where the hell I was and what did I actually report in this particular UR

Sent from a touch display, which took care of perfectly scrambling my thoughts.
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Kobes1878 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:00 am

Another useless General Error report...

I propose that we either
    A- Get rid if it.
    B- Make it a requirement to fill out the comment field.
    C- Being that many drivers report while in motion, Waze should automatically send an email to reporters after ALL map error reports requesting additional info.
    D- When a driver clicks on report map error there should be a pop-up box saying "I agree to be contacted by volunteer Map editors if more information is needed and to provide the best possible explanation regarding this report." The box should have a small check box saying "Do not show this message again".

If you guys agree I will formally request this in the WME feature update requests..(unless it has been brought up already). Thoughts?
Attachments
General Errors cont...jpg
(43.35 KiB) Downloaded 577 times
Kobes1878
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby Kobes1878 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:24 am

I really think its time to eliminate the general error option[ img ]

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk
Kobes1878
Map Raider